PDA

View Full Version : SATA and Raid 0

Cameron203
11-24-02, 12:59 PM
What is faster Raid 0 or SATA? Consistantly.

Also with the SATA convertors (the ATA to SATA plugs) do you run power to the convertor and the Hard Drive? The SATA convertor is a 3 pinn and the HD is a 4 pinn. So I guess my question is do you run power to both of them?

Thanks

YARDofSTUF
11-24-02, 02:55 PM
sata vs ata raid 0 i would say would be close now, until we start getting some drives hitting 150megs a sec, but SATA raid 0 will easily rock ata raid 0 :)

Cameron203
11-24-02, 03:01 PM
Hey can you tell me how to hook that up my mobo supports it. Do I just hook up two SATA drives and then create an array like with parallel??? And I only have one Serillel convertor where can I get another one??

YARDofSTUF
11-24-02, 03:12 PM
newegg maybe

hook it up? u plug it in

Cameron203
11-24-02, 04:10 PM
Anyone know where they can be purchased at?

zooner
11-25-02, 02:38 AM
I cant quote my sources, because I read this a while ago.

even in raid0, the sata werent that much faster then the ide raid0. I dont know about seek times, but i remember in read speeds and write speeds... it was less then 5-10 megs a second.

In this case, I would really read as many reviews as you can find. The benefit of sata goes into a lot more then higher speeds. Someday, they promise we'll be seeing sata300 and above. However, right now i wouldnt consider it worth an upgrade.

Cameron203
11-25-02, 08:58 AM
I have a sata mobo so its not like an upgrade for me. But the mobo only came with one ide to sata convertor (for the HD) Does anyone know where one of these can be purchased?

YeOldeStonecat
11-25-02, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Cameron203
What is faster Raid 0 or SATA? Consistantly.

Incomplete question....RAID 0 in what? SCSI? Parallel IDE? Serial ATA?

Are you trying to compare RAID 0 in ATA-100 or ATA-133....to RAID 0 in SATA? Or compare to stand alone SATA?

Striping of HD's is faster than a stand alone drive, old ATA or new SATA. First generation SATA drives are barely a hair faster than current ATA-100/133. The bus itself is capable of much higher speeds, for way on down the road, but the drives themselves perform pretty much the same as current ATA-100/133. Seeks times, transfer times, etc.

Cameron203
11-25-02, 05:56 PM
So should I use SATA Raid 0 or just ATA Raid 0

zooner
11-26-02, 12:35 AM

if you already have the ata pieces, or even part of the pieces... use that.

let's face it. if you use sata raid0, that's bragging rights. as yosc said, there really isnt a difference in speed... yet.

YeOldeStonecat
11-26-02, 06:32 AM

You'll be hard pressed to use SATA RAID "now"....the drives are in production and being prepped for shipping, but finding them "on the shelves" to buy will still be tough for a while.

Performance wise, the first generation SATA drives perform about the same as ATA....so it's your call. When they hit the shelves, they'll command quite the premium price, because "it's brand spanking new SATA technology".

To answer your question better, do you NEED a RAID setup right now? If so, SATA isn't your answer, as they're barely starting to roll off the assembly line, and are hard to find. If you just want to upgrade an existing setup, or simply just want to do RAID "because it sounds cool and everybody is doing it"...and you can wait for some time, then hold out for SATA to arrive. Or if you're on a budget, then plain parallel ATA.

Cameron203
11-26-02, 07:34 AM
Well the reason I ask is because I have everything to set up SATA raid now two 80 giggers, Abit IT7 Max 2 board with SATA Raid compatible, only thing is I have only one of the parallel ata to sata convertors. Abit only includes one(called serillel) with the mobo. That is what I was actually looking for was another one of those.

cyberskye
11-26-02, 09:36 AM
Soooooo, you'll be hanging SATA off a parallel controller system using adapters? The bottleneck will still be there. You shouldn't see any increase over ATA at all.

As YOSC said, considering how bleeding edge this is, you probably don't have many manufacturers carrying parts yet.

YeOldeStonecat
11-26-02, 12:13 PM
Well the reason I ask is because I have everything to set up SATA raid now two 80 giggers, Abit IT7 Max 2 board with SATA Raid compatible, only thing is I have only one of the parallel ata to sata convertors. Abit only includes one(called serillel) with the mobo. That is what I was actually looking for was another one of those.

Haven't looked around, but haven't seen the serillel adapters for sale "by themselves" yet....they're supposed to ship 2x with any SATA RAID card (like if you get a Promise, or a 3Ware)...Abit, as they have been lately, is skimping I guess.

zooner
11-26-02, 06:30 PM
you should contact abit via email and see if they can help you.