PDA

View Full Version : Did my chip overheat???

word_play
11-22-02, 02:04 PM
hey im new here..how u guys doin?

i have an amd 2200+ winxp 512mb ddram hp computer...i was just listening to music(i have winamp 2.81 not 3.0)browsing the net all of a sudden my computer restarted? i heard that amd boards or the chip will restart the computer if it overheats? what happened??? someone told me it might be an IRQ problem...i just bought my computer a week ago...i didnt get the blue screen of death it just restarted...im thinking it just a freak thing cause it hasnt happened again...i really dont want to take it back ..too much of a hassle was it a onetime out of the blue thing or what?
what should i do??

thanks in advanced guys.

YARDofSTUF
11-22-02, 02:22 PM
windows XP? if so its usually set to restart on an error liek a BSOD u can change teh option by right clicking my comp and going to properties then advanced and then startup and recovery and uncheck auto restart this will give u the BSOD screen so u can find out what is causing the error if this is the problem.

word_play
11-22-02, 02:27 PM
do u think it was a heat problem?

thanks.

Scott
11-22-02, 02:28 PM
What operating system are you using? Windows 2K and XP is set by default to reboot on some errors.

YARDofSTUF
no i dont think its a heat issue

word_play
i had people telling me to return it...i just bought the pc about 2 weeks ago. why are people telling me to return it cause it restarted once?

thanks

word_play
11-22-02, 02:29 PM
so its just a fluke thing im assuming...i shouldnt worry about it rite?

The Dude
11-22-02, 02:32 PM
You could monitor your case and proc temps. I use VCool (http://vcool.occludo.net/VCool_de.html) ,it displays the temp in the sys tray. ViaTray (http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/ViaTray.htm) is another good one for AMD processors. what OS are you using? If it's 2k or XP have a look in the control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery. Un check automatically reboot if it isn't already. Next time you may get an error message or the dreaded BSOD.

Scott
11-22-02, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by word_play
do u think it was a heat problem?

thanks.

Probably not.

word_play
11-22-02, 02:39 PM
i have xp...

should i worry about the problem??

Norm
11-22-02, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by word_play
i have xp...

should i worry about the problem?? Of course you should worry. It's a new machine and shuts off when you try to use it. That's not normal.

Check your event logs, they may help you find what is causing the error.

I'd take it back where I bought it to be fixed if it's still under warranty. Something is wrong and needs to be addressed. A piece of hardware, or a driver isn't functioning as it should, and that's what warranty claims are for. If you have changed or upgraded any drivers, try reverting back to the originals that were on the PC when you bought it.

word_play
11-22-02, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Norm
Of course you should worry. It's a new machine and shuts off when you try to use it. That's not normal.

Check your event logs, they may help you find what is causing the error.

I'd take it back where I bought it to be fixed if it's still under warranty. Something is wrong and needs to be addressed. A piece of hardware, or a driver isn't functioning as it should, and that's what warranty claims are for. If you have changed or upgraded any drivers, try reverting back to the originals that were on the PC when you bought it.

this isnt a re-occuring problem it happened once...i have a 3 yr warranty im going to wait and see if it happens again...i didnt upgrade or change any drivers...how do i check my event logs? if it happens again ill take it back cause i have a vast amount of time to take it in...im still thinking it was a fluke thing.

Norm
11-22-02, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure if XP Home has the event viewer. If it does you should be able to access it by creating a shortcut with this line as the command.

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

word_play
11-22-02, 03:27 PM
its been on for about the same amount of time it was b4 it restarted I'm doing the same things (music, browsing etc etc) and nothing has happened since, so im just gonna be patient with it.

thanks guys.