PDA

View Full Version : Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CoolJ
11-21-02, 10:21 PM
So my 700mhz is not cutting it for games anymore. I have a Geforce 3 and get low fps for Unreal 2003, cannot even play street legal because the fps are so bad, and raven shield runs ok until Alot of people surround me.

I have a Gigabyte mother board. Version GA-6BXC Pentium II/III Processor mainboard.

When doom III Comes out, Im gonna buy a whole new motherboard and P4 processor. But in the mean time, can I just buy a PIII 1.2 Ghz chip and drop it in? :confused:

Thanks guys!

monkeyhead
11-22-02, 12:00 AM
dont do that.... will be a waste of money.... and i dont think your mobo will support it

andrew87
11-22-02, 12:16 AM
hes right,

thats a tualatin core P!!! and your motherboard only supports a coppermine p!!!. and dont bother buying a 1.2 there a rip off for the performance you will get from it. for the price of that you can get an AMD. just save up a bit till u can get a P4. or just get an amd.

CoolJ
11-22-02, 09:57 AM
Im a little confused here. My mainbaord is for a PII/PIII Processors, but I cant drop a PIII 1.2 Ghz in?

And will my mother board accept a AMD? I thought it is only compatible with Intels.

andrew87
11-22-02, 04:55 PM
ok lets start again.

your pentium 3 chip has a core called coppermine, there the old pentium 3. the new pentium 3 1.2 have a tualatin core there different. thats why your motherboard wont support it.
and u cant just put an amd in your pentium 3/celeron motherboard cause it wont fit. if u want and amd or a p4 ur going to have to get a new motherboard made for that type of processor.

get me?

zooner
11-22-02, 06:17 PM
I would argue against it, but really the only choice you have under 100 is a new mobo and cpu. You could, within reason at least, get a xp1600 and a mobo that supports it and the sdram you have.

That depends how soon you plan on upgrading ram, mobo, and cpu. I would think that the gf3 is enough and you're choaking on both the cpu AND the sdram limitations though.

You're at the hump I had trouble getting over. Buying new ram, mobo and cpu is expensive!

aagiants
11-22-02, 06:29 PM
the newer p3 have the new tualatin core,u can do some pin tricks to get it to work...

I suggest just buying a p4 and board now

zooner
11-22-02, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by aagiants
the newer p3 have the new tualatin core,u can do some pin tricks to get it to work...

I suggest just buying a p4 and board now

only bummer is that he had sdram ram now and the only boards that support both sdram and ddr prob not worth his time.

CoolJ
11-22-02, 10:50 PM
Thank you very much for the good info guys!

I know what im buying with my christmas money :D

zooner
11-23-02, 12:58 AM
umm... so waht are you gettin with your christmas money?

CoolJ
11-23-02, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by zooner
umm... so waht are you gettin with your christmas money?

New mother board, ram, and processor.

Though spending money on that is not gonna make my car any faster...............:D

zooner
11-23-02, 02:01 AM
you might want to jump on this one.

although there isnt a huge market, there is a market for your old parts. For example, I just paid 120 for a p3 733, hsf, mobo and ram. That isnt going to make you rich, but it'll certainly help you build a better system for the money.

zooner
11-23-02, 02:03 AM
(that's through forums, such as H and amdmb etc)