PDA

View Full Version : Asus A7N8X questions...

cgram23
11-20-02, 05:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I want this board, but I just have a couple of questions. I know it comes with onboard RAID, but will it be a problem if I don't use it? Is there a version without RAID? Also, I was thinking of getting the Audigy 2 with my new system, but I understand that the onboard audio is better. Is this correct? Also, I really like the front panel of the Audigy Platinum. If I use the onboard audio, is there anything similar I could get? And finally, with the dual channel DDR, do I need to get two 256Mb sticks, or can I still just get one 512Mb stick?

YeOldeStonecat
11-20-02, 05:46 PM
You don't have to use the onboard RAID, you can just ignore it, or better yet, disable it in the BIOS.

The nForce audio is quite incredible....give it a short first before getting the Audigy. I do not know of a breakout box for anything other than some Creative cards, and the Hercules Game Theater.

HawaiianGhost
11-20-02, 11:10 PM
An associate of mine has that mobo w/RAID, but he doesn't use it as of yet. I haven't personally gone over to his place to actually see it in action but he does say that he like it over his A7V333. Plus you get the LAN with it too I believe, I think it from Broadcom or Gigabit something like that. If disabling the RAID is anything like the ASUS A7V333, then you will need to set it from enable (default) to disable via jumper pins on the mobo. If you do get it [the mobo] the manual should explain how to with pics.

As for the Audigy I have the first one and I like it, sounds real nice and the neighbors enjoy it to a level. Haven't read much on the Audigy2, but I would wait for the different versions of it to fully release.

terrancelam
11-21-02, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by cgram23
I'm pretty sure I want this board, but I just have a couple of questions. I know it comes with onboard RAID, but will it be a problem if I don't use it? Is there a version without RAID? Also, I was thinking of getting the Audigy 2 with my new system, but I understand that the onboard audio is better. Is this correct? Also, I really like the front panel of the Audigy Platinum. If I use the onboard audio, is there anything similar I could get? And finally, with the dual channel DDR, do I need to get two 256Mb sticks, or can I still just get one 512Mb stick?

1.)You can disable the on-board raid so it won't appear in Windows and use IRQs. I don't know about another version without RAID, but it's always a good option to have.

2.) The on-board sound is decent, but an Audigy 2 would be nicer, it's easily disabled, so not a big problem for you to worry about there as well.

3.) To use the Dual Channel DDR, you need to physically have two sticks of ram, I.E 2 sticks of 256mb in each slot.
However you can still run it in Single Channel DDR mode without a problem if you wanted to.

maroon
11-21-02, 12:05 PM
My question is can you use the serial ATA raid for JBOD? So if I got a serial to ATA adapter, I could add a slower ATA drive without having to slave it to my ATA 133?

A_old
11-21-02, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by maroon
My question is can you use the serial ATA raid for JBOD? So if I got a serial to ATA adapter, I could add a slower ATA drive without having to slave it to my ATA 133?

should be able to if it's implemented by using adapter chips to convert the parallel ata controller port into two serial ata ports. I'd probably not do that myself tho..I'm not sure, but I would assume u could