PDA

View Full Version : What's with Chaintech?

YeOldeStonecat
11-20-02, 04:27 PM
Wow what a bundle of features and goodies, comes boxed in something like a pet carrier, you get quite the hardware bundle with this....LED readout for your tower, rounded IDE cables, key fob,

...and they love the overclockability of the nForce2 board!

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/chaintech/nforce2/nforce2.html

LT-73
11-20-02, 05:02 PM
WoW :eek: This looks really, really good!! I wonder with the new bios fix for the multipliers, how high can she go? :D

Shhhhhhh, do you hear that? She's whispering : " I'm ready baby, here i am. Come and get me!" :nod:

fish59
11-20-02, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat

...and they love the overclockability of the nForce2 board!

Overclocker my ASS.

My KT333 and XP1600 blows that thing away.At same FSB it scores higher mem speed.200 FSB MAX is a joke as my board does 223 FSB.
Not to imply that NFORCE2 is crap,but that CHAINTEC is.

http://webpages.charter.net/mlanter/153.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/mlanter/223.jpg

HawaiianGhost
11-20-02, 09:46 PM
Chaintech makes superior packing, no doubt. For example, not sure if ya' seen the pics that I posted awhile ago of my Chaintech Ti4200 GT21 Special Edition.

PRO'z = Thick VIVO cables, couple of game'z, DVI adapter (which would've cost me about $9.00USD if bought seperately btw). And the packaging was the Most impressive of all, besides the pretty heatsinks and fan. There was no way that card would've got damaged unless someone deliberately SAT on it.
OC'ed to 320Mem/565Core = 11960pts 3DMark2001SE & stabile.

CON'z = Driver'z were generic (old) 28.72'z or 27.82'z(?) so never bothered with that, currently using 40.72'z. OC'ing Utility (TurbographFX) was limited, used PowerStrip v3.20 instead. Can't say I even installed anything from the CD. Not into the DVD thing for my rig, so that WinDVD software was useless to me, maybe I'll get around to it in the future though.

Chaintech get'z brownie pts for appearance that'z for sure.

A_old
11-20-02, 09:49 PM
just to throw in my 2c, i don't trust chaintech yet in the market, i don't care how good the reviews are..they're still cheap and give way too much for the money..which scares me. sorry to be a downer..but i don't know, i wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole yet. chaintech reminds me of jetway, or dfi or something *shudder*

maroon
11-21-02, 01:46 PM
Yep, I love the extras, but my moolah's going with the Asus board. Don't like the yellow & black whether in my comp or on the football field. Go Titans!;)

HawaiianGhost
11-21-02, 07:53 PM
I thoroughly read that review today, not a bad mobo very interesting. So far it has ALOT of good points and not to mention the extra'z - WOW!! For a start price of $188.00 not bad.

The only thing that downed the mobo for me was the BIOS. That BIOS suck'z without the "multiplier" adjustments. My very first mobo Giga-Byte 7IXE4, had a very similiar AWARD BIOS - no multies. Too bad they didn't work on that simple feature that most OC'ing mobo'z do, right from the start. Well atleast they are supposedly working on a NEW BIOS upgrade to enable multi adjustments. We'll have to wait and see...

YeOldeStonecat
11-22-02, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by HawaiianGhost
CON'z = Driver'z were generic (old) 28.72'z or 27.82'z(?) so never bothered with that, currently using 40.72'z. OC'ing Utility (TurbographFX) was limited, used PowerStrip v3.20 instead. Can't say I even installed anything from the CD. Not into the DVD thing for my rig, so that WinDVD software was useless to me, maybe I'll get around to it in the future though.

I wouldn't even consider "old drivers on the cd" being an issue. Most of us who care about our computers and performance throw away any driver CD....going straight to the website for the latest drivers anyways. And since the first Detonator drivers came out, I've always overclocked right within the native drivers, the CoolBits registry hack. No need for 3rd party.

HawaiianGhost
11-22-02, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
I wouldn't even consider "old drivers on the cd" being an issue. Most of us who care about our computers and performance throw away any driver CD....going straight to the website for the latest drivers anyways. And since the first Detonator drivers came out, I've always overclocked right within the native drivers, the CoolBits registry hack. No need for 3rd party.

Well, maybe I was doing something wrong with Coolbits. I dwnlded it and installed it, but when tried to use it, the highest it let me adjust the memory was 100MHz and the core only something like 90MHz. Did I have to change some values in the Coolbits Registry line or something?

YeOldeStonecat
11-22-02, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by HawaiianGhost
Did I have to change some values in the Coolbits Registry line or something?

I dunno, it's worked great for me ever since the beginning....NVTweak==>CoolBits==>Hex value of 3.
Hit f-5 to refresh (no need to reboot, registry chances can adjust on the fly)...and you'll have your hardware options panel.