PDA

View Full Version : what camera should i buy my family for xmas?

Randy
11-14-02, 10:04 PM
the Olympus (http://www.choiceonedigital.com/olcamd5zoomd1.html) or the Canon (http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s200/index.html)

YeOldeStonecat
11-15-02, 04:06 PM
I love my Elph....so does everyone else I recommend it to. Well made, very small so fits in your shirt pocket...pretty much the size of a pack of smokes. Very easy to use software to import your pictures, fast USB upload, fast point and shoot,......all good stuff!

mwkirchner
11-15-02, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Randy
the Olympus (http://www.choiceonedigital.com/olcamd5zoomd1.html) or the Canon (http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s200/index.html)

I can vouch personally for the Olympus D-550 Zoom ... I have one. Best $400 (bought it during the first week of release) that I have spent in a while. My brother just bought one also (paid $279 + shipping for his)... after seeing the results that I got with mine.

Get the Olympus and I will guarantee you that you will NOT be sorry.

Ghosthunter
11-15-02, 06:09 PM
I have an Olympus 2100, and love the image quality, for it only being a 2.1 megapixel, when i show pics to my family on printed 4x6, they have no clue it comes from a digital camera.

What are you really planning on doing with this camera?

Personally Olympus, and Canon both make some of the best cameras out there, so you really cannot go wrong with either one.

Dakota
11-15-02, 08:17 PM
Canon. Always.

Randy
11-15-02, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by davy19
I
What are you really planning on doing with this camera?

just basic stuff our first digital camera (aside from the cool cam)and i want to be able to do fair quality 8x 10s
dont much care about movie modes but zoom is kinda nice however i find optical and digital zooom to be confusing ? the more digital zoom the poorer the quality? i dunno wtf that means i can zoom in on pixels?

poptom
11-15-02, 10:32 PM
You wouldn't go wrong with either brand. Find a store that carries them and see what feels good to you.

Digital zoom is like cropping a print with a pair of scissors.

Dakota
11-15-02, 11:46 PM
just basic stuff our first digital camera (aside from the cool cam)and i want to be able to do fair quality 8x 10s
dont much care about movie modes but zoom is kinda nice however i find optical and digital zooom to be confusing ? the more digital zoom the poorer the quality? i dunno wtf that means i can zoom in on pixels?

Ignore digital zoom. It's a software zoom and can be done anytime after the photo is taken with Photoshop, etc. Actually probably better doing a 'digital zoom' with Photoshop rather than the camera. Your comment 'zoom in on pixels' pretty much says it right there. Take any photo into photo editing software and increase your magnification. That's 'digital zoom' and is a pointless selling point. Optical zoom is a real hardware zoom with the lens, not the camera's software.

Randy
11-16-02, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Dakota
Ignore digital zoom. It's a software zoom and can be done anytime after the photo is taken with Photoshop, etc. Actually probably better doing a 'digital zoom' with Photoshop rather than the camera. Your comment 'zoom in on pixels' pretty much says it right there. Take any photo into photo editing software and increase your magnification. That's 'digital zoom' and is a pointless selling point. Optical zoom is a real hardware zoom with the lens, not the camera's software.

AHA thats what i thought! wtf would i want digital zoom? < what a bs feature! now im tempted to go Canon bcz of olympus seems to be pushing a cart of crapolia

thanks for all your guys help ;) :)

Ghosthunter
11-16-02, 11:12 AM

Yep that why i went with the olympus 2100, it has 10x optical zoom. It also has image stabilization.

Let me tell you how handy that zoom and image stabizliation comes in.

Last year I went to my daughters dance recital, and the rules were no photos being allowed (which I hink is total BS< because they want you to buy thier photos by thier own professional photogropaher)

Anyway I said to myself I am going to try and sneak some photos in, but I could not use flash of course or they would know I was taking pictures.

I was maybe about 50-60 feet away from the stage, and with the 10x optical zoom, and the image stabilziation helped to keep my photos not blurry due to low light, my picutres came out fantastic. My family was so impressed and thought I was a professional, which I told them the camera did all the work for me.

Dakota
11-16-02, 01:35 PM
I am obviously a Canon man. My new dSLR Canon D60 is the best thing since sliced....anything. But, I have also owned a few Olympus cams in the past and there's nothing wrong with their stuff so I am definititely not on the bandwagon calling Olympus cams crap. I had a film-based OM-1 that I had for 20 years and it operated without a hitch that entire time.

Be sure and consult the various review sites before making your decision as we're a pretty biased group here. ;)

Ghosthunter
11-16-02, 05:05 PM
True in fact a lot of Olympus lens are from Canon...

here is good site for professional reveiws

www.dpreview.com

DAVE
11-17-02, 11:16 PM
i had Canon S200 and it's the best digital camera i've ever used
small, stylish design, highly quality picture and the batery last long time
the S230 came out with 3Megapixel

Krazy Kraut
11-17-02, 11:27 PM
if i had to buy one of those
i would get the canon
they make awesome cameras

yikes
11-18-02, 12:03 PM
I would personally choose the olympus, i have had 2 olympus cameras, the latest being the 3020z and have had no issues what soever with either of them. I also own an olympus 35mm.

Nick

Randy
11-18-02, 03:22 PM
well it looks like a tie 7 votes for each camera........hmmmmmmmmm anyone got a coin?

poptom
11-18-02, 03:56 PM
As I was trying to say earlier, get your hands on them and see which one you are feel more comfortable with.

Randy
11-18-02, 04:26 PM
yeah i did get hands on them but its kinda hard to judge them by just looking at them. i think im gonna see if i can find some pics taken by each and also maybe some manuals

thx for all the help eh ;) :)

Ghosthunter
11-21-02, 12:24 PM
See if you can buy them at a place like best buy/walmart where they have an easy exchange/return warranty adn try both out and keep the one you like.

Randy
11-22-02, 03:59 PM
ahhh i see just buy one and if i dont like it simply exhange it .... doh why dint i think of that?