PDA

View Full Version : My (New) Photography Site

yikes
10-16-02, 04:10 PM
Check it out guys, I've been working hard today to put together a site of some of my interesting shots. Let me know your suggestions and give me your feedback both on the photography, and my site!

Thanks!
YiKeS

http://members.rogers.com/nyurkovich

P.S. I will try to add some more pictuers this weekend.

LT-73
10-16-02, 04:28 PM
Awsome site! :nod:

mountainman
10-16-02, 05:03 PM
Hey Nick...very awesome photos. The last one on the landscape page does not work for me. Looks like a Space Needle. Not sure why it's not working.

It is very cool however and I have that HUGE fall photo from another thread as my work desktop. It is beautiful.

:)

yikes
10-16-02, 05:22 PM
the picture of the cn tower should be working now, I forgot to upload it. :)

All the pictures are available in huge 2mb + files, and much larger resolutions if anyone is interested.

mountainman
10-16-02, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by yikes
the picture of the cn tower should be working now, I forgot to upload it. :)

All the pictures are available in huge 2mb + files, and much larger resolutions if anyone is interested.

Hey Yikes - very cool now. Perhaps you could try your hand some more graphics on your site. You can probably shoot something and make it into a great graphic.

Just a thought.

zooner
10-16-02, 09:14 PM
those are VERY good. you should buy your own domain, i bet that www.nyurkovich.com is open.

zooner
10-16-02, 09:15 PM
i used sunset #2 as a background, thanks!

yikes
10-16-02, 09:31 PM
thanks guys!

when you say graphics do you mean to spice the site up to make it look nicer? or edit my photos in photo shop?

yikes

mountainman
10-17-02, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by yikes
thanks guys!

when you say graphics do you mean to spice the site up to make it look nicer? or edit my photos in photo shop?

yikes

I meant graphics to spice your website up. I would highly recommend buying your own domain and either getting a small hosting site or hosting on your own machine. It is really nice to have something nice and easy to give family and friends to check out your stuff. For instance, my wife and I have www.jumpinduo.com (duh) and it is cool to just tell people to check that out. Very easy.

Also, you can do whatever you want with a site and spice it up.

Totally just a thought. Your photos still ROCK on the site you have now.

yikes
10-17-02, 11:09 AM
Only problem being with that is the hosting isssue, I cannot host from my local machine. Provider does not allow it. So I would have to buy some space somewhere else? Maybe when I get it a little larger I will buy my own domain and host elsewhere. I would also like to get a password protected section for my fmaily photo's, but thats down the road aswell. Anyone have any knowledge on how I may do that? using cgi? I tried with asp, and my host, does not support it.

Nick

mountainman
10-17-02, 11:28 AM
I would get the domain name and server space NOW so you can expand when you want and how you want without having to redo your whole site to work with another domain name (page links, etc). It will be nice to have, trust me. I moved from RR free space to www.aplus.net about a year ago. I am very happy with them.

As far as password protecting parts of your site, I would go with the CGI stuff. You can probably get some free scripts somewhere for that (I'm not sure where, because I've never found them). Good luck. It would certainly be awesome!

Let me know if you would need any help.

YARDofSTUF
10-17-02, 02:11 PM
nice pics, like hte abstract stuff.

yikes
10-20-02, 06:47 PM
SITE UPDATED!!!

- animals category added
- new photo's in the landscape section

YiKeS

mountainman
10-20-02, 08:34 PM
Will check them out.

Thanks!

poptom
10-24-02, 01:09 AM
I like this one. It's my kind of thing.

Suggested cropping:

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/poptom/yikesabstract6.jpg

yikes
10-24-02, 09:50 PM
thanks for the input, cropping in what directions though.

widescreen effect? or what?

poptom
10-24-02, 10:36 PM
Compare it with your original. I just pulled it in on all sides to eliminate the sky and other distractions. Actually, I probably should have left more on the right side to move the sun further into the picture. A bit of sky on that side wouldn't distract from the pattern. It doesn't matter what the overall proportions are. Just so it looks right. Many photos can be improved by cropping out unnecessary details. Keep it simple.

I've done of number of reflection photos. You can get some strange effects if the glass is wavy.

I can't put up any examples now because all my good stuff is large framed prints from film.