PDA

View Full Version : The D60 Arrived!!!

Dakota
10-08-02, 08:52 PM
Wowzers! This is one amazing camera. I have A LOT of reading to do with all the settings this thing has. This photo was taken under the worst conditions: All auto settings, default white balance, etc. Pretty much took it out of the box and shot. In addition, it was cloudy and I shot it as a large jpeg. Then took it into photoshop pro 7.01 and did an auto settings and resaved it (again) as a jpeg. So, it has been double-compressed. An absolute no-no and look at the result! Amazing clarity and detail.

It's 2.1 megs so here's the link: http://racefamily.racinglines.com/large/100-0064a_IMG.jpg

And yes, I'll be posting some MUCH better pictures in the future. It looks like the battery grip will take a month or so, but that's cool as one battery lasts 500 shots or some wild thing like that. Anyway, I'm a bit overwhelmed with this thing right now and zm coming to grips with how little I know about digital photography. I am so looking forward to learning this inside and out. And I will.

Noevo
10-08-02, 08:57 PM
congrats Dak!

Can't wait to see pics from it

brembo
10-08-02, 08:57 PM
Showoff.....:D

Best be gettin some tasty Rally shots with that, lest I come over to WA and relieve you of the burden of such a device. Macro is your friend, you can play with a digi so much more, cuz the results are pretty much instant.

Whats the download format, PLEASE tell me its firewire.

Mehmet
10-08-02, 08:58 PM
forget the camera! I want the cat! nice looking kitty ya got there!

Cool camera too :D

TEH WIN
10-08-02, 08:59 PM
wow, thats a nice camera?

how many bills did that set you back?

Dakota
10-08-02, 09:05 PM
Thanks Noevo. There will be pics coming! Only the one so far. I'm too busy reading the freaking instructions! I'll be a pro at it in a short time though.

Brembo: Yeah..I'll be practicing for the rally cars and CART racers for next year. In the meantime I'll track down some winter SCCA stuff over at PIR (Portland International Raceway) as soon as see the schedule. Off the camera it's USB, but I have a firewire reader coming anyway. I never like reading off the camera.

Vegeto: That's Atlanta. She's a sweetheart. She's a Maine Coon. We have three Coons.

Teh Win: $2200 USD

downhill
10-08-02, 09:14 PM
Wow...I'm impressed.

The out of focus part isn't streaked!!

One of these days. :D

Dakota
10-08-02, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by downhill
Wow...I'm impressed.

The out of focus part isn't streaked!!

Yeah! That was the first thing I noticed too. I'll shoot some RAW shots here over the weekend and we'll really some awesome shots. Our fall colors are starting to show.

Docsta
10-08-02, 10:04 PM
damn thats nice dude...good find.

brembo
10-08-02, 10:06 PM
Waddya mean "streaked"? Some kinda indication of inferior lens or too little info..I.E. ya need more pixels?

brembo
10-08-02, 10:15 PM
Okay, here is a blurry pic. Just so ya know.

Sony DSC-S-70. 3.3(2?) megapixel. Carl Zeiss lens system. I took that on macro mode for a set distance of 9 feet, and intentionally blurred it. Lowest reso setting, didn't wanna up a 1.5 meg pic ya know. I just wanna know if there is streaking, and what to look for.

http://66.186.219.149/blurry.JPG

Docsta
10-08-02, 10:45 PM
i like the creative system you got goin on ur system brembo :)

brembo
10-08-02, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Docsta
i like the creative system you got goin on ur system brembo :)

Thanks, I do too. TOS links for me! 12 foot optical cord goin into a Marantz amp. 1000 watt sub for making Unreal sound oh-so good. Saw one in friends comp and HAD to have one.

downhill
10-08-02, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by brembo
Okay, here is a blurry pic. Just so ya know.

Sony DSC-S-70. 3.3(2?) megapixel. Carl Zeiss lens system. I took that on macro mode for a set distance of 9 feet, and intentionally blurred it. Lowest reso setting, didn't wanna up a 1.5 meg pic ya know. I just wanna know if there is streaking, and what to look for.

http://66.186.219.149/blurry.JPG

Well I don't see a lot of streaking in that one. Maybe take a different shot of something...but...try and get the center of the pic in focus...I'm not an expert with a digital cuz I've never used one. But try this...you need a small appeture setting with a close focus. Usually under low light conditions.

Dakota, looking forward to seeing more pics! I'm still wowed. :) That's a great pic.

brembo
10-08-02, 11:10 PM
Okay...hows this. Thats a standard screwdriver bit. Backlit and as close focus as I could get without a tripod. Its on top of my VR M60 speaker...heh.

http://66.186.219.149/DSC00010.JPG

downhill
10-08-02, 11:14 PM
Nope, don't see any streaking in that one either..

Cool looking pic...you should post that in my abstract pic thread....:)

Dakota
10-08-02, 11:17 PM
That Sony does a fine job. And it's not really streaks per se, it's really noise from low light and less detailed areas where you'll see banding, but that Sony does well in low light, as advertised and has much less noise that a lot of other cameras. You'll see a little here:

http://racefamily.racinglines.com/large/blurry2.jpg

And in this area:

http://racefamily.racinglines.com/large/blurry3.jpg

In the bit pic ( ;) ) there is a little banding/noise, but like I said, that Sony is a fine camera and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of a camera pissing match because that's not what this thread is about.

Have a snack! :D

http://racefamily.racinglines.com/large/100-0071_IMG.JPG

downhill
10-08-02, 11:27 PM
That is something we put into our mouths? LOL

Dakota...you should post that on in the abstract thread...

Cool pic. You like lots of butter? lol

Dakota
10-08-02, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by downhill
That is something we put into our mouths? LOL

Dakota...you should post that on in the abstract thread...

Cool pic. You like lots of butter? lol

Heh..It's all Brembo's fault. Now I'm in macro mode. Back in the Amiga days when I was beta testing for Digital Creations and using their DCTV (video still captures) I used to super macro on objects and then we'd have a contest to see who could get what the object was. We had loads of fun with that.

That's Jolly Time's Blast O' Butter. LOL! Abstract thread? Hmmm...off into a new land... ;)

brembo
10-08-02, 11:35 PM
No, no pissing match. I was curious as to what streaking is. I figured mine would do such things and wanted to know what to look for. I see now, its when the camera get confused a puts wrongish colors in places it can't figure out. Makes sense I guess.

Banding I assume is where the colors are entirely to deliniated, like the flat surfaces on the lower really dark parts of the bit?

BTW, whats the speed threshold for a digi? I'm sure film can whip it, but for race cars and such, will digi hold up?

Dakota
10-09-02, 12:06 AM
You got it right on the banding and noise. The Sony does especially well. Better than most. My 2.2 Fuji sucks at it and has terrible low-light noise. The D60 has a built-in 'noise filter' though a lot of that stuff can be filtered out through some creative Photoshop techniques.

The high-end Canon/Nikon/Contax cameras have no problem with speed shots these days. Just look at the shots on my website in the CART section as I know for a fact that 90% of these shots I have on the site are either Nikon D1(x)'s, 100's, or Canon D60's or 1D's. I did see many digitals at the Rally I went to and I'm sure the WRC photoboys use digital too.

I always swore against getting an expensive digital camera until they made an acceptable SLR that was comparable to 35mm.

That day is here bro...And it only get's better now with Canon's new 11.1mp and Kodak's 13.45mp cams out next year with $5K and $9K pricetags, respectively.

People are doing 30x40 blowups with the D60's, so I am more than satisfied with it. Yes, to get a blowup that large you have to run your photo through some intensive Photoshop routines, but it's not that difficult and there are some awesome pro tools out there for doing just that.

If that was not the case, I'd still be using my 35mm and snap-shotting (only) with the digi.

Photography has ALWAYS been my passion so the bucks spent is not that big a thing for a pro camera of this caliber. I've pretty much waited my entire life for this camera. I've never had one close to this high-end.

Am I showing off? Damn straight I am! :D I deserve it!!!

mountainman
10-09-02, 09:44 AM
Dakota - I have a couple of questions for you.

First, where did you buy your camera, if you don't mind me asking? What did you think about their service?

Second, on a couple of places, I saw that you buy the "body". What does that mean? Does that mean you are buying it without a lens?

Thanks man.

Great camera. My stepdad in Colorado is looking for one to buy. :)

Dakota
10-09-02, 08:20 PM
jumpinduo: I bought it at Kits Camera, which is owned by Ritz. The camera was shipped directly from Ritz in Maryland. I give them a big thumbs up in service, even though they screwed up. Here's the short version:

I knew this camera was in short supply worldwide, especially here in the states. I was told when I ordered it that it would be up to a four month wait. That was fine.

In the meantime I read on several forums that Canon is (finally) stepping up production on the most wanted camera on the planet and that they had hoped to have all backorders filled within 60 days. Cool.

My wife calls me frantic two weeks ago today because our guy from Kits called and they (Ritz in Maryland) was wanting to ship the camera, but our credit card was messed up. As it turned out, the guy that was running the card pre-authorized the purchase, reserving the money, and then tried making the purchase without cancelling the authorization. We did not have $4400 in the account so it didn't take. After 3 hours on the phone between Kits in Portland and our credit union on California we just figured to deal with it in the morning.

Then my guy calls me in the AM, and I expect to hear that it's been shipped. Nope. My name 'accidentally' got bumped up in front of 400 other people that have been backordered since May/June/July/August and that I would NOT be getting a camera and would be placed back on the list.

Needless to say I was bummed. Finally on the next Tuesday I figured I'd call Ritz to check the status of my order, but I cannot because it was ordered through brick-and-mortar Kits. After about three other phone calls I am getting a little disgusted and wish I had ordered through B&H.

And yes, when you buy a camera 'body' you are purchasing the camera without any lenses. That's how they come from the factory. The 'kits' are assembled later by the dealers. I have several compatible lenses that I use on my 35mm Canon EOS650, so that's why I bought it like that.

One dealer that sells some pretty cool kits is State Street Direct at www.ssdonline.com - I have made several purchases through them and am also very satisfied. In fact I just got my Lexar firewire CF card reader today from them that I ordered on Sunday off their website.

The customer service gal, Gloria, that I finally got in touch with was awesome and she said she would "have an answer today." Several hours later my guy at Kits calls and questions me about complaining to their corporate office. After I explain to him that I was not complaining about him, he then informs me that they will make good on their mistake and I'd get bumped (back to) the top and get the very next camera, but they had none in stock at that time. Two days later, it was shipped.

So yeah, I highly recommend Ritz/Kits or any of the many affilliates as they conceded to their mistake and made it right for the customer. We can't ask for more than that.

It is a most awesome machine and I am very impressed with it. I have always wanted a 'pro' camera all my life and now I finally have one. Sweet...

mountainman
10-09-02, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the info. That camera certainly is pretty awesome.

Someday, I'll own something along those lines. After buying these two toys I just got, I won't be buying anything big for a long time. :)