PDA

View Full Version : Oh DAMN!

Brk
09-12-02, 08:53 PM
All of a sudden, I just heard my 120 GB WD SE drive just park its head, and when I tried accessing the drive through Explorer, it took nearly 30 seconds to show the folders.

It also sounds like the head is parking/unparking during boot up, while my 80 GB doesn't...

No...no.....!

Brk
09-12-02, 09:14 PM
Oh God...now it's doing it over and over again...this disk is FRIED!

axtrader
09-12-02, 09:24 PM
Geez man, that really sucks!

Hope that wasn't your primary storage drive.

:(

Brk
09-12-02, 09:30 PM
It's where I store all my audio projects, samples and loops...80+ GB worth...and no way to back it ALL up. Guess I'll just get all the essentials...

cy
09-12-02, 09:44 PM
I hate to mention this again since it's a painful memory....

Last time my drive made this sound..then after 10 sec, it went on fire....40GB of MP3/Videos gone..... :(

axtrader
09-12-02, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Recondite
It's where I store all my audio projects, samples and loops...80+ GB worth...and no way to back it ALL up. Guess I'll just get all the essentials...

Damn Recon, I feel for you man! 80GB of audio projects, samples and loops....I think I'd shoot myself!

Well, I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better or help you. Hybrid recently had a HD catastrophy involving over 16,000 mp3's. Maybe he can offer you some good advice.

Best of luck man.

Brk
09-12-02, 09:55 PM
Well, I have all the samples/loops on the original CDs, but it took FOREVER to copy them all to the disk. I backed up my project files and just got an RMA fron Western Digital.

I'm wondering though...should I wipe the drive first or just send it "as is"?

LT-73
09-12-02, 10:10 PM
I'd wipe it clean just in case ;)

Don't want any of those techs getting a hold of your pr0n ;)

axtrader
09-12-02, 10:14 PM
WIPE! WIPE! WIPE!

You probably don't have any personal info on the drive, like financial account info or confidential docs, but I'd still wipe it if I were you. I dunno, I guess I'm just freaky like that, privacy issues and so forth.

Look at it this way. It took you innumerable hours to amass your collection of audio files. You want some dopey no talent WD tech geek to be able to access and utilize the fruits of YOUR labor? No way! Wipe that bad boy! :nod:

Brk
09-12-02, 10:16 PM
And innumerable dollars, too!

axtrader
09-12-02, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Recondite
And innumerable dollars, too!
Q.E.D.

BTW, glad you were able to backup your most important data. :D

LT-73
09-13-02, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by axtrader
Q.E.D.

BTW, glad you were able to backup your most important data. :D

I agree ! ;)

Brk
09-13-02, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys...but I'll probably have to buy another CD drive once I re-copy all these CDs again!