PDA

View Full Version : RAM: 512MB or 1GB?

axtrader
09-12-02, 04:51 PM
I'm going to have a new computer built for me in the near future and would like some opinions.

Do I need 1GB of RAM or is 512MB sufficient?

Budget is not an issue. I'm not a gamer, but I will probably be doing some video editing stuff now and then. I also don't like to upgrade frequently, once every 2-3 years is just fine by me.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

:)

rickoic
09-12-02, 04:56 PM
Way back when, I was asked the same question from a young snapper whose decision was 4mb or 8mb of ram. I told him then and the same applies now, get 8mb and make sure its on one chip so you will have room to expand, because sooner than later there will be a program that you want to buy that says will run on 4mb, but runs much better with 8mb.
Get the 1GB on 1 chip if you can.
Rick

§I€MFKR™
09-12-02, 04:56 PM
Well AX, It must be nice budget's are not a factor in your world:rolleyes: :p

axtrader
09-12-02, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Hybridmonolith
Well AX, It must be nice budget's are not a factor in your world:rolleyes: :p

Stop threadjacking! :mad:

Rickoic, thanks for your response.

§I€MFKR™
09-12-02, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by axtrader
Stop threadjacking! :mad:

Excuse me, Mr Trump.:p

§I€MFKR™
09-12-02, 05:54 PM
Bump, For da AxMan, and because this thread has been jacked:eek:

LT-73
09-12-02, 07:02 PM
Yo Axman

2 sticks of 512mb is more than enough for the pr0n you're going to be editing :p

axtrader
09-12-02, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by LT-73
Yo Axman

2 sticks of 512mb is more than enough for the pr0n you're going to be editing :p

LMAO!! :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks Bro, knew I could count on you!

LT-73
09-12-02, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by axtrader
LMAO!! :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks Bro, knew I could count on you!

No problemo ! ;) :D

monkeyhead
09-12-02, 09:43 PM
512 is plenty for pretty much any application... but if budget isnt an issue i guess 1 gig works too

Deus ex Machina
09-12-02, 10:45 PM
It is OS dependant as well. I have played around with my dually and win2K. I have not seen any apreciable difference going over 512M (I do have 1.5 GB... though it is more for bragging:)), save in some video conversions. If it is a choice, go with faster 512M than slower 1G.

Brk
09-13-02, 12:41 AM
I've always fallen in the "get what you can afford" camp. Of course, I have a board that only supports 512 MB. :)

axtrader
09-13-02, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Recondite
I've always fallen in the "get what you can afford" camp. Of course, I have a board that only supports 512 MB. :)

Recon, you've got a terrific board. P4T533 right? I've considered that board. Only drawback is that it only has 2 RIMM sockets. I've been driving myself crazy trying to locate Samsung 512MB RIMM4200 PC1066. I know Samsung makes the RIMM's, I just can't locate them. I sent them an email yesterday. Hopefully they can locate a supplier for me. If I don't hear back from them I might drive over to their exec offices here in NJ (I can see their building from my balcony) and ask in person. ;)

YeOldeStonecat
09-13-02, 06:55 AM
If you're going to video edit...believe me, for the extra 150 bucks or so, getting a gig of RAM will be well worth it. Especially if you're using WinXP, but even with Win2K. Good video editing software will easily and happily utilize all the RAM that you have, and when crunching away at videos.....having twice the RAM will really cut down on the time needed to finish one.

Also, take my advice here, since you're having it built for you, insist on Western Digital Special Edition hard drives.....the ones with the 8 meg cache on them. For video editing....big big big BIG improvement in performance since you work with large files. And I highly suggest you get 2x drives....and don't RAID them. Keep your first hard drive as your C partition to install all of your programs, and keep your second hard drive completely blank as another partition, to use as your swap file for your video editing program.

I have a couple of clients who are into video editing, and have built rigs for them. One of them does it as a part time job now, doing professional videos for physical rehab, and she's very invovled in video editing forums...I get a lot of feedback from her on video editing computer rigs.

axtrader
09-13-02, 07:14 AM
Recon and Deus, thanks for your input.

YOSC, wow. Great advice about the hard drives. I was already planning on having 2 HD's. A 100GB as my primary and a 120GB as a mirror (non-RAID backup). You've got me thinking about using a third HD just for Photoshop, Pinnacle and Cubase work, plus I better go with the 200GB WD as a mirror. Many thanks for your suggestions. Make sure your pm Inbox is clear, I'll probably hit you with a few more questions. ;)

YeOldeStonecat
09-13-02, 07:35 AM
Yeah Pinnacle will love a hard drive all for itself to use for scratch pad/churning away. She uses a few Pinnacle products.