PDA

View Full Version : Good Tools

Islam
09-11-02, 11:36 PM
Where can I get a nice one to use it inside computers and hardware ?

Thx

LT-73
09-11-02, 11:37 PM
Home depot
Sears
Ace hardware

Islam
09-11-02, 11:44 PM
Cheap *****

LT-73
09-11-02, 11:53 PM
You wanna use it for computers or you wanna build the space shuttle?

Craftsman is one of the best tools on this planet! With a lifetime garantee!

If you've got the money to burn then get

Snap-on Or Mac

Brk
09-12-02, 12:01 AM
If you really wanna be cheap, just get that Fellowes toolkit available at virtually every Office Depot on Earth!

cy
09-12-02, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Islam
Cheap *****

I don't see Home Depot selling cheap $hit dude..

YeOldeStonecat
09-12-02, 06:56 AM
Sears....several great little tool kits to get, with various small flat & phillips drivers, mini-sockets, and torx...with a magnetic head in the mix.

You skimp on the tools, save what, 2 or 3 bucks, to get a phillips driver that strips and rounds it's tip in a few uses?

LT-73
09-12-02, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Sears....several great little tool kits to get, with various small flat & phillips drivers, mini-sockets, and torx...with a magnetic head in the mix.

You skimp on the tools, save what, 2 or 3 bucks, to get a phillips driver that strips and rounds it's tip in a few uses?

I'll ditto that ! :nod:

Between sears, ace hardware and Home depot, i've got all the tools i need and then some ! :D

Always remember with tools:

If you want good, it ain't gonna be cheap, and if you want cheap, it ain't gonna be good ;)

YARDofSTUF
09-12-02, 10:37 AM
... newegg.

Vesuvius
09-12-02, 10:43 AM
Let's get real here guys. If you are wrenching on diesel engines then, yes you need some high quality tools. If you are wrenching on an aluminum cased computer with a few stainless steel screws, a screwdriver you found at the salvation army could do the job just as well.

If you are breaking tools while working on a computer you have bigger problems than what brand they happen to be.

Save your cash for computer upgrades and go buy a cheap set of smaller screwdrivers :)

YeOldeStonecat
09-12-02, 04:23 PM
I am being real. I have years and years of opening up thousands and thousands of computers, and I've had to deal with many tools...many of which are freebies big makers like Dell, HP, Compaq ship with replacement warranty parts. Nothing worse than having a cheap screwdriver that's sooo flimsy and wimpy that the end twists due ot the torque applied to a stubborn screw. Or one that's so small, you slip and drive the head of a tool up along your system board....cutting traces along the way.

You ever see lightweight phillips head screw drivers which lose their points because they're made of such cheap metal, it cannot hold shape. Pretty soon it starts stripping out the crosscuts of a phillips head screw. What good is that?

I'd rather have a decent set of tools, with a good no-slip rubber grip, and quality ends on it that don't wear out.

The difference is only a couple of bucks anyways, especially since sears often has them on sale so often.

rickoic
09-12-02, 05:00 PM
I can just see a magnetic screwdriver getting close to a ram chip or the cpu. And it does wonders for hard drives and floppies.
Rick

YeOldeStonecat
09-13-02, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by rickoic
I can just see a magnetic screwdriver getting close to a ram chip or the cpu. And it does wonders for hard drives and floppies.
Rick

Yes you obviously have to be smart when using them, and be aware of keeping a distance from some compenents. But they're still a necessity if you work on 'puters every day.