PDA

View Full Version : Thermaltake Volcano 7+ and overkill...

WhoNut
09-11-02, 09:46 AM
Hey all,

I ordered all the parts and pieces to build my new PC and it started arriving in the mail today. I had ordered from a number of internet sources (thanks Ken!), and I don't know when I have all the goodies, but it's fun seeing each piece come in seperately.

Anywho, I got the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ and I think I made a mistake. This thing is frigging huge! I swear it weighs three pounds, and it has a three speed selector switch on it.

I will be running an AMD 1800 processor. Why the hell do I need this fan? Should I send it back and get just something more standard? Why does this fan have three speeds on it? Doesn't it make sense that if a fan has three speeds, that they would be electronically controlled instead of manually?

I am an idiot, show me the light.

YeOldeStonecat
09-11-02, 09:53 AM
It's huge because it's very capable. 3 speed fan because you can control the RPM's needed to cool. If you don't overclock, then keep the speed low, so it's nice and quiet. If you overclock moderately, speed on medium...so it sounds about the same as other fans, or a wee bit quieter. If you overclock like crazy, crank it up...but warning...she's loud at full bore.

Yes it's huge, but I love mine.

LT-73
09-11-02, 11:18 AM
I have the Volcano 7 and the AX7 and i luv them both !

I remember the first time i saw the Volcano 7. Geeeeeeez i thought the same thing, this dam thing is gigantic! But man o man, it does a fantastic job of cooling! I don't have that 3 way switch, but nonetheless, its a fantastic cooler!

Now the AX7 is a giant heatsink as well. Weighs alot more than the Volcano too. But combined with the Tornado fan @ 84cfm, my oc'ed xp1600 max temp @ full load is 47c

Never skimp out on the best cpu cooling! It's better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it !

Am i right YOSC ? :D

YeOldeStonecat
09-12-02, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by LT-73
Never skimp out on the best cpu cooling! It's better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it !

Am i right YOSC ? :D

Roger that!