PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't power up

Cameron203
09-10-02, 01:41 AM
I posted a question about this before since then I have ordered a new mobo and installed and same thing happened Computer will not power up all the fans will turn on and the hd and cd drive light up and will open/close but computer will not boot up. Could this be the power supply even though everything is powering up hence the cd and fans coming on? the hd is not spinning though.

§I€MFKR™
09-10-02, 01:43 AM
Make sure all wires are good, and if they are. I would say the PSU, i thought that when you first posted this with the other mobo. This is the Slot A mobo right?:D

LT-73
09-10-02, 01:44 AM
Maybe, but did you make sure the cmos jumper is in the normal mode ? Also make sure the cpu is seated completely on the socket.

Make sure all the psu connections are properly set in the sockets. You might have to back check evrything.

§I€MFKR™
09-10-02, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by LT-73
Maybe, but did you make sure the cmos jumper is in the normal mode ? Also make sure the cpu is seated completely on the socket.

Make sure all the psu connections are properly set in the sockets. You might have to back check evrything.

Damn LT, You the man:nod: Sound like Tech Support:eek: :eek: :D

Cameron203
09-10-02, 01:57 AM
Sorry Guys. Found the problem I had the pwsupply from the case hooked up wrong. This mobo is a little different than the last I like it though. By the way i posted this all of 30 sec. ago damn you guys are fast. One problem though I don't know if you guys remember me telling you that the spec sheet on the old mobo said it was an atx mobo. I got the asus today and its way to big for this case. So I will have to buy one cheap case. But other than that everything is smooth.

§I€MFKR™
09-10-02, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Cameron203
Sorry Guys. Found the problem I had the pwsupply from the case hooked up wrong. This mobo is a little different than the last I like it though. By the way i posted this all of 30 sec. ago damn you guys are fast. One problem though I don't know if you guys remember me telling you that the spec sheet on the old mobo said it was an atx mobo. I got the asus today and its way to big for this case. So I will have to buy one cheap case. But other than that everything is smooth.

That case must be Micro-ATX, S h i t t y .:(

LT-73
09-10-02, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Hybridmonolith
That case must be Micro-ATX, S h i t t y .:(

Now that sux ! Well at least you got a new mobo. Go to newegg and get a case. They have a great Maxtop case for $32 !! It's the same one i have. Except of couse i modded mine :D ;)

onetrueday
You dont need cheap...

You need a maxtop case from newegg, they are amazing. Used one of them for one that I build for someone a while back. I worked amazing, came with 3 80mm fans, 300watt PS and only cost $50!

cant beat that.

LT-73
Originally posted by Hybridmonolith
Damn LT, You the man:nod: Sound like Tech Support:eek: :eek: :D

Lil 'ol me? nahhhhhhhhh ! lol ;)

LT-73
09-10-02, 02:09 AM
http://files.joako.com/Maxtop.jpg

MAXTOP CSX-147K2F-GF-USB-GRAY **Cool Case** With 2 Additional Ball Bearing Fans : 1 x on the Top Panel and 1 x on the Side Panel ** Intel P4/AMD Ready No Power Supply 2xFans 6-bay Front USB Connector Mid Tower PC CASE - RETAIL Fan: Ball Bearing.
Dimensions (DxWxH): 18.5" x 8"x17".
Drive Bays:
4x 5.25"External
4x, 3.5" Internal
2x, 3.5" External Model#: CSX-147K2F NO PS *** Click here for POWER SUPPLIES. *** FedEx Saver Shipping $13.00
- Product Link -See It! (image count 7 ) -Price Alert (N82E16811150017)
Save $4 when you buy this item with Newegg.com Black Aluminum Silver Cut Case BadgeSave $5 when you buy this item with ARTEC Black DVDROM 16X IDE DHI-G40 Retail
(avg rating out of 54 voters)

This is what i have except i painted mine with a marble finish and added some custom fan grills to go with my new fans and i also added a digi-nurse. Those tiny pinholes in the front don't let much air inside thru the front so idrilled them out with a 1/4 bit. Looks great and i have great airflow! I did'nt need that usb front panel so i took it out and i covered that spot up with a kewl AMD XP case badge. Soon as i get my camera back, i'll post pics of it.

I paid $32 without a psu. Did'nt need one. It's about $15 more with a 300w psu.

Cameron203
09-10-02, 02:10 AM
I am somewhat confused on the overclocking aspect of this though. The mobo manual says, "there are no multiplier settings here because AMD athlon processers have fixed frequency settings."

Also it says you can change the speed of the ram or something? Can someone throw me a lifejacket here never oc'ed an amd.

here is the link to the mobo spec sheet
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slota/k7m/k7m-104.pdf
also i have an amd athlon 700mhz

§I€MFKR™
09-10-02, 02:14 AM
I am somewhat confused on the overclocking aspect of this though. The mobo manual says, "there are no multiplier settings here because AMD athlon processers have fixed frequency settings."

Also it says you can change the speed of the ram or something? Can someone throw me a lifejacket here never oc'ed an amd.

here is the link to the mobo spec sheet
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slota/k7m/k7m-104.pdf
also i have an amd athlon 700mhz

Your in luck, Cause OCing AMD is LT's gift, ask any girls around and they will tell you the same thing:nod:

Cameron203
09-10-02, 02:17 AM
Your awesome hybird.

Hey LT i think i've managed to figure this out fixed multiplier settings only thing you can do is increase the clock speed?? Is that right.?

What would you recommend taking this 700mhz to?

LT-73
09-10-02, 02:18 AM
ok, you know what cameron, you're not gonna get much outta a 700, trust me. Go to newegg and get a XP1600.

Blowout Special WOW! AMD Athlon 1600+/266 FSB XP PROCESSOR CPU - OEM Athlon XP 1600+/ 1.40GHz, AX1600DMT3C. The AMD Athlon XP processor with QuantiSpeed architecture powers the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extraordinary computing experience.
Specifications:
CPU: 1.4 GHz
Type: 1600 XP
Cache: 256K
BUS: 266MHz
Socket A (PGA) OEM (Processor Only) Model#: AX1600DMT3C *** Click here for CPU Coolers *** ( Click here for thermal paste/grease, including Arctic Silver 3. ) -OEM Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

It's $55 !!! And you can overclock this baby !! :nod: This is the cpu i got and after unlocking it, well........have you checked my sig ? :D

§I€MFKR™
09-10-02, 02:20 AM
Hey LT way is Granite Baby down?:D

LT-73
09-10-02, 02:24 AM
i had to take that other tornado fan i installed in the front of my main rig so when i was moving it aside to unplug the cables, i knocked my 4 port hub over and the shiznit is dead. i used the hub to have both rigs on one cable modem. i gotta wait till i get another nic card and hook her back up.

damm hub is only 2 months old and i just killed it .

§I€MFKR™
09-10-02, 02:28 AM
i had to take that other tornado fan i installed in the front of my main rig so when i was moving it aside to unplug the cables, i knocked my 4 port hub over and the shiznit is dead. i used the hub to have both rigs on one cable modem. i gotta wait till i get another nic card and hook her back up.

damm hub is only 2 months old and i just killed it .

That's s h i t t y man, I hate when i break s h i t .:( :nod:

cy
09-10-02, 02:29 AM
ok, you know what cameron, you're not gonna get much outta a 700, trust me. Go to newegg and get a XP1600.

Blowout Special WOW! AMD Athlon 1600+/266 FSB XP PROCESSOR CPU - OEM Athlon XP 1600+/ 1.40GHz, AX1600DMT3C. The AMD Athlon XP processor with QuantiSpeed architecture powers the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extraordinary computing experience.
Specifications:
CPU: 1.4 GHz
Type: 1600 XP
Cache: 256K
BUS: 266MHz
Socket A (PGA) OEM (Processor Only) Model#: AX1600DMT3C *** Click here for CPU Coolers *** ( Click here for thermal paste/grease, including Arctic Silver 3. ) -OEM Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

It's $55 !!! And you can overclock this baby !! :nod: This is the cpu i got and after unlocking it, well........have you checked my sig ? :D

But hey LT, don't forget you are lucky enough to get the YOGIA (or whatever it's called) stepping..that's why you could put it that far. But oh well, I agree, get an XP1600+ and you'll have way more fun playing with the 700Mhz. :)

Or grab yourself a AXIA stepping 1Ghz ThunderBird if you are low in budget and then enjoy the fun of gaining 45% of speed by OCing (reachable to 1.45Ghz) :D:D
But then..hmm....nah...get an XP! Better value :)

Cameron203
09-10-02, 02:30 AM
LT this is the ASUS K7M mobo it doesn't support athlon XP's does it? Anyways this was given to me and i just wanna get a case and sell it.

LT-73
09-10-02, 02:35 AM
oh, well in that case newegg has some really cheap cases. Check out the refurbished section. After you get rid of that mobo with the 700mhz cpu, get yourself an Abit board, xp1600 and that case i posted up. I'll show ya some really kewl tricks on how to make it scream! ;)

But you're not gonna get much outta that 700. Especially if that board won't let you play with the multi's or fsb.

cy
09-10-02, 02:35 AM
LT this is the ASUS K7M mobo it doesn't support athlon XP's does it? Anyways this was given to me and i just wanna get a case and sell it.

OooooooOO! Ya, forgot about it! No XPs for ya :(

It'll probably take up to 1.2Ghz TBs 200Mhz FSB

Cameron203
09-10-02, 02:38 AM
hey but what do you think a safe overclock on this 700mhz athlon would be with good cooling. I have it at 800mhz right now @110

LT-73
09-10-02, 02:40 AM
That's not bad @ 800. Maybe you can try for 850.

That must be an old board cuz i can't find it on the asus website

Is that cpu unlocked?

Brk
09-10-02, 02:54 AM
Crazy-ass folks...

Cameron203
09-10-02, 02:56 AM
How do you unlock a slot a cpu?

LT-73
09-10-02, 03:02 AM
How do you unlock a slot a cpu?

Crapola! slot A ?? You got me there kiddo. I never had a slot A. If i was you, i'd get rid of it asap or use it for folding.

Sorry cameron, with evrything i know, i can't help ya. Also those slot A's are a b!tch to cool. they heat up really fast. if you're running @ 800Mhz, just leave it.

LT-73
09-10-02, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Recondite
Crazy-ass folks...

:rotfl: :nod: :D

Cameron203
09-10-02, 03:08 AM
Well I have it running at 800 out of the case i think when i put in the case i might have some issues

Your right they do get hot quick

LT-73
09-10-02, 03:11 AM
nahhh, just get some case fans. it'll be ok. Just sell it fast then let me or hybrid know and well help ya shop for a killer setup!

Cy's a great shopper too ;)

Cameron203
09-10-02, 03:16 AM
Hey when I take the cpu frequency to @110 it oc's to 800mhz, but when I go higher than that on the reboot it says in flashing letters a cpu overclock has happened

what the hell is that there for is asus trying to tell on me LOL

LT-73
09-10-02, 03:40 AM
The cpu is passed it's limits. remember, you'r trying to oc a locked cpu. There's no way of adjusting the voltage, fsb or multi's. Well you can, but the cpu won't take it.

When you overclock a locked cpu, you'll only go but so far b4 the mobo will tell you : "yo, wtf?" and the cpu will choke and crash or not boot at all.

An unlocked cpu is "open to suggestions" meaning you have more options to play with. And of course the mobo will say: "hey, now this is more like it" and the cpu will obviously take it all in stretch it's arms and legs and it'll do what you tell it to do until it reaches it's limits and says: Um.....dood i can't go pass this mark".

Got it now? lol

Also it's a good idea to get a mobo that will talk to the unlocked cpu meaning it has in the bios the features of adjusting the mutiplyers,fsb and voltages to both the cpu and ram; ie abit and epox boards.

Cameron203
09-10-02, 03:45 AM
Do you think it would help if i adjusted the voltage?

LT-73
09-10-02, 03:48 AM
It really won't do any good cuz it's locked. You'll only be gagging the cpu.

You can try but you'll only be wasting your time. AT 800Mhz, it's reached it's limit while locked.

Cameron203
09-10-02, 03:53 AM
So is there no way to unlock a slot a processor

Also what is the diff between the voltage and core voltage

Cameron203
09-10-02, 04:04 AM
Anyone heard of..............................................GOLDFINGER//

Shhhhhh!

LT-73
09-10-02, 04:05 AM
there's a way to unlock it i'm sure, but i dunno how cuz i never done it.

And the vcore is the voltage to the cpu. i just say voltage when we're talking about ocing.Except if i want to be more specific, then i'll say vcore for the cpu and vdimm is the voltage for the ram.

Psu's are measured in wattage. the most important parts of the psu is:

+5v rail which feeds the cpu
+12v rail which feeds the fans,cdroms
and i believe the +3v rail feeds the ram, not sure tho. I only worry about the 2 main ones
+12
+5

Cameron203
09-10-02, 04:07 AM
Yes but have you heard of................shhhh!............................GOLDFINGER..

LT-73
09-10-02, 04:13 AM
Yes but have you heard of................shhhh!............................GOLDFINGER.. :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cameron203
09-10-02, 04:16 AM
Hey you guys do me a favor and check out the bottom of this page and check out the avg. overclock for the intel p4 2.2 wow!@ is this B.S. or what?

http://www.sysopt.com/articles/athlonoc/index2.html

*hey LT what is this goldfinger they speak of suppose to unlock a slot a