PDA

View Full Version : Chipset cooling....

Vesuvius
09-08-02, 10:14 PM
I recently picked up an Asus A7V333 mobo. The chipset has a big ass heatsink just below the CPU. Has anyone found a nice little fan that fits this heatsink?

The only limitation is that it has to fit next to the Volcano 9 I am about to order :)

cy
09-08-02, 10:17 PM
Thermaltake blue orb :)

LT-73
09-08-02, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by cy
Thermaltake blue orb :)

Yeah but on some boards the pins don't line up and you gotta use thermal epoxy. Once it's on, it'll never come off. Since i used the crystal orb for my new gf4 card, i took the factory cooler off th card, and used that for my northbridge chipset cooler. I lapped it with 600 sandpaper, washed it so all the dust was off, nice and clean. I added some artic silver, 4 dots of crazy glue and bam, instant chipset cooler. Looks really nice in that electric blue color too ! Alot larger with a better fan. Cools my kt333 chipset great!

I mean i had it leftover from my new video card so i might as well use it right? :D

Gotta get some pics of my modded Marblelicious.

You can always get a small fan to fit on that heatsink if you don't want to go thru the major modding like i did , but i'm a modding nut ;) if it looks great and does a job, it goes into my case!

Brk
09-09-02, 12:01 AM
Yeah, a lot of the newer boards seem to have that spring-clip thing to mount the northbridge heatsink and no holes for aftermarket heatsink/fan combos. It leaves you with permanent bonding as the only real alternative.