PDA

View Full Version : Urgent cooling problem

RedGhost
09-08-02, 06:37 PM
Hey everyone.

I think i'm having cooling problems. Well I built from scratch my PC a few days ago, its using the new ASUS motherboard the A7V8X. This is coupled with an XP 2200. Now I have put the thermal paste onto the heatsink/fan combo and put it on the chip. I really didn't/don't know if there is anything wrong but there are a few problems that perhaps you people could help me out with.

The first problem is that just now the computer restarted itself. Sure PCs do that a lot but this may be to do with the cooling itself.

Secondly the cooler from this page here (http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=13779) . This firstly makes a HELL of a noise. I mean this thing is loud. I chose this because it says its for upto 3.4GHz!. It moves air at 37.6 CFM and has a rated speed of 6800 RPM.

I have run ASUS probe that came with the motherboard and its telling me that these are the current temps:

CPU: 63C/145F
Motherboard: 39C/102F

Is the chip really hot and in danger of being damaged?????

The motherboard keeps powering on the fan and changing the RPM as it sees fit (thankfully because its so loud) but i'm pretty sure thats damn hot.

I will also probably change cases as the power supply is literally right over (in front) of the chip which can't be good!

Well, if I do need another case/fan combo what fan should I go for, looking on UK sites like
Scan (http://www.scan.co.uk) , which should I choose fan wise? Baring in mind that I want a relativley cheap and silent sort of powerful fan

The last question is that if I do change fans/heatsink what do I do about the thermal paste thats on the processor, do I try to take it off or just put a small amount on with the new one

Thanks for your help hope I can sort this problem out.

If pics are needed of the inside of the case I can take them tomorrow

aagiants
09-08-02, 07:06 PM
thats hot. Ok when u buy a HSF, dont go for the one that blows the most air. U must take into effect Design of the HSF. Look at reviews to see which one to buy. And make sure u put the thermal paste on the right way. U just dont plop it on, it must be a thin layer that is evenly places

wareagle
09-08-02, 08:55 PM
Check and see if HSF is properly seated. There is a notch on one end of HSF. Make sure HSF is flat on processor.

cy
09-08-02, 09:27 PM
Or try to download the lastest version of Asus probe cuz i've heard that the old one gives wrong readings.

mvern2
09-08-02, 09:29 PM
The first problem is that just now the computer restarted itself. Sure PCs do that a lot but this may be to do with the cooling itself.
what os are your running? its probably because the cpu is at 63 C

Secondly the cooler from this page here . This firstly makes a HELL of a noise. I mean this thing is loud. I chose this because it says its for upto 3.4GHz!. It moves air at 37.6 CFM and has a rated speed of 6800 RPM
personally i'd get a better heatsink/fan combo...i'd say atleast a Volcano 7+ or better!!

CPU: 63C/145F
Motherboard: 39C/102F
ouch...better get those temps down (new heat sink and make sure that u have proper case cooling) i usually say that the max "safe" temp of an Athlon is 70 C...at or around 70 C is when i'd really start to worry!!!!!!

The last question is that if I do change fans/heatsink what do I do about the thermal paste thats on the processor, do I try to take it off or just put a small amount on with the new one
definitly u'll have to get ride of that old paste...i uses isopropanol alchohol (i think 90%).....use a few Q-tips and it gets it rite off....also u should use a quality thermal paste (arctic silver 3)....look on the arctic silver website for the proper intructions on applying the paste on the proccessor.

I will also probably change cases as the power supply is literally right over (in front) of the chip which can't be good!
i wouldn't bother, depending on your case. all psu's are located there on ever case (right over the heatsink).....the better psu's have 2 fans (one drawing in air and another one exausting air out)

if u could post some pics it would help a great deal...then we could see if u have proper case cooling and see what your case is like (that could also be the problem)