PDA

View Full Version : should i upgrade now ????

Mark
09-07-02, 06:34 PM
with all this talk of you guys running these madd overclocked P-4 systems you have got me wondering if i should wait for the newer AMD's or just cave into the P-4 maddness.

my system does every thing i want it to , plus who really knows what kind of system we will need to run doom-3.

so should i just sit tight for a few months and wait it out or what ??

i guess i would need a new MB, CPU, maybe some different RAM, or what do you think is the fastest CPU i can put in here - see sig.

:confused:

Immortal
09-07-02, 06:35 PM
wait for the new amd then get the p4

Mark
09-07-02, 06:37 PM
why should i wait for the new AMD, you think the prices of the p4's will drop after they are released ?

§I€MFKR™
09-07-02, 06:42 PM
Upgrading is really your decision, But if you do, I think P4 is the best choice. Yeah Yeah, The price, Well buy the time you buy a AMD and all the proper equipment to keep it cooled, you could have a nice P4 set up with a 533mhz FSB and OC the Sh*t out it. With stock cooling. JMO.:D But So True:nod:

Set
09-07-02, 06:44 PM
Id wait on dual chanle ddr ram and serail ATA

and when p4 hits 3ghz them 2ghz + will be cheep

LT-73
09-07-02, 06:46 PM
P4, P4 that's all i read is" yo, get a P4", wtf??!! I hate P4's and evryone that has one can go eat **** !!

whew, now i feel better :p

j/k ;)

§I€MFKR™
09-07-02, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by LT-73
P4, P4 that's all i read is" yo, get a P4", wtf??!! I hate P4's and evryone that has one can go eat **** !!

whew, now i feel better :p j/k ;) :D

Damn LT, Been sitting to close to that Volt Modded AMD or what?

Mark
09-07-02, 06:51 PM
Hybridmonolith- i already have plenty of fans running so that is not really an issue unless i keep what i have got and make a second box with it, already have 2 IBM drives that i got back from newegg from an rma so i could use those, who knows how long they will last though.

settrippen- any idea when that dual channel ddr is coming out ??

i am just kind of looking to see what i have to look forward to.

LT-73
09-07-02, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Hybridmonolith
:D

Damn LT, Been sitting to close to that Volt Modded AMD or what?

actually, it's on the floor.

Hey snake, i think the new AMD's are gonna be out this month so if you're really looking into the P4, wait until the new AMD's hit the market and you can do a clean sweep for a P4. You know once they come out, the P4's price is gonna drop like a body with cinder blocks in the Hudson river !

Just hang in there a lil bit longer, trust me ;)

cy
09-07-02, 07:06 PM
Or maybe the new AMD will own P4? so ya, wait for the new AMD, then see the reviews, OCing results and get which ever one is better. You can wait, can't u? :)

A_old
09-07-02, 07:09 PM
i think ur machine is plenty fast, save the cash and get somethin badass (hammer maybe?)

LT-73
09-07-02, 07:12 PM
or you can send it to me ! I'll spend it for ya ! ;)

Mark
09-07-02, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Amro
i think ur machine is plenty fast, save the cash and get somethin badass (hammer maybe?)

when is that supposed to come out ?

Broadsword
09-07-02, 09:30 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T go with AMD.

§I€MFKR™
09-07-02, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by OptKing

Somebody is asking for some advice, and this is what you come in and say? Come On, I've seen your posts in other threads and they aren't much different, Try to be civil. Any reply's to this will be ignored, because i've seen how you handle any type of criticism. So let me end this post with "You are a d i c k .:D :nod:

Mark
09-07-02, 09:51 PM

what is your reasoning behind that statement ?
i am not really brand loyal , just was looking at what is the best CPU at the moment, and in the near future.

Broadsword
09-07-02, 10:41 PM
Whatever Mr. ImtoopoortobuyRDRAM.

HawaiianGhost
09-08-02, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by the snake
when is that supposed to come out ?

Q4-02; then full marketing by Q1-03. Should be seeing the first of the few in a month or so. Check AMD site to see a road map, it's just an estimated time but they have somewhat been on time, give or take a few....

Mark
09-08-02, 05:00 AM
thanks everyone for the advice, guess i will just wait a while and see what happens :)

Mark
09-08-02, 05:02 AM
Whatever Mr. ImtoopoortobuyRDRAM.

oh and dude i don't know who you are refering that to but whatever.

maybe was it just a joke ?

YARDofSTUF
09-08-02, 05:12 AM
if u go P4 wait for the 3ghz cuz it will need a new mobo

if u go amd wait for the 2400

if u go with either wait for dual channel ddr ram

if u go with either wait for serial ata

if u go with either wait for nvidia's next video card

if u go with either both will require the same amount of effort to properly cool and OC well dispite Hybrid thinking teh amd cost of cooling is so high(prices for cooling are teh same for both chips)

IranianHobo
09-08-02, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

if u go with either wait for dual channel ddr ram

if u go with either wait for serial ata

YoS, how long until these two really get into full swing?

downhill
09-08-02, 01:05 PM
I'd have to agree with some of the above. You have a system that's similar to mine..just a bit faster. Why not wait till Serial ATA is out? Then make up your mind as to use AMD or Intel..

Thor Walez
09-08-02, 03:36 PM
For CPU I wait for the next genereation like 333 fsb and more cache on die! I think a XP2700+ would suit my 2nd box! And then my asus has its second cpu back :)==)

For GPU I think I made a good decision (spelling ok!?) a TI4200 oc´ed is enough for the next 4-6 months (e.g. Doom3...)

For RAM ... Hmmmm ... Dual Channel DDR sounds pretty interesting... for the KT333/DDR333 thing disappointed me! Same or sometimes lower performance as KT266A!

For Monitor: I can´t wait making LAN-Parties with this 18.1" AOC LCD Baby!!!!!! (Savings account still empty)

Thanks,
Thor

Broadsword
09-08-02, 03:49 PM
I doubt the Ti 4200 overclocked will be able to handle Doom 3, I bet even the ATi 9700 will lag out.

cy
09-08-02, 03:52 PM
I doubt the Ti 4200 overclocked will be able to handle Doom 3, I bet even the ATi 9700 will lag out.

LOL, so they expect everyone will have $360 to spend on a video card in order to play Doom 3? If they create a game that even the fastest GPU out here will get lag, why would they bother releasing it since no one will actually have a smooth game play... :p:p

Thor Walez
09-08-02, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cy
LOL, so they expect everyone will have $360 to spend on a video card in order to play Doom 3? If they create a game that even the fastest GPU out here will get lag, why would they bother releasing it since no one will actually have a smooth game play... :p:p

My ti4200 128MB was 160€/~U$D 3weeks ago :D :cool:

-Thor

YARDofSTUF
09-08-02, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by IranianHobo
YoS, how long until these two really get into full swing?

the ddr ram very soon, serial ata should take a big step forward after mobos start coming with the serial ata ports, dunno when it would be in full swing, need to see actually benchmarks or the retail mobos and drives to see if performance is where it should be.

i'd say before christmas.

Broadsword
09-08-02, 04:35 PM
I may be wrong about the ATi 9700, but the Ti 4200 will only be able to handle it at the lowest res. and lowest detail settings. Which would be no fun :(