PDA

View Full Version : Port Authority KVM

rickoic
09-05-02, 03:20 AM
Bought a Port Authority so that I could get away from having 3 keyboards, 3 mice, and 3 monitors on my computer desk. It has room for 4 computers but I'm only using 3.

Cables come with monitor connector at each end and a keyboard and a mouse connector at each end. One end goes to computer and the other to the box.

After connecting all computers you then connect 1 keyboard and 1 mouse to the box in front and your 1 monitor in the back of the box.

A 7 1/2 inch x 2 inch x 4 inch box sure saves a lot of desk space.

My problem is that I can't get the mouse portion to work. The first box I got the mouse worked for a couple of days and then stopped. Had a second box sent to me and am sending the 1st one back. But on the 2nd box the mouse portion didn't work at all. I've tried 4 different types of mice on it and none work. The 4 that I've tried are: 1) Wireless Microsoft 2) Wireless Logitech 3) Logitech trackball 4) Logitech general.

Anyone know a fix for the problem. It's still worth the problem of only have 1 monitor on my desktop with 3 mice, but it would be nice to only have to use 1 mouse.

Tks for looking

Rick

YeOldeStonecat
09-05-02, 06:56 AM
I've dealt with a lot of KVM's, and one thing that I notice is, not every KVM works with every motherboard, especially in the lower end, consumer class ones. Another is, do not skimp in the cables....spend the money on better quality cables. My favorite cables are from CablesToGo...big fat beefy ones that carry the signal well. Oh they're expensive, but since I've started using them, I've had less problems. I haven't used Port Authority brand before, or even see it.

http://www.cablestogo.com/

http://www.cablestogo.com/categories.asp?cat%5Fid=500

rickoic
09-05-02, 07:36 AM
YeOldeStonecat
I agree that the CablesToGo were expensive, I got 3 of the 6 foot cables for 16.99 each. Eight foot ones were 19.99 and 15 foot were 24.99 each. Not sure what brand of motherboard HP used, but the other two motherboards are Soyo but not same model. Not sure what quality you'd call the box, but 79.99 from Tigerdirect. Anyway I'm going to keep it even if I have to continue to use 3 mices.
Tks for the help.
Rick