PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please.

UnitedWeStand
09-04-02, 12:46 AM
I am currently building a P4 Machine, piece by piece, tell me if it all looks good so far.

Abit IT7 Max Mobo
Antec 480W PSU
Intel P4 2.0A CPU umm Socket 478 512cache
Gainward/Expert Card Ti4600 128MB DDR AGP 4X
Two 256MB Corsair PC2700 XMS Platinum-silver w/heatspreader
ThermoTake Volcano 7+ Cpu Heatsink w/fan
Two Thermotake Smart Case Fan II temperature controlled
Two HD Coolers for twin 40GB WD Caviar
2 30GB Quantums Raid
1 2GB Quantum Raid
1 20GB WD Caviar Raid
4 12" round ata 133 single device cables
2 24" Round Ata 100 dual IDE cables
1 12" Round single floppy cable
1 56X CDRom MTRP
1 PD 16X10X42X USB2.0 external burner
Generic or other Floppy drive grandfathered to this one.

I need a keyboard, a Monitor, and 4 port Firewire Hub maybe a DVD Player cuz I have one more 5.25 bay left.
hmmm. what else? and how am I doing?

§I€MFKR™
09-04-02, 01:19 AM
I like it.:D :nod: For a nice USB Keyboard the Logitech elite is very nice.:D

edit* I would save your self some money and get alot nice performance increase by buying 1 piece of 512mb Corsair XMS PC3200. It would be cheaper thean 2 pieces of 256mb and the performance is better for the fact, The ram will run fast coming off of one piece insteed of two, and it's PC 3200:D

... And you have another slot for one more piece down the road for 1gb:D :nod:

UnitedWeStand
09-04-02, 01:39 AM
I already bought the items listed..
Abit IT7 Max Mobo
Antec 480W PSU
Intel P4 2.0A CPU umm Socket 478 512cache
Gainward/Expert Card Ti4600 128MB DDR AGP 4X
Two 256MB Corsair PC2700 XMS Platinum-silver w/heatspreader
ThermoTake Volcano 7+ Cpu Heatsink w/fan
Two Thermotake Smart Case Fan II temperature controlled
Two HD Coolers for twin 40GB WD Caviar
2 30GB Quantums Raid
1 2GB Quantum Raid
1 20GB WD Caviar Raid
4 12" round ata 133 single device cables
2 24" Round Ata 100 dual IDE cables
1 12" Round single floppy cable
1 56X CDRom MTRP
1 PD 16X10X42X USB2.0 external burner
but I'm glad you approve.
I didn't realize how fast things go obsolete... I just bought a 1.1 a year ago.. now its 2.8 just like that. I like the upgrade because the board I have I can upgrade to many different processors.. with a 478 socket. and intel made lots.
Thanks Hybrid. You're a big help.

§I€MFKR™
09-04-02, 01:44 AM
I'm sure you'll love it.:nod:

onetrueday
09-04-02, 02:19 AM
the only thing I dont like is the memory there. I have a p4 1.8a and I find my 2400h corsair limiting my overclocking. I'm not blaming corsair, but I'd buy faster memory if you can. The fastest I can reach is 2.37 and I KNOW it's all due to my memory

UnitedWeStand
09-04-02, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by onetrueday
the only thing I dont like is the memory there. I have a p4 1.8a and I find my 2400h corsair limiting my overclocking. I'm not blaming corsair, but I'd buy faster memory if you can. The fastest I can reach is 2.37 and I KNOW it's all due to my memory The board I have will get me much higher bandwidth. Trust me.. the memory I bought will work quite well. I'll eventually end up buying a new PC altogether in about another year.
Thanks for the advice.. but I've got a completely different board than you. No legacy support, wow its gonna go together smooth..

§I€MFKR™
09-04-02, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by UnitedWeStand
The board I have will get me much higher bandwidth. Trust me.. the memory I bought will work quite well. I'll eventually end up buying a new PC altogether in about another year.
Thanks for the advice.. but I've got a completely different board than you. No legacy support, wow its gonna go together smooth..

:nod: :nod: :nod:

YeOldeStonecat
09-04-02, 07:58 AM
Curious what your hard drive setup will be. I run as far as I can from Quantum hard drives. The pair of 30 gigers make sense, but what will you be doing with the 20 giger, and the really old and slow 2 giger?

UnitedWeStand
09-04-02, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Curious what your hard drive setup will be. I run as far as I can from Quantum hard drives. The pair of 30 gigers make sense, but what will you be doing with the 20 giger, and the really old and slow 2 giger? I'm really glad you asked me what my setup will be, because I have quite a lot of space.. However, One thing to know here is I am 1/3 owner of a Pool & Spa Business so I keep lots of records, and have yet to switch everything over to my PC.. but lets cut to chase here
The 2-40GB HDs, are used for personal stuff e.g. Music, Movies, Videos, Pictures, Programs, Scripts (including yet to debug scripts), and ISOs.
the 1-30GB I use for backing up four computers via Firewire network backup utilities. 1-30 is for my OS's 98-2k-Woody. The 1-20GB will be used for Paging, temp files, IE cache, archived mail. And the slow 2 gig will eventually be upgraded to an 80GB and that will replace the use of 1 of the 30GB Drives, and I'll use the 30 for just Movies. But for now the 2Giger is where I store Passwords, Poetry, Medical Records, and Useful Guides. I have quite a lot of harddrive space, but I'm using 3 OSs, and I need extra space. Mind you I am 1/3 owner of a Pool & Spa Business, so I'll benifit from having extra drives on several channels.
I still have yet to build my mp3 jukebox out of an Old Server Tower w/Socket 7 Mobo w/ PII 233Mhz Cpu holding a 20Gb drive with nothing on it yet, till I get another CDrom for it.
I'll be busy the next few months preparing these computers, but I'll be able to relax and let it all run smoothly. Afterwords
My main rig I want fast.. and I'll try to keep it cool for a year or longer.
I might just purchase a Dual P4 Mobo or an Xeon Machine soon. Just for fun. Wanna help me get a good rig together or what?