PDA

View Full Version : how can i cut this?

TEH WIN
06-13-02, 01:10 AM
http://www.forumfiles.com/062002/case_0001.jpg

see those two fan intakes? look how much airflow is being blocked by the metal... SUX!! what can i use around the house that any normal garage would have? no power tools...

help!

LT-73
06-13-02, 07:04 AM
I used a pair of tin snippers to cut mine. You can try that or a dremel if you've got one.
The tin snippers i have are not the bulky iron ones, these are the ones that are spring loaded and have the yellow handle grips with a smaller set of blades.

TEH WIN
06-13-02, 08:35 AM
hmm... i think my friend has a pair of the bigger tin snips.. i know i could borrow those. but they wouldnt fit thru the hole

hmmmm

ideas anybody?

LT-73
06-13-02, 08:55 AM
The bigger ones will leave a real mess and they're harder to work with. Try and get yourself a pair at the hardware store. Always come in handy when u wanna do a job with a case and don't want all that noise of a dremel or jig saw. ;)

and besides, you gotta drill the holes a bit larger to get the snippers in there to cut. Start from the middle and work yourself around the edge. be sure to mark the circle with a marker and stay in the line. Then get yourself some car door molding at an auto parts store, the stuff that goes at the edge of the door. It comes in different colors and it's self adhesive. It'll clean up the look after you've made a mistake and cut alittle outside the line. It's alittle tuff to get on but trust me you'll luv the way it looks afterwards ! ;)

TEH WIN
06-13-02, 03:03 PM
i could care less how it looks. its covered up by the front of my case, lol. i just need air to go thru there

XSeaNX
06-13-02, 09:39 PM
dude....buy a dremel...you have a job...and dremels are only around 30-40 bucks....stop being a cheapass

TEH WIN
06-13-02, 10:03 PM
buy it once and never use it again? sounds like my dads garage tool kit ;)

Brent
06-13-02, 10:14 PM
with scissors!

downhill
06-13-02, 10:34 PM
Get a dremel tool...You'll use it the rest of your life...Good investment if you ask me. Look for a starter kit so to speak. You can find em on sale for under 50 bucks usually.

LT-73
06-13-02, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by downhill
Get a dremel tool...You'll use it the rest of your life...Good investment if you ask me. Look for a starter kit so to speak. You can find em on sale for under 50 bucks usually.

Ive seen em for 29.99 @ Home depot ;)

Immortal
06-13-02, 10:59 PM
dremel has thousands of uses.. I have one.. and many other power tools.. I'm one of those people that just buy things to put around..

or even a nice drill bit with a nice drill would work tooo..

poptom
06-14-02, 10:53 AM
The quickest and simplest thing to use is a hole saw. The pilot hole is already there. Second choice would be either a nibbler or a jigsaw. See if your dad has either. In fact, why not just ask him what he's got that will do the job.

Dremel is a form of entertainment. Not a tool.

tHE_0ne
06-14-02, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by poptom
The quickest and simplest thing to use is a hole saw. The pilot hole is already there. Second choice would be either a nibbler or a jigsaw. See if your dad has either. In fact, why not just ask him what he's got that will do the job.

Dremel is a form of entertainment. Not a tool.

Hole saw would be great, I bought a 9 holesaw set, each different sizes for about $12 at a flea market, it came with all the parts to mount it on a regular electric drill.

YARDofSTUF
06-16-02, 08:04 AM
jaws of life?

:D

LuiKhang
06-16-02, 10:44 AM
you could just use a wire cutter, case medal is usually soft. It shouldnt need a shop smith.

Ken
06-16-02, 11:26 AM
You have many options:
Aviation snips or the likes, as LT said
torch (don't recommend that you do this method! :eek: )
$2 cutting wheel for a normal drill
Dremel
Nibblers
wrap tape or a rag around a hack saw blade
drill holes all around the circumference
file (if you have a couple of months to spare! heheheh)
etch (Again several months!)
Ginsu knife! LMAO! (They say it will cut anything! :p )
Hole saw
jig saw
Sawz all
take to local machine shop, auto body shop, welding shop, etc..., they should do it for ~$10 is prob your best bet... ;) Be sure to remove everything possible first!

v0id
06-16-02, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by TEH WIN
see those two fan intakes? look how much airflow is being blocked by the metal... SUX!! what can i use around the house that any normal garage would have? no power tools...

help! http://www.reviewnation.com/a_fanholes_1.shtml - read and learn... improves airflow quite a bit, but make sure that u TOTALY clean out your case first.... last i checked metal shavings and mobos didnt mix....

TEH WIN
06-17-02, 05:01 PM
ok i just bought a nibbler. the tool will only fit in the middle hole. should i just go from the middle, nibbling my way to the outside, and cut the entire thing out or should i leave some metal intact?

poptom
06-17-02, 05:08 PM
Cut it all out. You can add a grille to keep fingers out if you like.

TEH WIN
06-17-02, 05:13 PM
Cut it all out. You can add a grille to keep fingers out if you like.

ok. it wont make the case weak or anything?

that entire area is covered up with the front of the case, so fingers wont be a problem

poptom
06-17-02, 05:22 PM
ok. it wont make the case weak or anything?

Naw. There'll be plenty of metal left. Just stick to the two circles.

TEH WIN
06-17-02, 05:35 PM

Naw. There'll be plenty of metal left. Just stick to the two circles.

cool. ill do that later

i just nibbled appart an old 1 meg ram stick :D

TEH WIN
06-17-02, 05:39 PM
poor aol cds.. lol

poptom
06-17-02, 05:45 PM
poor aol cds.. lol
Practice cutting curves while you're at it.

TEH WIN
06-17-02, 05:50 PM

Practice cutting curves while you're at it.

exactly what ive been donig

this is fun stuff. im actually pretty good...

TEH WIN
06-17-02, 06:18 PM
damnit... it already broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i havent even finnished the first hole and the thing wont pop back up!

damn radioshack stuff... now i gotta take it back

poptom
06-17-02, 06:47 PM
You've probably just got a chip stuck in it. Wiggle the handles and try to shake it out. Maybe poke at it with a knife tip or something. Don't give up.

TEH WIN
06-17-02, 06:59 PM
stuck a screw driver up in it and it poped up.. musta just been jammed. back to nibbling :D

TEH WIN
06-18-02, 05:34 PM
cool

http://www.forumfiles.com/062002/fan.jpg

poptom
06-18-02, 06:17 PM
Now that was easy. Wasn't it?

Philip
06-18-02, 08:37 PM
you can try that next time ;)

http://www.speedguide.net/~philip/lianli/pages/case_fangrills.htm

TEH WIN
06-18-02, 11:32 PM
but why do that when its covered up?

XSeaNX
06-19-02, 05:10 PM
but why do that when its covered up?

because it looks prof.......and dude...you really need to practice following your lines....HORRIBLE edges :D

carry on