PDA

View Full Version : Why cant i keep my comp freakin cool!!!?!?!

TEH WIN
06-11-02, 06:50 PM
right now MBM says its running 47 deg, and this is idling!

i have 2 case fans in the front (intake), along with 3 40mm antec fans at the bottom of my case in the 5.25 slot (intake) (i have a lot at the very bottom of my case in the front.) i have a PCI cooler card (exhaust), with one slot open below my agp. the cables are VERY neat and no cables running around anywhere except a rounded cable. i have two case fans in the back (exhaust). also i ahve a 2 fan 350 watt antec PSU. oddly enough my temps went up when i went from my 250 watt (1 fan) to my 350 watt 2 fan system, yes the 2 fans take air out.

i do have a stock HSF... but still.. it should keep it cooler than 47@idle

Immortal
06-11-02, 10:25 PM
so for the psu.. both fans blow air out of the computer?

just making sure..

TEH WIN
06-11-02, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Immortal
so for the psu.. both fans blow air out of the computer?

just making sure..

:nod: both are taking air away from the comptuer out the back

Mark
06-12-02, 05:23 AM
what was your room temp when you got 47 on the cpu ?

you may want to try lapping your heatsink, i did mine and drop a few degrees C

mvern2
06-12-02, 08:35 AM
what do you mean by "lapping your heatsink"?

TEH WIN
06-13-02, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by mvern2
what do you mean by "lapping your heatsink"?

Mark
06-13-02, 05:45 PM
lapping basicaly means making sure the heatsink is perfectly flat.
you take an old mirror or something else that is known to be flat and tape a piece of sand paper to it.
then put your heatsink on the paper and put a few drops of water or oil down, then start to sand down the mounting surface in a figure 8 pattern.

i started with 120 grit and then moved to 400, then finished it off with 600 or 800 grit , not sure which one.

what you are trying to do is get rid of any machining marks and such.

also did my chipset heatsink and it lowered those temps about 3 to 4 degrees C

the chipset heatsink was really concave before i lapped it.

i know someone else has got to have a link on how to do it the right way, i thought i had one but no.

LuiKhang
06-14-02, 12:28 PM
you got any grease between the heatsink and cpu?

TEH WIN
06-14-02, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by LuiKhang
you got any grease between the heatsink and cpu?

AS3 pro... 12 dollars for a little tub. applied just like the website said. i scraped off the wax pad that came with the stock HSF very well... not a trace left

ends up the 3 fan 5.25 slot thingy and the PCI cooler thing didnt do anything.. so i took those back and got my 20 dollars back.

still thinking of solutions to keep my comp cool.... maybe watercooling? :D :D

i think its time for a new HSF. whats a good one that is relativly quiet... keep in mind i sleep with the back of my computer about 3 feet away from my head, in fact... i can actually feel the fans exhaust when i lay down :D

tHE_0ne
06-14-02, 01:21 PM
Is your new PSU removing air from your HSF?

LuiKhang
06-14-02, 02:10 PM
Is it overclocked?

TEH WIN
06-14-02, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by tHE_0ne
Is your new PSU removing air from your HSF?

should be... but my temps actually went UP when i put the new PSU in. as i said before, the HSF is taking air away from the case

Is it overclocked?

nope

LuiKhang
06-14-02, 03:44 PM
You have a defected piece of hw, i recommend getting a rma or such

tHE_0ne
06-15-02, 07:32 PM
try switching over your PSU, it may help

TEH WIN
06-15-02, 07:38 PM
You have a defected piece of hw, i recommend getting a rma or such

which piece, and what makes you believe that?

m4a2t0t
06-15-02, 09:48 PM
make sure the PSU fans are operating

what was the previous PSU wattage compared to the new one,and who made it?

TEH WIN
06-15-02, 10:48 PM
old one was some generic 250 watt

this one is an ANTEC 350 watt. fans are working properly, exhausting both

m4a2t0t
06-16-02, 01:45 AM
whats ur Vcore at?

u might try flipping the fan around on ur HS or get a decent HSF

Ken
06-16-02, 11:04 AM
OK, here we go...
Your cpu is at 47c idling, correct? This is a result of not getting the heat off of it that it is producing...
Get a better hsf combo... ;)

With 2 at 80mm intakes, you should be OK. It depends on your case, room temp., what you have in the case, blah blah blah...
But, your problem, I would venture to say, would be solved with an Alpha 8045 or the likes... ;)

What temps do you get at full load?
What processor are you using?
Actually, 47c is within AMD's guidelines...
But I hear what you are saying as I like mine to run cooler as well... (mine runs ~38c fully loaded... :p )

Like the signs used to say on doors at stores before you were born, when AC was just coming around, "Come in, it's KOOL inside!" hehehheheheheheheh

flyerI
06-27-02, 08:11 AM
Several questions come to mind here.
What HSF do you have?
What CPU do you have?
What is the room temp?
What program are you using to monitor the temps and does it agree with the readings in the BIOS?
Does the temp improve if you open the case?

A properly installed, low cost, Coolermaster HSF will keep most cpus cool if there is proper ventilation thru the case and the room temps are not unusually high.

I have checked the bios temps and then rebooted and found as much as 5 degrees difference between what the bios said and what the monitor program said. Some have adjustments that you can set to make them match.

Last of all, it makes no difference how many fans you put in the front of the case if they cannot pull air in from behind the front case cover. Most case fronts do not have enough openings for the air to enter. I personally do not even install any front fans. I use a 80mm rear exhaust along with the psu fan. I make sure the front cover is open by moding the bottom of the bezel ( there is usually a small opening there), or by drilling a series of 1/4 inch holes in a floppy bay cover. Try removing a drive bay cover as a test or better yet pull the front cover off and see what happens. If the case sides have openings that is all the better. The moral is you can't exhaust any warm air if cool air can't find a way in to replace it. BTW my temps are below 40C wiith this setup on three rigs that are in my basement which is 77 to 80 degrees right now (summer).