PDA

View Full Version : USB Hubs

Ghosthunter
05-29-02, 08:12 PM
When they frist came out I remeber there were so many issues with them, back then I did not really need one.

Now I have about 5-6 devices I have to keep switching out, so I really need a USB Hub. Any pros? cons?

Also which one you recommend or it does not matter they all the same?

Thanks

Noevo
05-29-02, 10:06 PM
I have a Belkin (not one of the modular ones just a regular one). I think I paid ~$30 for it. Can run it either self powered, or powered by the PC (theres a switch on the side to change). I have never had any trouble with it. Have had my printer, mouse, and game pads hooked up to it.

Ghosthunter
05-29-02, 10:21 PM
What is a modular and what is the difference?

Thanks

Noevo
05-29-02, 10:29 PM
Belkin has(had?) a line of modular units that stack and can have serial, parallel, usb, and some other connection types. Kinda cool, but expensive and I have a hard time finding a use for one serial port as it is :D

no difference in the way they work, just the model line.

TEH WIN
05-30-02, 12:19 AM
i have some generic 10 dollar USB 4 port hub.. works great!

Immortal
05-30-02, 06:30 AM
any usb hub should have no troubles at all...

just go out and buy one...

YeOldeStonecat
05-30-02, 07:12 AM
Get a powered one....some devices work fine on unpowered ones, others don't work well, especially once you start adding more devices. Self powered USB hubs act more as repeaters, and don't lose signal stregnth trying to power the USB devices...simply less problems with them. Yet I've seen some devices not work with some hubs, yet work with others. Just a compatibility problem. Kinda like a crap shoot.

koldchillah
05-30-02, 11:26 AM
I would stay away from those belkin stackable modules. I've gone on 2 house calls that dealt with those hubs shorting in and out. Any other hub should work fine.

Ghosthunter
06-04-02, 07:31 AM
OK I picked one up yesterday a regular 4 port Belkin USB Hub, with power supply for $30 at best buy

If I use it with the power supply everytime I boot up my PC, I have to unplug the power supply from the unit and replug it back into the Belkin unit to get power. Any idea why?

If I dont use the power supply it boots up fine no problems.

Ghosthunter
06-04-02, 07:33 PM
bump somone must know?

Brent
06-04-02, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by davy19
bump somone must know?

logic dictates use the method that works

if the other method don't work then don't use it :p

Ghosthunter
06-04-02, 08:04 PM
That is kind of annoying, I wish I had known that or it said it in the install directions. They dont give you much with them.

Are there other brands that dont do this?

Ghosthunter
06-05-02, 08:00 PM
OK I think I figured out what is going on.

I have 3 devices plugged in.

For some odd reason when I have my infared device plugged upon bootup, the power will go on for a second then go out, once the PC boots up, if I reseat the ac adaptor plug everything is fine.

If I boot up without that device plugged in, no problems. I guess that infared is taking up too much power? I cannot figure out why the thing is really small and cannot believe it take that much power. Oh well.

Guess I only plug in the infared when I need it.