PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed

Brent
05-26-02, 12:19 PM
We haven't really had a HUGE leap in technology in a long time?

I mean when the IC was developed over vacuum tubes that was a HUGE technological breakthrough. It brought in a new erra of smaller personal computers that we see today.

When the x86 architecture was developed that was a huge breakthrough, the CISC process was very cool for it's time.

RISC was an increadible design but just didn't garner much use in the IBM PC Clone wars, CISC was the way people were going.

All those were great inventions (of course there are more) but those are profounding developments in computers.

What we have today though are just Extensions of those tecnologies, ya know?

Everything is just evolutionary and not revolutionary.

Faster FSB, Faster Memory Bus, Faster clocked chips, yadda yadda..... And the increments we are increasing is small, from 66 FSB to 100FSB to 133 FSB or DDR PC2100 to PC 2400 to PC 2700 to PC 3000 etc... ALL SMALL STEPS

WHEN is the next revolution coming?

The way I see it we need an invention like the IC circuit was

Optical Computers

Quantum Computers

Hell something even totally different, heh

It's like we are stagnating in OLD technology

I mean look at it, we've been on the x86 architecture for 30 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

It's time for something new, we need to stop re-hashing old tech and start really developing new ways to compute

lansens
05-26-02, 12:49 PM
Brent, I think that we see technology in stages now instead of all at once. That might be the reason nothing big has happened lately.

loop2kil
05-26-02, 01:05 PM
Yeah, allowing technology to make to big of a jump will not make 'them' as much money. I think the 'next level' of technology is always out there but will will only get it when 'they' feel its time.

YARDofSTUF
05-26-02, 01:27 PM
ya, look how long thin CRT is gonna take :(

Chris
05-26-02, 01:36 PM
What do you mean no major advancements??? (http://totallyabsurd.com/12gaugegolfclub.htm)
or
this, what more can I say??? (http://totallyabsurd.com/allterrainstroller.htm)

LuiKhang
05-26-02, 05:08 PM
The new breakthrough will be coming soon...
Light is affected both directional and speedwise when it passes through a substance...we have thousands of special chemicals that will slow light down to 90 mph! This is the next age of computers, light and fiber optics.