PDA

View Full Version : PC won't boot, did KVM switch kill it?

RoundEye
05-19-02, 10:30 PM
My Spiderman pc is dead.

When I turn it on only the fans come on.

I worked on a friends pc Saturday and after switching back and forth a bunch of times his is doing the same damn thing.

Only fans, no POST screen at all.

Did my KVM switch some how do it? My server is on it too and is not having any problems.

Now I have two PC's in my house that won't boot, to say I'm pissed about this is an understatement.

Onethenumber2
05-19-02, 10:33 PM
Start exchanging parts with a working system to see what is broke or not.

Chris
05-19-02, 10:37 PM
KVM shouldn't hurt it in any way, but switching back and forth may have spiked the video cards, Pop another vid card in and see what happens, The bigger vid cards might not like the switching off and on

RoundEye
05-19-02, 10:51 PM
On my friends pc, I tried a different processor, ram and PCI video card. That why I'm wondering if some type of spike is kicking the motherboards ass.

I have nothing to swap for my PC.

Chris
05-19-02, 11:08 PM
I remember the good old days when unplugging a mouse could toast a MB but they all are protected these days, did ya try a different monitor???

Pullin at straws now as you can tell

Faust
05-19-02, 11:13 PM
On my friends pc, I tried a different processor, ram and PCI video card

did any part of this work? is the KVM the only thing the two systems have in common (no apps or anything that may be spreading a virus. another shot in the dark, but i have seen it happen)?

bug
05-20-02, 03:38 AM
what brand/model KVM are you using?

does you PC work without the KVM?

HongKongPolice
05-20-02, 12:33 PM
reset CMOS, unplug EVERYTHING cept for CPU, 1 stick of ram, and video card, and monitor, don't even plugin keyboard or mouse, then see what happens

Chris
05-21-02, 05:23 PM
How ya makin out Roundeye???
Any luck on gettin Spidey or your friends comps up and runnin???

Jon
05-21-02, 05:58 PM
I doubt it was the KVM switch, I've used one for years and have never had a problem. First time for everything though.

Whatever the cause/solution let us know when you get it figured out. This might be a good thread to print and file in my book.

RoundEye
05-22-02, 07:07 AM
No luck at all, I tried what Tiger said, no luck pc still won't boot.

Here's the kicker, I plugged my wifes PC into the switch and POOF! :eek:
After switching back and forth a bunch of times, it won't boot.

Now I'm *****ing on myself here because my server is plugged into the other side of the KVM switch.

I'm going to try and get on the phone with Linksys sometime today.

I'll keep y'all informed

Three dead PC's in my house and one is my game machine that I worked so hard on. I'm about to squirt them in lighter fluid, light them on fire, and dance around laughing like a madman.

Chris
05-22-02, 08:27 PM
I'd be pulling plugs and killin the power to that puppy and gettin it the hell off that switch.
Its got to be feeding power through to the Mouse or keyboard.

bug
06-09-02, 05:37 AM
hey roundeye

did you ever find out what the problem was with your KVM?
get your 3 PC's back up and running?
what did you find?

RoundEye
06-09-02, 11:52 AM
bug, thanks for asking

On my friends pc,
If I took everything out of the case it would work. As soon as I put the mobo in the case, it wouldn't boot. So then I unscrewed and lifted up the mobo and it still wouldn't boot. I took the case completly apart at this point, and found the problem.

The reset switch was stuck in! It's one of those switches that makes a "click" when you push it, and it had some type of "goo" on it that kept it from coming all the way out. What made it hard to tell, is the button on the front bezel of the case is spring loaded and it felt like it had tension on it, but the switch behind it was stuck in.

Next time you turn on your pc, hold in the reset switch then hit the power button and you will see what I'm talking about. I showed a couple of the guys at work because they didn't think that the pc would come on at all if the reset switch was stuck in.

On my Spiderman pc,
partly my fault, partly IBM's fault.

The my fault part,
When I built the pc, I "glued" the heat spreaders on the ram with Artic Silver epoxy. I was careful to not put too much, but I did. Some of the epoxy squished out and got on two of the leads, on the IC chip, which shorted out the ram and burnt it out. This kept the pc from booting.

The IBM fault part.
After I got it to boot, I lost my raid. I though it was the raid card so I put the drives back on the on-board raid. It worked for a while (till this morning in fact). Well I lost the raid again, so I put on new IDE cables. I still can't get the pc to see one of the drives intermittently. I have two drives, I can plug the good drive into the raid card, the on-board raid or the regular IDE channles and the mobo will see it no problem. But the bad drive will work sometimes and then just disappear no matter where it's plugged it.
I just filled out an RMA request at IBM about twenty minutes ago.

All in all, it looks like it wasn't the KVM switch, just a string of bad luck and stupidity on my part. :D

lansens
06-09-02, 12:16 PM
At least you finally found what was going on. That would have driven me over the edge!:D

terrancelam
06-09-02, 01:30 PM
sorry to hear about your troubles my friend, I just recently had my IBM 60gxp drive die on me, sent it back for RMA service, but I won't get it back for another two weeks. I couldn't get it to work at all and it's still under the service term, I just hope I get a new drive out of this, piss the hell out of me to think how many hours I lost out from downloading and leaving the stuff on the drive thinking I was safe.

RoundEye
06-09-02, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
.........piss the hell out of me to think how many hours I lost out from downloading and leaving the stuff on the drive thinking I was safe........

Thanks.

That's why I backup everything to my server now. It's about a six gig backup and takes about 45 minutes to restore, but at least I don't lose anything. In my server I also have two sixty gig drives mirrored. After losing 14gigs of files, I didn't want that to ever happen again.

Now here's the good news, I cleaned the Artic Silver epoxy off of the ram real well, and it works now. :D