PDA

View Full Version : High... temps..

Benign
05-15-02, 04:33 PM
Ok, I just finished building my pc.. and the temps are.. high..

I got the AVC Sunflower, as reccomended by Qwijib0.. etc etc..

I run at 40 - 46c idle, can something be set wrong?..

Bleh :(

Benign
05-15-02, 05:15 PM
Great.. First lockup, was playing SoF2.. and it froze..

Sigh, can that be from the temps or somethin' else.. and one freeze does get me worried, because I played SoF2 countless times on my P3 550 without freezing up ever.. :(

Ken
05-15-02, 05:30 PM
Hey Benign,
How about some more info and links on what you have with that sunflower...

kieofwoo
05-15-02, 05:30 PM
can you post your specs please?

MikeyMan
05-15-02, 05:48 PM
I'd rather put the Sunflower on a video card than a CPU chip, heh.

Benign
05-15-02, 06:24 PM
Heh, My bad..

MSI 845 Ultra-AR(I have this odd feeling it might just be Ultra, the Ultra-AR is supposed to have a fan on the chipset, mine doesn't.. I know what I ordererd tho :/)

Radeon 7500 64mb DDR OEM

P4 1.6a Northwood Retail

350W Sparkle PSU

SBLive 5.1

2x 20GB 7,200RPM Maxtor D7-40x6L

Sony CD-RW

Aopen 48x CD

Bay Cooler

Hard Drive Cooler

AVC Sunflower

2x 256mb Kingston PC2700

I've locked up 6 more times since my first post.. :(

Benign
05-15-02, 06:35 PM
Also, in device manager under "Disk Drives" both of my harddrives are found, but in "My Computer" only C:\ is showing up, they're also both detected in BIOS..

There is also two "?!" in Device manager, one being onboard sound(Multimeda Audio Controller, I see no way to disable this in BIOS)
and PCI Device(What is this? :/ I have drivers for all my PCI cards installed..)

All of the lockups were in SOF2..

I also think I should do a burn-in, but donno the best one to do.. first I want to solve the lockups. They all happened after about 20 minutes of gameplay.

My day keeps getting better, and better..

EDIT: Disabled Onboard sound, but that "PCI Device" is still there, sigh.. :|

EDIT #2: Weeee, Lockup NOT in SoF2.

XSeaNX
05-15-02, 07:36 PM
PCI cards ? is usually from not having CORRECT drivers installed on one of your cards...either that or try reinstalling them from the win2k disc (or whatever you have) as for the multimedia audio controller I have that one too....never had a problem so I leave it...

Benign
05-15-02, 08:56 PM
Weee... ok, I don't lock up after 2 hours of sof2 straight..(I guess it was the video card, I had to set it from Quality Preset to Performance, sigh..)

I need to know a good burn-in test.

Also, what's a good, under 50$ HSF for P4 478 .. I need some heat reduction here...

106 - 116 F is a little bad if I don't say so myself, since I'm not OC'd at all.

aagiants
05-15-02, 09:06 PM
make sure u put the AS on right and the HSF on right...

Benign
05-17-02, 12:47 AM
As far as I can tell it's installed right, How would you be able to tell if it wasn't??

I get 40 - 42c with no overclock..

and I'm running in a cool room..

I get no difference between stock HSF and AVC Sunflower..

I'm considering getting an ALPHA :/

A_old
05-17-02, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Benign
As far as I can tell it's installed right, How would you be able to tell if it wasn't??

I get 40 - 42c with no overclock..

and I'm running in a cool room..

I get no difference between stock HSF and AVC Sunflower..

I'm considering getting an ALPHA :/

what's the memory voltage at on the kingmax? i have the same ram and it likes voltage..gobbles it..set it to 2.7v on the memory (if the option exists in bios)..

next make sure u have all of your windows updates and intel driver updates for the motherboard..meaning chipset and ata drivers..

also for the pci device problem..do you have onboard raid on that mobo? i don't have time to check msi's site..but if u do install the raid drivers as that's probably the raid controller..if it isn't..did you do a fresh install of windows or let it redetect things..the later is a BAD idea because in some instances crucial system devices are detected incorrectly/don't have the correct drivers installed which will cause the issues you're speaking of..

lastly, the sunflower is fine, don't worry about it..those temps aren't too terribly high anyway. you're fine..worry about system stability by reinstalling windows (if it isn't a fresh install for this mobo and checking your PSU 5v and 12v rail voltages..they shouldn't be lower than 4.95v and 11.95v respectively...if they are, system instability will come...as the voltages dip when you do cpu/system intensive tasks such as game....)

happy hunting,

Amro

Benign
05-17-02, 03:11 AM
Heh, Kingston.. not kingmax :(

I'll up the voltage in BIOS to 2.7 anyway, to see if it affects anything..

and, I forgot all about my onboard raid :rolleyes: - thanks.

Amro, you're a great help ;P

Those temps are at idle, it spikes up to 47 - 54c@full load.. :(

kieofwoo
05-17-02, 07:32 AM
Hiya Benign

if the cpu throttling is bothering you, then check this table of various cooling solutions for a 1.5GHz P4

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/051202/t.gif

Amro's right, I would concentrate in getting the system stable before anything else. Good luck!

Benign
05-17-02, 02:34 PM
^^^It is stable :)

It's been stable since I swapped video card, the Radeon 7500 was cracking out on me..

I also fixed all the problems, and installed the Onboard Raid.. All I need now is a good cooling solution. :)

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it.. especially Amro, and kieofwoo.

kieofwoo
05-17-02, 04:54 PM
Well done setting up the PC, I think you can pat yourself on the back :)

As far as cooling goes, I personally reckon you should always start with case temps (presuming you're going with air cooling, your hsf will be limited by your case temp).
You can get an idea of the ideal case temp by opening you comp and pointing a big ol'house fan at the insides.
Once that's done, then you'll need a hsf that brings you as close to the case temp as possible, ideally.
All pretty obvious stuff but that didn't stop me from doing it backwards! I couldn't resist the temptation of getting a shiney new hsf first :rolleyes: