PDA

View Full Version : Having some fun today building servers at the office.

YeOldeStonecat
05-14-02, 01:11 PM
Heh, a sweet Proliant ML370 Gen2, with 3x 36 gig hot swappable hard drives on a RAID 5 controller, 2.3 gigs of RAM, hot swappable case fans, dual hot swappable power supplies.

Woohoo!
http://209.150.0.191/miscfiles/server2.jpg

YeOldeStonecat
05-14-02, 01:45 PM
And a pair of DL580 XEON rack mounts also:

http://209.150.0.191/miscfiles/server1.jpg

m4a2t0t
05-14-02, 02:04 PM
wowsers

looks like fun:)

Ghosthunter
05-14-02, 02:30 PM
I will never go with Compaq again, or buy another server..their service really sucks, it took them 2 months to fix one server I had.

I also got 3 ML370 G2 DOA right out of the box, and compaq would not RMA it.

Dell is the only way to go for servers from here on in IMO. Did you know that if you put in Non-compaq memory like crucial, that it voids the warranty of the entire machine, while Dell says you can put in any memory, but they just wont cover the thid party memory if it goes bad. Compaq memory costs a tons of money too.

Now with the HP-Compaq merger, who knows what will happen with their product line, even though the sales rep tells you one thing.

kieofwoo
05-14-02, 02:33 PM
feisty!

Ghosthunter
05-14-02, 02:36 PM
Sorry I just got out of a meetings with some high level Account execs from Compaq, and they were horrendous, we were complaining to them how bad their service was, and we will nto purchase anymore servers, and you know after they heard all that they have the galls to try and sell us Compaq desktops, and Compaq outsourcing services like helpdesks. Compaq just dont get it..so yeah I am sort of frustrated.

YeOldeStonecat
05-14-02, 02:36 PM
I think we went through this before, where I'm the direct opposite. I came to work where I am hating Compaq....after having to support office's, I've been totally converted. We have direct VAR support, so any problems....overnited parts first thing in the morning. And quick direct phone support. Plus after building unbelievable amounts of servers from all the big boys (HP, IBM, Dell, Compaq, moomoo Gateway, Micron, etc)...I have to say that Compaq's go together the best. Great launching software with SmartStart. A big account of mine down the street is a Dell house because of their corporate global purchasing power, and I can't stand working on those when it comes to service time, or fighting with Dell support for weeks on end just to get some DAT drive warranty replaced. Takes them a trillion calls before they'll buckle and send out some replacement.

TinyTim
05-14-02, 03:52 PM
There is always Gateway............ :)-

Just Kidding

Daves World
05-14-02, 08:07 PM
Pro Compaq all the way !!!!...great machines that are easy to work on when you have to, and that's not too often. Great tech. support and fast shipping on replacement parts. Have lots of customers that swear by them and will never go back to the cheap no name machines.Servers seem to run forever for years with no problems. Would definitely recommend any business to go with Compaq. Yeah, the older Presario line is another story but for business machines you just can't beat them.

Brent
05-14-02, 08:12 PM
YeOldeStonecat, wehre do you work?

Ghosthunter
05-14-02, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by tdog9988
There is always Gateway............ :)-

Just Kidding

lol..it cant be worse than compaq support.

Actually I should correct myself, compaq was a great server provider, up until 12 months ago in my opinon. For some reason things have gone real downhill. If you have not tried calling for support in a while you will see what I mean. We have been using compaq for the past 6 years, and only in the past year had problems, which caused us to stop using compaq.

I even had one compaq technician, tell me they have been having tons of problems with the G2 line, and getting twice as many calls now. I told that to the compaq Account rep, and he was surprised to hear that.

YeOldeStonecat
05-15-02, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Brent
YeOldeStonecat, wehre do you work?

A little place called Groton Computer Group

Get to play with/take home a LOT of toys !

http://www.grotoncomputergroup.com/

Ghosthunter
05-15-02, 09:23 AM
Cool you are in CT...how far are you from NY?

YeOldeStonecat
05-15-02, 09:42 AM
Hmmm...roughly 2.5 hours...we're in the south east corner of Connecticut on the shoreline, by Rhode Island.....right near New London, next to Mystic, etc.

I rarely travel to the west side of the state...pretty much only halfway around the state....to New Haven area, up around Hartford once in a while.....as far as Bridgeport a few weeks ago.

Actually I do go to New York often....Fishers Island. Heh. It's an extension of Long Island...up close to the Connecticut shoreline, like 3 miles off...but technically it's New York!

Sid
05-15-02, 09:35 PM
when it comes to service time, or fighting with Dell support for weeks on end just to get some DAT drive warranty replaced. Takes them a trillion calls before they'll buckle and send out some replacement.

Don't blame the tech's, unless you get one of there newbie's. I used to work for that POS company. I did support servers from time to time. We would get calls from IT pro's such as yourself and knew from just talking to him or her for a few that they knew the $hit. We would send the order to dispatch and if we didn't dot our I's and cross our T"s they would kick it back. Meaning you get to call again. There were times that I knew first hand that a tape backup system failed and put an order in for it and it was kicked back. There are not any diag's in dell's system for this. The real frustrating problem for me was that I knew this admin needed to reinstall a previous backup and the drive was flat garbage. Its not the tech's fault! How do you think they became so well to do? There cheap ba$tards.

Ghosthunter
05-15-02, 10:47 PM
I still go with Dell, especially since the same exact equpiment, they saved us close to $60,000 over Compaq.

Compaq would not give us any discounts whatsoever, even though we were going to spend over $250,000 on just one order of servers.

YeOldeStonecat
05-16-02, 08:37 AM
That's really odd. Whenever we're quoting systems, often we'll price both, but what Compaq strongly does is competitive pricing against Dell. We buy from Compaq direct, if we tell them we're going up against Dell prices that the customer has, Compaq will slash their prices to beat Dell every time. "Competitive Quote".

Ah well, building a Dell server today also...but just a small one for a Small Business Server. Nothing fancy but a basic box.

RoundEye
05-16-02, 10:15 AM
Building servers and pc's is my favorite aspect of the computer field. I like to see it light up when you push the power button for the first time.

Ghosthunter
05-16-02, 11:08 AM
hmm dont know Yeoldestonecat, maybe compaq is so sick of hearing us complain about how about how bad their service is, that they rather lose us as a customer.

I really dont know, but half the things they have done prove, they dont want to keep us, so it was an easy choice for us to go to Dell.

Also maybe the compaq-hp merge has thrown things around, I dont know.

Personally, I think the merge was a bad thing all in all especailly on the Intel-PC and Server side, and actually will help Dell, because it is going to take at least 2 years before they start to see some profit out of the entire deal. Most companies like us, will now hesitate to go with Compaq, unsure of how it will effect.

When you spend millions of dollars, you want to make sure you feel confident in the company behind the equpiment. Look at AOL-Timewarner, they thought they would be doing great, how can they be unstoppable, well most people within the uppermgmt, are a bit pisst off and regret the entire merge.

It wil be interesting to see in the months and years to come if the merge was a good or a bad thiing. All I know is aprrox 30,000 people will be losing their jobs as a result of it, over the next 12 months.

YeOldeStonecat
05-16-02, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by davy19
It wil be interesting to see in the months and years to come if the merge was a good or a bad thiing. All I know is aprrox 30,000 people will be losing their jobs as a result of it, over the next 12 months.

I agree with ya there....as I hated trying to get support from HP. But the plan is, all the business class machines will be what Compaq makes, being workstations and servers. HP will go to focus on their printing and imaging. Basically each of the pair will focus on their strongpoints.

Lots of peeps laid off..yup....that's the way the industry goes anyways. One of our owners brothers has worked for Compaq for since they started....being hatched out of DEC. He ran their intranet, and various database programming. He was Joecartoon also! heh. Funny dude. But pissed at the from the layoff after so many years.