PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital or Seagate Barracuda

merkster
05-14-02, 09:54 AM
Well im trying to decide between the Western Digital 80gb with the 8mb buffer or the 80 gb seagate barracuda. What are your opinions?????
Cheers

Thor Walez
05-14-02, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by merkster
Well im trying to decide between the Western Digital 80gb with the 8mb buffer or the 80 gb seagate barracuda. What are your opinions?????
Cheers

More buffer = much better (sounds logical)

I have the SG Barracuda 60gig ... fast, but not fast as my raid0 :p :D

-Thor :2cool:

BaLa
05-14-02, 11:27 AM
Yes...no Contest.....

it's expensive but FAAAAST
WD

YeOldeStonecat
05-14-02, 11:59 AM
Much as I love the Seagate Barra's, the performance of the newer WD 8 gig cache models is simply stunning....far blowing away even the nearest competitor (fastest up til now was IBM Deskstar's).

WD historically has been known for great reliability, but were never known for being high performance. Also they tended to run a bit hotter than others, and not the quietest around. I've loved Seagate Barra's for a long time, they would be my first choice besides the WD SE models. Their new IV series is quite fast, incredibly quiet (quietest of all I've heard, and believe me, I get to hear them all), and from my experience, have proven very reliable.

Price of the WD SE has been dropping quite a bit, just this morning one of my co-workers ordered an 80 gig OEM WD SE for 135 US.

Thor Walez
05-14-02, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
...I've loved Seagate Barra's ... Their new IV series is quite fast, incredibly quiet (quietest of all I've heard, and believe me, I get to hear them all), and from my experience, have proven very reliable.

Yes it is because the "accustic management level" is default at 128 (quiet) also called "quiet seek mode" I edited it to normal level and as I saved it I felt like I heard my IV for the first time and from now on it is also a little faster...

There is a Tool made by IBM "IBMTOOL"
read it all here !!! (http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm#FeatureTool)

-Thor :2cool:

Ken
05-14-02, 11:42 PM
Just returned from the AMD Tech Tour. I talked with the Seagate rep, good things on the way!
In July, the 73 GB 15K Ultra 320 Cheetahs will begin shipping.
All 15K Cheetahs will be Ultra 320... :D
Is the X20 just a myth...? :p

But, in September, Serial ATA will be on the Barracudas. They will start producing only 7400 Cudas. They are phasing out the 5K's.
Supporting 8 on 1 channel!

If you want to learn more about the improvements Serial ATA will bring, check it out here:
http://www.serialata.org/

Faust
05-15-02, 06:00 AM
serial ATA? really! it's about frickin' time. i remember reading about that about 2 years ago or more. have been waiting patiently ever since. at the time, it was thought it would only be 2 devices per channel (as is today's), but 8 per channel? now we're talking.

YeOldeStonecat
05-15-02, 12:47 PM
Yah, can't wait for serial ATA. Looks sweet. Bye-bye all that master/slave crap of parallel ATA.

Grr...changing 3rd damn Maxtor crap drive this week...this time in someone's home built server. Man I hate Maxtors....if I had a dime for every one I've thrown out...Bill Gates..step aside!

mvern2
05-15-02, 03:32 PM
The best part about serial ATA is...NO MORE HUGE IDE CABLES. Serial ATA cables will promote better airflow, they take up less space inside your case. They look like the power cords in your pc! Can't wait!!

YARDofSTUF
05-15-02, 03:37 PM
is serial ata faster?

mvern2
05-15-02, 04:03 PM
Serial ATA is way faster!!! There are 3 generations of serial ATA which they say will take approximately 10 years (i doubt it will take that long) to reach the 3rd generation.

1st generation 150 mb/s

2nd generation 300 mb/s

3rd generation 600 mb/s

if u add more than one device to a "host controller" the devices share the bandwith just like connection a bunch of computers to a single internet connection.