PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screens Galore

Jeremy
05-13-02, 11:13 PM
With the system below, i took out the burner to put in a new Pentium 4 1.8 system. After i did, i kept getting blue screens of death on bootup, and when i tried to get into the bios, it said "checksum...invalid...loading defaults..." The i had to redetect all my drives (the burner had been listed, but was now gone). After, system.ini was corrupted. I replaced it with a February backup. It seemed OK (no major changes other than NIC). On bootup, the gradient at the bottom turned white, and i got a fatal exception ...28....c in VCACHE. Kept getting it over and over again. MS support says my ram is bad, so maybe i could've zapped it when i removed the burner?

jake8131
05-14-02, 09:15 AM
You probably need to upgrade to more ram. 40mb really isnt that much anymore.....especially with the P4.

p2ii
05-14-02, 03:06 PM
if you had the burner on an ide channel with anything else then you are going to have to reset the jumpers on the other device to be set as master/no slave.Or if it was on the main channel (0)of the ide by itself then anything on ide second channel (1) must be moved to ide channel (0).Sorry if that is confusing but I'm trying to get it down quick.

YeOldeStonecat
05-14-02, 04:10 PM
Before removing the device, uninstall first from Device Manager, uninstall any software related to it..shut down computer...then remove device.

Try rebooting into safe mode, and removing the device?

I doubt you hosed the RAM on the way out.

Try editing the vcache settings?

Jeremy
05-14-02, 05:18 PM
how could 40MB not be enough when it was enough a day ago theoretically? After all, it is a Pentium 133 MHz. My P4 has 256MB DDR, which is fine for now. The way it was, the 52x CD (still in the 133) was secondary master, and the burner was secondary slave. Now i use a single ide cable rather than dual, and the 52x is still master. It, the burner, is not in device manager anymore. I agree that the ram is not bad, since safe mode handles fine. Now i get blue screens in succession. The first one is vcache, the next is just numbers, and th enext says "vwin32 (05)". This is annoying. Also, why can't i boot "safe mode with netowrk support"? Because i coudl back up everything to the P4, then reformat it, since i can reinstall everything from archived cds. This is so irritating. Thank God i got a Pentium 4 on Saturday.

p2ii
05-14-02, 05:22 PM
try re-seating your nic card. also check and see if your 52x cd has a setting for master only.

Jeremy
05-14-02, 05:29 PM
ok, i'll do that in a bit, but also, a driver is trying to load from system.ini on bootup, but i can't find its entry in the file. Is it in the registry? Specifically, it is c:\progra~1\symantec\symnevnt.386 from Norton Utilities, which seemed to have screwed it up, since that was when it started.

jake8131
05-14-02, 05:50 PM
VCache has to do with your memory.....if you have only 40mb of ram and try to load a large program ex. WINXP you will get errors. Did you look at the system requirements for installing WINXP? It calls for a lot more than 40mb of ram.

Jeremy
05-14-02, 06:21 PM
AHHHH!!! I think i'm confusing everyone. I have TWO systems:
1) a Pentium 4 1.8 GHz running Windows XP home with NO problems

2) A Pentium 133 MHz system running Windows 98SE with BIG problems (quoted from manual: "24MB RAM (more memory improves performance)"

I booted up in Safe MOde with netowrk support, but i couldn't access the network. Why not? Then i could backup everything to the nice 40GB hd on the 1.8, and reformat the 133. If not, i could always back it up to the 520MB SCSI storage disk, though not everythign would fit.

jake8131
05-14-02, 06:35 PM
Go google.com and type VCache and read the articles. It may help your problem.

kieofwoo
05-14-02, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy
but also, a driver is trying to load from system.ini on bootup, but i can't find its entry in the file. Is it in the registry? Specifically, it is c:\progra~1\symantec\symnevnt.386 from Norton Utilities, which seemed to have screwed it up, since that was when it started.

have you uninstalled norton?

Originally posted by Jeremy
and when i tried to get into the bios, it said "checksum...invalid...loading defaults..." and when i tried to get into the bios, it said "checksum...invalid...loading defaults..."

is your bios still doing this?

Jeremy
05-14-02, 07:01 PM
well, the vcache stuff might be working. I removed the UDF reader and nero already, and it survived an extra 20 seconds in normal mode. THe bios seems fine now; i don't know why it did that. Now, can also get BSOD 4 times in a row, but after, explorer reloads and it's fine i think. Now i can back it up.

Jeremy
05-14-02, 07:03 PM
maybe not. when i move dhte mouse, the pc speaker when all screwy. WHen i reboot sometimes, it displays the shut down screen right when the desktop should apper. weird.

p2ii
05-16-02, 06:48 PM
hey jeremy whatever with bsod's?let us know:D

Jeremy
05-16-02, 07:07 PM
I am such an idiot. I need to review my DOS. My c:\windows\iosubsys folder is EMPTY!!! That could explain a LOT!!!