PDA

View Full Version : multiple boot (how to install win98 on a win2000 pro

gundamblade2
05-11-02, 04:24 PM
:D

Hi

I install windows 2000 pro on my computer (amd k6 II 500, 15g, 192ram) right now Im running under win 2000, I partition my hd in order to make space for the win 98.

My question is how do you install win98 on the second partition?

jedcstl
05-11-02, 06:54 PM
You need to install 98 first, then install 2000. Read how to do it here. http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/dualboot1.html

gundamblade2
05-11-02, 08:26 PM
Since I already installed win 2000, (I have programs and other stuff installed) Is any way that I can install the win 98 without formatting the entire hd? (thanks for the suggestion)

:D

mnosteele52
05-12-02, 08:35 AM
It might be possible with Partition Magic although if you have 2K I would stick with it only, it is much more stable than 98 and just about every app that works with 98 will work with 2K.:) :D

gundamblade2
05-12-02, 09:22 PM
I do have partition magic 7.0, which my friend help me to partition my hd, however he did not explain of how to install win98.

By the way, the only reason that I need win98 is because I have some games and program that is not compatible with the win2k

again thanks for the help and tip:cool:

twwabw
05-13-02, 04:59 AM
Use Boot Magic included with Partition Magic- this allows you to easily set up multiple boot options. But, the 1st partition needs to be Fat, or fat32 to allow it work.

Murman
05-13-02, 07:02 AM
here ... just replace windows ME with windows 98

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q293401

gundamblade2
05-14-02, 02:02 PM
I dont have windows me copy disk (too complicated), anyway What Im looking is there a way to install the win98 (on the second partition,) without deleting the win2k? I already partition the hd with partition magic, any suggestions?

thks

TinyTim
05-14-02, 04:07 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Boot Magic included with Partition Magic- this allows you to easily set up multiple boot options.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boot Magic should be all you need after you have partitioned the drive with partition magic. You just have it set up another MBR on the partition you want windows 98 on. Make sure it is in Fat or Fat 32 (as stated earlier) and not NTFS.

Or the alternative would be to back everything up, do a format, and install Windows 98 first and then Windows 2000 (make sure you F-Disk it to set the partitions before the format)

YeOldeStonecat
05-14-02, 04:44 PM
While it is possible to dual boot a consumer OS (Windows 9X) on top of an NT install, it's much easier to have your consumer OS installed first, then install NT.

But, if you don't mind paying for a 3rd party app, try System Commander. Should do the job for ya.

http://www.v-com.com/product/sc7_ind.html

Murman
05-14-02, 06:52 PM
Well it's a very simple process and you don't need any third pary boot loaders to get it done. You don't need a winME copy disk .. what ever that is. All you do is install windows 98 on the blank partition, you will need a 98 boot disk if you don't have one, grabb one @ http://www.bootdisk.com. Boot off the floppy with CDrom support pop in the 98 CD and install it on your blank drive. Now to get the built in NT bootloader to work follow the instructions in the link I already provided previously.

Originally posted by gundamblade2
I dont have windows me copy disk (too complicated), anyway What Im looking is there a way to install the win98 (on the second partition,) without deleting the win2k? I already partition the hd with partition magic, any suggestions?

thks

gundamblade2
05-15-02, 01:00 PM
Ok, here is the scenario:

I have win2k as the primary, I installed partition magic and created a secondary partition, (1st 7gig win2k, 2nd 4gig blank, both are fat32) I used a emergency disk for win98, (inserted the win98 cdrom)the program tells me that there is OS on the primary drive and is unable to proceed.

Again thanks for any suggestions

gundamblade2

Murman
05-16-02, 06:19 AM
Sounds like your win98 is a upgrade.

Are you running setup from the root of your cdrom or in E:\win98 ?(E for cdrom drive) shouldn't matter but try it from ther win98 folder on the cdrom.

Ok, here is the scenario:

I have win2k as the primary, I installed partition magic and created a secondary partition, (1st 7gig win2k, 2nd 4gig blank, both are fat32) I used a emergency disk for win98, (inserted the win98 cdrom)the program tells me that there is OS on the primary drive and is unable to proceed.

Again thanks for any suggestions

gundamblade2

gundamblade2
05-16-02, 08:51 PM
No, the win 98 disk is an old version, 4.0, I think, but U can't open the win98 on windows, :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :confused:

Sid
05-16-02, 11:32 PM
Using the partition magic software, hide the 2k partition and make the partition that you want to use for 98 active then try installing. You will need boot magic for a boot loader.

Murman
05-18-02, 08:03 AM
Well all this time you've wasted you should just start totally over, it will be a lot simpler for you.

FDISK your drive/'s (remove the current partitions) make two partitions with FDISK, format them and the load 98 and then 2000.

This way you don't need any third party boot loaders and you won't run into any other problems in the future.

If thats not a option for you then I don't know what else to tell ya .. all the info we've provided is all you need.

No, the win 98 disk is an old version, 4.0, I think, but U can't open the win98 on windows, :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :confused:

TEH WIN
05-20-02, 02:08 AM
windows 98 must be on the first, primary partition of the physical disk. meaning you must format your drive and install windows 98 first. then install windows 2000 after that on a logical drive

gundamblade2
05-20-02, 08:22 AM
Ok guys, I will try one more time ( boot magic) otherwise, I will back up my hd, and reformat the hard drive ( not forgetting to undo the partition)

Anyway, thanks for all the people who reply on my dilema( o nightmare ::confused)

gundamblade2:D

YeOldeStonecat
05-20-02, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by TEH WIN
windows 98 must be on the first, primary partition of the physical disk. meaning you must format your drive and install windows 98 first. then install windows 2000 after that on a logical drive

I've always installed Win9X to the D drive, leaving C for the NT OS which I install afterwards. Never a problem.

FDISK, make a primary active partition for C, and an extended partition for D. Format each. Then run Win9X setup, install to D:\Windows. Then when all done, install NT to C:\WinNT.