disk one - 1 primary, 2 logicals
disk two - 1 primary, 1 logical

it is setting them up like this:
c: disk1primary - windows 98
d: disk2primary - user files
e: disk1logical1 - windows 2000
f: disk1logical2 - windows xp
g: disk2logical1 - user files2

is there any way i can make the bios recognize and letter all the partitions on disk1 before it starts with disk2? i want it to be

c: disk1primary - windows 98
d: disk1logical1 - windows 2000
e: disk1logical2 - windows xp
f: disk2primary - user files1
g: disk2logical1 - user files2

you see what i mean? i tried changing it in windows 2000 and it totally screwed it all up.. and when i went back in win98 it didnt change htem there. i want the bios to change them all.. or number them differently... whatever you want to call it

is this possible?

if you dont understand... tell me

A_old
05-10-02, 10:16 PM
i've no idea if u can do that w/ out screwing things up. don't think u can tho (w/ out redo of everything)

TEH WIN
05-10-02, 10:38 PM
i dont mind reinstalling OS's.. hell i dont even have xp on there yet. im putting 2k on there right now.. for the second time today.

i just need to know how to make it so it letters by disk first not partition type

A_old
05-10-02, 10:49 PM
Here is my suggestion..make all of the partitions ahead of time...using fdisk..fat32 i suppose you'll have to live with.. then load the OS's.. btw u may wanna get system commander or some other nice boot manager for all of this.. THEN the last 2 remaining partitions will be ur user file partitions

Norm
05-10-02, 11:47 PM
I believe if you DON'T set the second drive's primary 'active' you may get what you're looking for. If it IS set active, Dos will assign it a letter before any extended partitions.

You will most likely have to start all over with Fdisk to achieve this now.

TEH WIN
05-11-02, 12:30 AM
blah.. i'll live