PDA

View Full Version : New Ati Xp .6071 certified drivers

Lazlow
05-10-02, 03:03 PM
http://www.ati.com

monkeyhead
05-10-02, 03:37 PM
installed em..... computer boots..... then after windows finishes loading..... i get black screens

Lazlow
05-10-02, 03:59 PM
every computer is different. whens the last time you formated :confused:

monkeyhead
05-10-02, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Lazlow
every computer is different. whens the last time you formated :confused:

lol do you know what your talking about??

anyway.... the 6071's had some issues, like it screwed up my dual display, and also wouldnt let me expand my desktop... went back to the 6043's they work fine.

Anyway, formatting almost always fixes problems, but you should never resort to it as the first way to conquer a problem.

Not everyone can afford formatting when problems occur. Afford being, they dont have space to back stuff up, or dont have the time to re install windows.

If you were hired to be a tech for a business and told them they needed to format their computers to fix their problems, you would be out of a job, fast.

If you want format everytime your computer crashes or something goes wrong, then go ahead. But its not always the best solution

A_old
05-10-02, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by michaelanthony

lol do you know what your talking about??

anyway.... the 6071's had some issues, like it screwed up my dual display, and also wouldnt let me expand my desktop... went back to the 6043's they work fine.

Anyway, formatting almost always fixes problems, but you should never resort to it as the first way to conquer a problem.

Not everyone can afford formatting when problems occur. Afford being, they dont have space to back stuff up, or dont have the time to re install windows.

If you were hired to be a tech for a business and told them they needed to format their computers to fix their problems, you would be out of a job, fast.

If you want format everytime your computer crashes or something goes wrong, then go ahead. But its not always the best solution

heh how about you try clearing the ati registry settings and then installing the drivers? i've been usin 6071s since they were in beta....no issues..not saying you didn't have them but they fixed tons in them compared to the 6043s..such as the theater mode (it WORKS heh).. to clear the settings u can do it manually or just use "RegCleaner" .. a freeware prog..and delete the ati keys after u uninstall their old drivers from there..then install the new..

do YOU know what you're talking about?

downhill
05-10-02, 07:18 PM
Amro....

What's the best way to uninstall and install new drivers?

I usually drop into safe mode to uninstall....reboot into safe mode again and instll the new ones.

Is there a better way?

A_old
05-10-02, 07:55 PM
Downhill:

this is borrowed from rage3d :) but modified some..

RegCleaner here (http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/programs/RegCleaner.exe)

1. Go into ADD/REMOVE progs, uninstall the ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.

2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once removed, it will prompt you to reboot....do so.

3. When returning to windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will come up and will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will prompt you for drivers. Hit CANCEL.

4. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all files and folders using the filename ati*.*
This search will normally give you 3 to 4 files found in your c:\windows directory and subdirectories (including the Windows\System directory). Select these files and erase them. Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty your bin.

5. Open RegCleaner and on the "Software" tab, check the ATI Technologies links.. there are usually 3...choose "Remove Selected" and reboot.

6. 9. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD will pop up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you have downloaded and extracted and run the SETUP file. Once complete, reboot and you are done. You may want to reinstall your ATI MMC software and DVD software if you use them. Now you're done.

There ya go, btw you have to redo all of your video settings after this (tv out etc) but it's worth it for a fresh install of the drivers.. problems will happen otherwise.. a similar approach should work for other manufacturers.

Amro

downhill
05-10-02, 09:16 PM
Thanks Amro...much appreciated.

By the way, if I remove the drivers in safe mode, I have to redo all my settings also. So far I've never had a problem but I'll file this post away to try latter this weekend. :)

A_old
05-10-02, 10:14 PM
anytime bud :)

monkeyhead
05-10-02, 10:38 PM
amro...... i just didnt have time to fix the problem with them..... it was probably some setting.... the point of my response..... was that formatting is not the answer

A_old
05-10-02, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by michaelanthony
amro...... i just didnt have time to fix the problem with them..... it was probably some setting.... the point of my response..... was that formatting is not the answer

i'll agree, please accept my apology michael.:)

downhill
05-10-02, 11:37 PM
Decided not to wait till tommorow......Ok I tried it in Safemode to see just how many files would be left behind. There were maybe 12 in my temp file and then those three Amro mentioned I'd find with the Reg Cleaner. Not sure what those are, but I'm up and running fine. :) I've never had any problems by uninstalling in SafeMode...

The above mentioned way seem to work like a champ also.