PDA

View Full Version : Engineering CPU Sample

aagiants
05-06-02, 08:11 PM
I might buy this 2nd hand off of sumone, Dont know how he got it.. but newayz... Whats the deal with these.. I know they are unlocked, but does this mean i can OC this thing like crazy? its a Tualatin 1.2ghz Celeron... I have a tually board

aagiants
05-06-02, 08:16 PM
thinking back.. the Tually have only been made to 1.3ghz.. so realisticly do you think I can get ne higher the 1.4 or 1.5 stock cooling?? i can get my current 1.2 @1.5 stable

YARDofSTUF
05-06-02, 08:35 PM
u can probably hit higher fsbs

aagiants
05-06-02, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
u can probably hit higher fsbs

ok, now to see if The guy will lower the high price :)

WHen u said that did u mean in combinatino with hight Multiplier??

aagiants
05-06-02, 08:44 PM
will upping the Multiplier from 12 to 13 make a lot of heat increase??

poptom
05-06-02, 11:30 PM
Don't you wonder why he's selling it?

LT-73
05-06-02, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by poptom
Don't you wonder why he's selling it?

Yeah, if i was you aagiants i'd make sure its in good working order and it's not fried plus if it's oc'ed make sure the system is running stable and see what type of cooling its got .

Have you actually seen it on a mobo up and runnin?
Something to consider

YARDofSTUF
05-07-02, 04:35 AM
ya make sure it runs first, alot of engineering cpus are unstable.

as far as my other coment i would say lower the fsb below what the default is, then up the fsb past the stock speed, this would be much faster than using a higher fsb.

like try 135x 10 or 140 x 9.5

HongKongPolice
05-07-02, 05:51 AM
Does it have 512K of L2 cache?

Depends on how much he wants for it cuz you can easily get a 1Ghz CeleronA and OC it to 1.5 or so with some good cooling. 1.5~1.6 is the max those cores can take so don't expect anymore, even with liquid nitrogen or ***** like that.... The only REAL advantage with an ES chip is that IF you can pump your FSB to 200Mhz or so, you'll be able to run at almost Athlon FSB speeds, with a lot less heat produced by the CPU. Other than that, its useless for games and other memory intensive stuff....

I doubt its worth it cuz ES chips are usually low yield anyways, so OCing should be crappier than retail ones.

odog
05-07-02, 09:32 AM
what kind of price...?

depending on the price you might be better off selling your current rig and then adding the amount of money you would have spent you probably could have gotten a 1.6a/mobo/ddr or xp1900/mobo/ddr..

aagiants
05-07-02, 09:16 PM
Well he said he works at TCWO and he got it from them. Its the Celeron Version so 256 cache. I have the 1.2 and can get only to 1.5 stable, need more voltage, but will not do pin tricks... The price is 90$, i can sell my current one for around 60-70$ so not much loss there, but Im not sure on the OC potential.

A_old
05-07-02, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by aagiants
Well he said he works at TCWO and he got it from them. Its the Celeron Version so 256 cache. I have the 1.2 and can get only to 1.5 stable, need more voltage, but will not do pin tricks... The price is 90$, i can sell my current one for around 60-70$ so not much loss there, but Im not sure on the OC potential.

i wouldn't

aagiants
05-07-02, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Amro

i wouldn't

buy it? or the the pin trick, im not sure i will buy it, unless he will ship 1st...

A_old
05-07-02, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by aagiants

buy it? or the the pin trick, im not sure i will buy it, unless he will ship 1st...

i wouldn't buy it..

odog
05-08-02, 10:52 AM
TCWO as a vendor probably would not get an engineering sample...

at $90 i wouldn't buy it...

HongKongPolice
05-08-02, 12:06 PM
try 2 find some reviews of the ES chip, see how it OCs

Currently you're only running at 125Mhz FSB right? that is pure BS.... I would do the pin trick and get the FSB higher or reconsider the ES chip more

aagiants
05-08-02, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
try 2 find some reviews of the ES chip, see how it OCs

Currently you're only running at 125Mhz FSB right? that is pure BS.... I would do the pin trick and get the FSB higher or reconsider the ES chip more

right now im at 117fsb, but i got it up to 131 stable, but i need to do the pin trick to get more, and im afraid too and dont have that special pencil... Im hoping a hacked bios will help.. I upped the voltage all the way too.. Heat might be a factor but i doubt it, it was loading at 42C...