PDA

View Full Version : What is a cmos checksum error?

RoundEye
05-06-02, 06:19 PM
I updated the bios on my KG7 and the computer booted a few times ok. I went into the bios to make some changes and it wouldn't boot after that.

I reset the bios and it would boot but I get a "cmos checksum error, loading defaults". Then I have to hit F1 to continue booting. It will boot ok, but then I'm at the wrong CPU settings and such.

If I change just one thing in the bios, all I get is a black screen and fans.

I tried going back to the old bios but I have the same problem.

Did I waste the bios chip somehow?

Faust
05-06-02, 06:30 PM
CMOS checksum error means there was a problem loading the BIOS for one reason or another.

normally i would think the CMOS battery was weak/dead (most likely) or the BIOS was corrupt (less likely but still possible).

the curveball factor to this is that a) it's a KG7, which is not old enough to scream "dead CMOS battery", and b) you also said you have reflashed the BIOS, which lessens the corrupt BIOS possibility.

there could also be a wierd random problem with the BIOS (like the Chernobyl Virus successfully attacking the BIOS), but that's kind out of left field. the CMOS EEPROM could be damaged, but i couldn't say for sure.

the first thing i would try is to pop in a new button battery into the mainboard.

The Dude
05-06-02, 06:51 PM
It does sound like your cmos battery is dead. You could try going into your bios and select "load failsafe defaults". Reboot and then go from there. I always got checksum error's when i flashed my K7T Pro 2-A from a floppy. After i went into the bios and entered all my custom settings it would be fine. I did my last flash from a ram disk with no problems, even kept all my custom settings. Since you said it booted ok a couple of times after you flashed i don't think you messed up the bios.

RoundEye
05-06-02, 11:59 PM
Well the battery is good, it checked 3 volts under load. I tried downloading an even older bios and reflashed it, no good same thing, black screen and fans only.

The Dude, if I change any thing it won't boot, I tried loading all the fail-safe defaults and it won't boot.

Thanks for the help, I just shot off an e-mail to Abit about buying a new bios chip.

YARDofSTUF
05-07-02, 05:51 AM
when i flashed a bootled kr7a bios to my board, on restarting i had to goto bios, select default settings, reboot, select failsafes, reboot, boot to windows and then reboot again before i could adjust the settings, i'd suggest tryign that but maybe skip the load failsafes part.

The Dude
05-07-02, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by RoundEye
Well the battery is good, it checked 3 volts under load. I tried downloading an even older bios and reflashed it, no good same thing, black screen and fans only.

The Dude, if I change any thing it won't boot, I tried loading all the fail-safe defaults and it won't boot.

Thanks for the help, I just shot off an e-mail to Abit about buying a new bios chip.

Thats to bad it wasn't the battery, it's the cheapest and easyest to fix. It's very remote but maybe you have a bios virus. I think the bios chips are expensive. A budy of mine had a bad flash and decided in the end to get a new mobo. I am sure you have checked your mobo version, but it wouldn't hurt to be sure you didn't make the mistake of flashing with the wrong bios. If the web site had a bad link you wouLd not get the file you wanted. It's happened to me. Anyway good luck.

YeOldeStonecat
05-07-02, 12:04 PM
Sometimes there's an option to stop on CPU errors...in other words, if you're changing/overclocking the CPU...turn that option off.

cyberskye
05-07-02, 12:55 PM
on restarting i had to goto bios, select default settings, reboot, select failsafes, reboot, boot to windows and then reboot again

You can get the same results hopping in cirlces on your left foot with your palm facing up. You need a candles, though. A virgin too. They're rare at this time of year (just after prom), so I might give YoS' suggestion a try first.

RoundEye
05-07-02, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
when i flashed a bootled kr7a bios to my board, on restarting i had to goto bios, select default settings, reboot, select failsafes, reboot, boot to windows and then reboot again before i could adjust the settings, i'd suggest tryign that but maybe skip the load failsafes part.

I'll be damned if that didn't work! :D

I had to press F1 and let it boot into Windows, then load the fail/safe let it boot into Windows then Load the optimized settings and boot into Windows.

Let's hope it boots twice :rotfl: