PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading My Gateay PC

pebby
05-05-02, 09:21 AM
I'm going to get a job soon and I'm going to upgrade my computer. I was thinking about buying one of those alienwares, the area-51 i think, for like 1400. I'm looking for the most bang for the dollar. I spend at most 600-700. I want to upgrade my processor to about 800+mhz, get a 60 or 80gig hard drive, and a new video card. Will an AMD motherboard fit in my comp? Can i take the 500 chip out of my pentium 3 and put it like a 700 or 800? thanx.

YARDofSTUF
05-05-02, 09:30 AM
because its a prebuilt system and gateway is one of a few comps that want u to upgrade only through them u cant just put what u want in it, i would recomend going through gateway if u wanna build it up.

MikeyMan
05-05-02, 12:10 PM
Sure it will. My old G6 uber tower fits my AMD stuff. Of course it met Captain Jigsaw to get the power supply to fit in it. :-)

YARDofSTUF
05-05-02, 05:30 PM
i was under the impression that gateway used different mounting holes?

MikeyMan
05-05-02, 07:40 PM
Nope. Ghettoway did cover up some slots though with thin cardbord. It's a standard ATX case. I remember when Gateway used quality parts... I miss the mid 90s :rolleyes:

aagiants
05-05-02, 08:08 PM
you can not put a AMD into ur current MOBO since it has a P3 in it now... You can either Put in a Celeron or a Pentium 3. But They must be the NON-TUALATIN version of these

HongKongPolice
05-05-02, 08:16 PM
If you want the best bang for the buck, BUILD IT YOURSELF, that Alienware BS is a rip off, so is anything else that is built by a big company.....

Onethenumber2
05-05-02, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by MikeyMan
Nope. Ghettoway did cover up some slots though with thin cardbord. It's a standard ATX case. I remember when Gateway used quality parts... I miss the mid 90s :rolleyes:

i had/have a gateway from 1996 good quality everything still works fine except the CD ROM but i am cursed with those everyone i have owned has failed. Those were good comps back in the day. Learned everything i know on that one. had it till just a year and a half ago. then got 2 new comps.

powerleap.com (www.powerleap.com)
this place has some cpu adapotors that can let you put AMD in Pentium slots and things like that. Little overpriced if you ask me though. if you want to upgrade that new gateway this might be good. They have compadibility checker lists and stuff on the site. The adaptor is like 50 and a 800 meg proccesor is like 30 bucks but you can get alot more for jsut a few more $$