PDA

View Full Version : Vid Card ? - GeForce3 200Ti

Jamie_R
05-05-02, 08:29 AM
When you update a driver for a video card, does the driver re-write the cards BIOS?

terrancelam
05-05-02, 08:34 AM
it just deals with the drivers in the OS. For the video card bios updates, you'd have to get a program and the new bios to update it.

Jamie_R
05-05-02, 08:43 AM
Thanks Terrance -
Just wondering because I loaded Linux on my 3rd hard drive, did the update - which included a driver for my vid card, and after the update, Linux wouldn't boot. So I went to my 2K hard drive (#2),
and it wouldn't boot - gave me the BSOD w/ error - nvmini in the system32 folder. Thought maybe the Linux update screwed the BIOS on the card - cause I'm not dual booting - they are on seperate drives in the same rig.
Anyway - uninstalled the drivers on 2K (in safe mode) and installed the 29.20s (what better time to update :) ), and now everything is cool on the 2K drive. Now all I've gotta do is get Linux back up :eek:

jedcstl
05-05-02, 01:56 PM
hey Claude_Ballz, Which drivers did you use for linux? I installed the 28.80's from Nvidia and it crashed my X-windows. I tried to uninstall the RPM with -e and it would say it wasn't installed then I would try to install -uvh and it would say that it was already installed.

Jamie_R
05-05-02, 03:34 PM
I was just doing the internet auto-update from SuSe Linux - I'm not sure what version they were. I just saw that there was an update for Nvidia. Now on my 2K drive I had the 28.80s to start with. It just seems too much of a coincidence that they woould crap out at the same time I updated Linux. I've been running the 28.20s on XP for a while now w/ no probs (knock on wood), but I plan on updating them to 29.20 too.

HongKongPolice
05-05-02, 08:15 PM
There are probably SOME settings that the drivers can mess around with on the video card. For instance I've got a dual booting Win98/2K setup, I use Win2K 99% of the time, but if 2K gets screwed, I go back to 98 for reinstallation of 2K.

I keep my 2K Radeon drives up to date, but left my 98 drives alone. 1 time I had to reboot back to 98 to play an old game, and after I booted back to 2K, my TV-out was totally screwed, but worked fine in 98, so I had to update to the newest 98 drivers and that fixed the problem.

This will be a bigger problem for you cuz Linux drivers are far behind Win drivers, so each driver will keep on trying to write their settings into the video card, conflicting each other... Might wanna ask for help from a linux forum

LT-73
05-06-02, 11:43 AM
Hey guyz,
I'm runnin the 28.83's so i'm wonderin' if the 28.90's are any good?
No problems with 28.83's

Mark
05-06-02, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by LT-73
Hey guyz,
I'm runnin the 28.83's so i'm wonderin' if the 28.90's are any good?
No problems with 28.83's

i'm running the 28.80's right now and it is very stable for me, i thought about doing the 28.90's but think i may wait to see what problems there may be

Jamie_R
05-11-02, 05:59 AM
been running the 29.20s in XP and 2K for about a week now - no probs (knock on wood)