PDA

View Full Version : R2d2

resedit
05-04-02, 12:42 AM
I'd like to build a case from the ground up.
Not just any case, though- I want to build R2D2

Not just any R2D2- an R2D2 that actually rolls around :)

It will probably run headless, though broadcasting the signal isn't out of the question- though I imagine that would be extremely expensive to set up.

Assuming headless, it will be w/o kbd and mouse.

Wireless networking.

My guess is it will run Folding@Home on one cpu, Genome@Home on the other- as its probably not gonna have a display.

I'll need some kind of battery pack to provide power- hopefully 24 hours worth if it doesn't move around.

As far as the movement goes- remote control is probably the easiest, and probably not controlled by the cpu.

But to control it through the cpu (serial cable to motors) would be wicked- I assume there is some robotics software for Linux that could be used for that.

-=-
Big project, I know.
But I *want* to do it.

When i was 10 mom got me a remote control R2D2 for my birthday.

My brother took it apart within a week to "see how it worked" and he never got it back together again.

Anyone here know of any links to robotics sites that are good, especially with Linux controllers?

Anyone have any suggestions on types of material etc. to use for the case construction?

Finally- anyone know of rechargable battery packs for ATX logic boards?

I know ATX power supplies convert AC to DC so the biggest problem will be having power where the voltage stays within the proper range instead of lowering as the batteries drain.

But a power pack with an ATX connector would be even better than having to create one from a normal rechargable batter pack :D

Thanks for any suggestions!

RoundEye
05-04-02, 11:16 AM
resedit
I used to be into robots a lot myself when I was younger. I think what you want to do is a killer idea. I don't know of any sites off hand, but if you keep us informed of the progress, I'd be willing to help you research it out some.

I'm really curious how it would all go together myself.

I wonder how these guys make everything run myself.

http://www.robotwarsextreme.com/

Onethenumber2
05-04-02, 10:14 PM
be sure to post lots of picks of the work in progress if you decide to make it. I am really interested in how you will do it.

A_old
05-04-02, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by resedit
I'd like to build a case from the ground up.
Not just any case, though- I want to build R2D2

Not just any R2D2- an R2D2 that actually rolls around :)

It will probably run headless, though broadcasting the signal isn't out of the question- though I imagine that would be extremely expensive to set up.

Assuming headless, it will be w/o kbd and mouse.

Wireless networking.

My guess is it will run Folding@Home on one cpu, Genome@Home on the other- as its probably not gonna have a display.

I'll need some kind of battery pack to provide power- hopefully 24 hours worth if it doesn't move around.

As far as the movement goes- remote control is probably the easiest, and probably not controlled by the cpu.

But to control it through the cpu (serial cable to motors) would be wicked- I assume there is some robotics software for Linux that could be used for that.

-=-
Big project, I know.
But I *want* to do it.

When i was 10 mom got me a remote control R2D2 for my birthday.

My brother took it apart within a week to "see how it worked" and he never got it back together again.

Anyone here know of any links to robotics sites that are good, especially with Linux controllers?

Anyone have any suggestions on types of material etc. to use for the case construction?

Finally- anyone know of rechargable battery packs for ATX logic boards?

I know ATX power supplies convert AC to DC so the biggest problem will be having power where the voltage stays within the proper range instead of lowering as the batteries drain.

But a power pack with an ATX connector would be even better than having to create one from a normal rechargable batter pack :D

Thanks for any suggestions!

don't know how "safe" it is, but a while back some guy used two car batteries strung together to rebuilt his apc ups (batteries had died..) and he said he ran his puter for like 3-4 hours off em..and still had 80% charge.. so u may want to look into making a batt. back for that..i bet it's plenty of power to run a few servos and a couple of larger motors for the unit to roll around on.. only issue is weight, and convering it to lower amperage.. u'd need to figure a way to do all of that

resedit
05-06-02, 05:07 AM
I think I'm gonna build a non moving one with regular power supply first.
That'll let me dabble and figure out if I'm really committed to doing a moving one.

I'll have to carefully think out the airflow- and make sure the material I use doesn't constrict 802.11b wireless.