PDA

View Full Version : Velocity 4400.....directx problem????

sammystingray
05-03-02, 02:43 PM
Hey guys, I have a 750 mhz AMD athlon, velocity 4400 video card, directx 7.1, and I am having trouble upgrading to 8.0 or 8.1 directx. The install program basically freezes up every freakin' time!!!:mad: I first tried 8.1 and it didn't work, and later found some reading that said it is for newer pentium type systems or something. I run windows ME btw. The 8.1 install froze, and I wonder if my closing the install with the program manager after half installed may have changed the registry, or screwed something up for the 8.0 install later. The cpu was running 99%-100% the whole install, and the pointer showed the puter working, but I waited for hours!!!!!!! The bar simply quit moving. Maybe it wasn't froze up, but 4 hours seemed WAY too long, so I quit setup. I closed every other running program I could to give set up as much cpu as possible, but it still doesn't work after about 8 tries now with 8.0 directx for 95/98/ME. Any thoughts???? Am I missing some requirement??? The monitor is NEC 21" and supports 1280/1024 true color. Maybe not the best, but it was only two bills at the computer show.:D Thanks for any thoughts on my directx troubles......sucks, many games require 8.0 or better.:(

Brent
05-03-02, 02:45 PM
tried installing dx 8.1 in safe mode?

YeOldeStonecat
05-03-02, 06:12 PM
You may be at the point where it's easier to reformat, install Windoze from scratch...quickly install the latest downloaded drivers for everything, then run all your Windows updates like DX8.1.

If you're not up to reformatting....the history of the computer and now it's drivers were treated over time can really impact DX upgrades. How cleanly you uninstalled old video and sound cards, etc. Try rebooting into safe mode and removing all old devices?

Try installing the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard (Via 4 in 1, or Intell Chipset Installation Utility)

And latest drivers for your video card and your sound card?

Windows updates?

Updated anti-virus with latest definitions and full scan?