PDA

View Full Version : random restarts

Joebeme2
05-03-02, 01:05 PM
Hi,

I am currently experiencing problems with my computer. It will randomly flash a blue screen very quickly and restart at any given time. I am running windows xp on the following system:

Abit kt7a 300W PS
512 ram pc133
Ati Radeon 8500
Sb live value
30gb quantem fireball
80gb western digital
Linksys NIC

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe

LT-73
05-03-02, 01:11 PM
Hey Joe,
this just starting happening or was this doing it on a regular basis?

Joebeme2
05-03-02, 01:27 PM
It just started recently... like within 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Joe

EthanHunt16
05-03-02, 02:11 PM
could be your system trying to get too much power from your 300w power supply and it reboots

also on win xp theres a option that the computer will reboot on any error, i forget were to go to switch this off, but your comp may be getting any number of small errors and win xp decides to reboot

LT-73
05-03-02, 07:36 PM
Check your bios settings and make sure evrything's on default
and did u just install xp or was it an upgrade?

monkeyhead
05-03-02, 08:43 PM
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=30

go here, do what it says.

this will stop the computer from restarting when you get a blue screen.

Then the next time you get a blue screen, you will be able to read what it says, it will most likely tell you what piece of hardware or possibly software is giving you the problem

good luck.

MAmuT
05-03-02, 09:08 PM
could be your system trying to get too much power from your 300w power supply and it reboots

agree. i while ago i changed my processors and i didnt setup the voltages correctly so i was getting random boots and blue screens

so check your voltages on the BIOS for your processors that is where the problem may be

SLK
05-03-02, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Joebeme2
Hi,

I am currently experiencing problems with my computer. It will randomly flash a blue screen very quickly and restart at any given time. I am running windows xp on the following system:

Abit kt7a 300W PS
512 ram pc133
Ati Radeon 8500
Sb live value
30gb quantem fireball
80gb western digital
Linksys NIC

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Thats normal-lol

Id say there was a corrupted system file in ur OS, format and reinstall should do the trick:)

monkeyhead
05-03-02, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by SlicKsTufF2355

Thats normal-lol

Id say there was a corrupted system file in ur OS, format and reinstall should do the trick:)

format and reinstall would probably fix the problem. But you cant always do that, it can solve your problems, if you have a place to back your stuff up, if you know what your doing.

But you also must consider, if you dont know where the problem came from, that it could very possibly come back up again. where the approach to fixing the problem, without formatting, is what you need to do.

and suggesting that the power supply is the problem, is highly unlikely to be the problem.

Windows XP's new design prevents blue screens from keeping the system at a halt, thats why its rebooting.

Most likely it is a piece of hardware like the sound or video card. Thats why i suggested the tweak XP site...... so that the computer doesnt reboot, then he can see what driver is causing the malfunction.

Anyway if it was the power supply, it would be because the power supply wasnt giving enough power. but a 300 should be enough in his situation. There would also be a reboot without the blue screen.

Joebeme2
05-08-02, 04:15 PM
Well, I did that thing with the registry and it seemed to work for awhile. Now my computer randomly restarts and there is no blue screen. It's like someone is pushing my reset button. I have 4 fans and a pci slot fan as well as all the specs in my first post under this topic. Is it possible that it could be the power supply? If so, is it possible to buy a new p.s. and just replace my current one? Thanks.

Joe

MAmuT
05-08-02, 04:37 PM
oh also check the temps of the CPUs. Last week my cooler master CPU fan which is no more than 3 months stoped working and i didnt know , i could see that the temps on my CPU2 was 10 to 12 degrees hotter than CPU1.

And that conduced the PC to restart by itselft ad it was caused by the HIGH TEMPS so check that 2

you said that you have 4 fans ( i am assuming they are on the case ) that woulndt be enough for the CPU CHECK if it spinning

Joebeme2
05-09-02, 05:48 PM
If it is the power suppy, does anyone know is it possible to buy a new power supply and just replace my current one?

m4a2t0t
05-09-02, 06:42 PM
who makes the PSU?
is ur puter OC'ed?
what CPU u got?

Joebeme2
05-09-02, 08:10 PM
I believe its a Deer 300W UL / CSA ATX Power Supply. I have an amd athlon 1.4 ghz cpu. My temps are usually around 47C. http://www.markonecomputers.com/cases_supercase_htfh100f3.asp?OrderID=72273238210236757993698 - thats my case.

Joe

A_old
05-09-02, 08:17 PM
deer *shudders*... try updating your via 4in1s too altho i do think it's the psu

www.viaarena.com

Joebeme2
05-09-02, 08:39 PM
Can i just buy a new power supply then with more watts to replace my current one? Thanks.

Joe

Juggernaut
05-09-02, 09:19 PM
Yes it is possible to buy another power supply and switch it with the one you have, but you may not have to do that. Like they mentioned, make sure your BIOS is set correctly.

I had a VERY similar problem that I just fixed myself. I was using Kerio Personal Firewall v.2.1.4 and it was that that was causing my problems...are you perhaps using that as well? I've heard of people using Kerio and not having a single problem, but not me

Make sure all your drivers are up to date as well....VIA, video card, sound card, NIC, etc.

Juggernaut
05-09-02, 09:25 PM
Also, you may want to check out This thread (http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76475). There was a lot of good suggestions in there to my problem that was very similar to yours. One of them may fix it for you.

m4a2t0t
05-10-02, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Joebeme2
I believe its a Deer 300W UL / CSA ATX Power Supply. I have an amd athlon 1.4 ghz cpu. My temps are usually around 47C. http://www.markonecomputers.com/cases_supercase_htfh100f3.asp?OrderID=72273238210236757993698 - thats my case.

Joe

ur cuttin it close with a 300W with everything u got

what are the PSU voltages?

Joebeme2
05-10-02, 08:52 AM
Hello,

I am not running that firewall and I do believe that I am running all the updated drivers. I am at work right now, so i will check it when i get home. Should i try taking out some of those fans out to see if the problem persists? Thanks,

Joe

Joebeme2
05-11-02, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure where to find my PSU voltages, but i found this:

Vcore - 1.77
3.3V - 3.42V
5V - 4.88V
12V - 11.64V

Joebeme2
05-11-02, 01:05 PM
Now there is a new twist added to this problem. I just turned my computer off to put in my new wireless keyboard and mouse. When i plugged it in and turned it on i heard the case fans come on and that was it. The cd-rom light flashed for a second but that was it. I had this kind of a problem before, all i would have to do is shut the power supply switch off and switch it back on and it would work. I tried that now and it will not come on, I also tried unplugging some stuff and it still wouldn't come on. I'm on another computer now. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Joe

m4a2t0t
05-11-02, 02:14 PM
i have the similar probs with mine

first try starting it up and when its booting up press restart,if that doesnt work unplug the PSU and let it sit for about 5mins and plug the PSU in and try it

u can use VIA hardware monitor to check PSU voltages,are those voltages being checked in the BIOS?need to see what the voltages are after windows boots up(if u can get it to).

Joebeme2
05-12-02, 09:24 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that i believe the problem is solved. I replaced the 300W p.s.u. with a 450W p.s.u. and it hasn't restarted randomly again. Thanks to all that helped.

Joe