PDA

View Full Version : ThermalTake Crystal Orb

tHE_0ne
04-06-02, 07:47 PM
Im planning to buy this fan for my Geforce 3 TI200 128MB card

Should I use the thermal paste that comes with it ?

or

spend more money for Arctic Silver2?

Also, How should I remove the stock fan / glue

XSeaNX
04-06-02, 09:10 PM
Ive heard freezing the board in an antistatic bag to be a good way to remove whatever compound they have...and as for the paste...I would use what comes with it...as you are already making a big leap in degrees...Im sure the stock paste would work just fine..but if your one who has to have everything the best...then spring for it..I just see no reason to spend more money...

Wetling
04-09-02, 01:30 PM
I'd use AS2 (or better yet, AS3). If the card doesn't use pins you'll need something like Arctic Alumina to hold it on. Or you could just use some super glue, but I wouldn't do that :)

TEH WIN
04-09-02, 06:43 PM
I was at frys today and another customer asked and employee where the thermol grease is. He pointed out the cheap no name stuff... i told him that he better get the better stuff.. pointing towards the Artic Silver 3. was 8 bucks for a little tube. he asked me if it was good for an AMD system and i said it was great! He thanked me :D

XSeaNX
04-10-02, 07:10 AM
but why...I mean the stock fan already cools enough..now your sticking on a better fan and you need the extra thermal paste...I wouldnt spend hte money...esp. not on a Ti200 unless he plans on overclocking like 200 mhz lol....but still you get my point right?

tHE_0ne
04-10-02, 03:32 PM
its at 170mhz

going to overclock to about 230 or so

XSeaNX
04-10-02, 10:10 PM
then ya get the AS....but theyre right...if it doesnt have pins your going to have to secure it somehow...and NO tape is not an option :D

RoundEye
04-13-02, 12:20 PM
If there is no way to fasten the heat sink down get some Arctic Silver Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm). This is what I used to hold the heatsinks on my ram on the video card and system ram.

You just have to be careful how much you put on, otherwise it will squish out and get on the pins on the ram chips, which will short them out.

Getting the old heat sink off can be tough, never had to do it myself. I would think that if you can find somebody with an industrial heat gun, you could heat up the heatsink untill the adhevise gets soft. Don't get it too hot or the solder will melt on the chip connections itself. :eek:

A_old
04-13-02, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye
If there is no way to fasten the heat sink down get some Arctic Silver Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm). This is what I used to hold the heatsinks on my ram on the video card and system ram.

You just have to be careful how much you put on, otherwise it will squish out and get on the pins on the ram chips, which will short them out.

Getting the old heat sink off can be tough, never had to do it myself. I would think that if you can find somebody with an industrial heat gun, you could heat up the heatsink untill the adhevise gets soft. Don't get it too hot or the solder will melt on the chip connections itself. :eek:

artic alumina epoxy :)

MikeyMan
04-14-02, 04:33 PM
Silver has better heat conductive properties than Aluminum.

I found a mixture of AS2 (AS3 is trash) and AS Thermal Adhesive was the best bet. You'll need a crowbar to get the orb off if you use pure ASTA. :)

You should also lap the orb before you put it on.. most Crystal Orbs are scratchy. :(

A_old
04-17-02, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by MikeyMan
Silver has better heat conductive properties than Aluminum.

I found a mixture of AS2 (AS3 is trash) and AS Thermal Adhesive was the best bet. You'll need a crowbar to get the orb off if you use pure ASTA. :)

You should also lap the orb before you put it on.. most Crystal Orbs are scratchy. :(

yea till u put that silver all over your core, touch it to some memory leads..and short your card out :P

tHE_0ne
04-17-02, 02:40 PM
thanks guys

I installed it today, very easy!

Now im running at 230 / 440

and the fan is great

MikeyMan
04-17-02, 09:16 PM
Awh, come on, gun that thing.

I'm at 220 / 465 with stock stuff. ;)

You can easily get 230/490 out of it (if you have better DDR sinks than the stock on both sides of the card, that is)

tHE_0ne
04-18-02, 04:44 PM
"You should also lap the orb before you put it on.. most Crystal Orbs are scratchy"

I just poped it on and, its not sractching

im at 220/450 now, and sticking to it