PDA

View Full Version : MS IExplorer v:6.0.2600.0000IC

callala mitch
02-16-02, 03:11 AM
Hi!
Installed IE supplied on CD delivered with APC magazine. Without any requested permission there is now splashed across the top of every page "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by APC". I eMailed complaint & request on how to remove unsolicited advert and, guess what, nooooo....... reply. I edited registry and removed all references to "APC" but, no luck. Any Clues.
Thanks in advance,
:)

4oh4
02-16-02, 10:50 AM
.....splashed across the top of every page "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by APC".

So it's the window caption?

That's odd that editing your registry didn't fix it cause m$ used to store the window caption (the " - Microsoft Interenet Explorer" part anyways) there. It's possible on the newer version that it's stored as a string resource inside a library or in the ie executable. If that's the case you'd have to use a resource editor to edit out the "provided by APC" crap, or just dl the official release from m$.

callala mitch
02-17-02, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by 4oh4

So it's the window caption?

That's odd that editing your registry didn't fix it cause m$ used to store the window caption (the " - Microsoft Interenet Explorer" part anyways) there. It's possible on the newer version that it's stored as a string resource inside a library or in the ie executable. If that's the case you'd have to use a resource editor to edit out the "provided by APC" crap, or just dl the official release from m$. :)

Thanks for input 4oh4 ...........:cool:

4oh4
02-17-02, 11:18 AM
np :)

callala mitch
02-18-02, 01:50 AM
Found sweet...........!, utility to regain control. Installed "Xteq" <http://www.xteq.com>. I assume this is the type of program refered to as a " Resource Editor ".
In reverance to the circle.
;)

4oh4
02-18-02, 08:04 AM
Good. I'm glad you were able to fix the problem. That's odd though, cause at least on the earlier version of IE xteq just edited the registry setting for IE's window caption. -shrugs- But it really doesn't matter as long as you can happily browse without that advert crap. :)

Actually a resource editor is a bit different. Basically when you code a program (like IE for example) you'll have menus, images, icons, and so on, and so on. Usually, the programmer will store these things inside the program or in a dll. These items are called resources and there are other programs called resource editors which give you access to modify the resources in programs. But apparently the string was stored in the registry after all.

....all's well that ends well eh.