PDA

View Full Version : painting a case

Christopher561
02-05-02, 10:28 PM
i want to take my old case and paint it black how would i do this the case is metal and face is plastic i know i need to strip and sand the case and clean the front. i was gonna use rustolium or whatever it is called cuz my dad has black but my prob is that i think i use it befor on something and when i touched it it was rubbing off after overnight drying. when i rubbed it i would get black fingers. should i use this stuff or you know of any other kind of good quality paint or spray.

m4a2t0t
02-06-02, 12:35 AM
ya u can use rustoleum,thats what i used on mine.if its rubbing off u need to let it dry longer

Christopher561
02-06-02, 12:54 PM
i think i might of know why it wasent working to well it says to put it on when it is warm.. i put it on when it was cold and i dont get it i let it sit for 24 hours jezz longer!

m4a2t0t
02-06-02, 03:23 PM
if its cold out when its drying u need to let it dry alot longer than 24 hours more like 36-48 to fully dry, maybe longer, it depends on how cold it is

CiscoKid
02-06-02, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by m0a2t4t
if its cold out when its drying u need to let it dry alot longer than 24 hours more like 36-48 to fully dry, maybe longer, it depends on how cold it is

Damn...then it would take about 72 hours here...29 outside right now...lol

Christopher561
02-06-02, 05:32 PM
well it wasnt cold cold it was like 70-75F i think maybe 65F

m4a2t0t
02-06-02, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Christopher561
well it wasnt cold cold it was like 70-75F i think maybe 65F

thats still fairly cold

read what it says on the can

monkeyhead
02-15-02, 03:16 PM
Rustoleum is the best paint to use, but it takes a long time to dry and, just think though...... if your case is grey white whatever, now, and you get a scratch on it..... you will have a white scratch... i painted mine black, and in transit i sorta scratched it, and it lookes ehhhh

Qwijib0
02-16-02, 10:57 AM
[H]ard|Painting (http://www.hardocp.com/articles/casemod101/part3/)

YARDofSTUF
02-22-02, 04:26 PM
modeling tar, it does wonders for ur eyes!!!

Mike_W
02-22-02, 04:41 PM
You all should think about another trick I used as a motorcycle repair tech and service manager. Instead of painting, try powder-coating. You do have to ship the case/pieces off to a service, but the result will be most excellent! Smoother than paint and ten times harder!! No scratching, chipping, drips, runs.
As for the plastic pieces, visit your local auto-paint store. There are special paints (in spray cans too) made just for plastics. Plastic often needs special prep to accept a coat of paint and still look good after.
If you are interested in the powder coating thing, just pick up the latest issue of "Sport Rider" or "Motocyclist" magazine and look in the very back pages of ads. If I had a copy (lately cleaned my closet and threw them away) I'd post the number and addy for the one close to me.