PDA

View Full Version : NIC Connection Icon in Win98

Mike_W
01-27-02, 11:34 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I thought I'd ask you programmers. I would like to see a "Connected" icon in my system tray in Win98se like I get in WinXP. Is there any secret way to do this? It can't be done using the normal methods through windows interface.

Suzie
02-06-02, 10:52 AM
I have similar specs and mine shows up in system tray automatically. You've probably checked this but is it checked in msconfig? Sorry I can't offer more help but it'll give you a bump:)

Mike_W
02-06-02, 12:28 PM
Well...I checked MS Config. Nowhere in there did I see where I could enable the icon for LAN connection. Are you on cable modem or DSL?
I am on cable modem, and my NIC card Properties has nowhere I can set an icon in the sys tray :( Oh well....cant have it all!

Suzie
02-06-02, 03:03 PM
Sorry Mike_W, I'm on DSL. Someone must know the answere to this.:)

blebs
02-06-02, 03:40 PM
The only thing I know of is, A: See if any of the software for your NIC from the manufacterers web site may have something for diagnostics or B: Install a firewall such as Zone Alarm or Sygate.

I don't know of any other way. I've tried looking for a 3rd party app that would do that, but to no avail. :(

Mike_W
02-06-02, 10:06 PM
Zone Alarm already installed. I appreciate your help...all of you...but it's no big deal. I just thought it would look neat to see a lan "connected" icon in Win98 like I have in WinXP.
I guess Win98 just wasn't built with that option. I always kept a "modem" icon when I was on dial-up...kinda neat to see it flashy ;)

BMED
02-07-02, 02:03 PM
Hey Mike_W,

Go to the site below and d/l this little proggy called:

LanLight (http://www.dalesplace.net/download/index.htm)

Description:
LanLight.exe is a small Visual Basic 6 program that monitors LAN TCP/IP traffic from & to your computer. The program runs as a System Tray Icon providing visual indication of network traffic. Right click the icon in the System Tray to Exit (stop) the program or change Icons. Holding the pointer over the icon will display the total number of TCP segments sent and received by your computer.

BMED

Mike_W
02-07-02, 03:47 PM
WhooooHooo!!!
You tha' man!!
Thanks BMED!

BMED
02-07-02, 05:05 PM
NP

Let me know how it works for you so I can file in my "Win98" goodies folder.

Mike_W
02-07-02, 10:57 PM
Works fantastic! the icon looks like a blue version of the DUN connection icon for modem in WIn9x. Info isnt presented as nice as in XP, but it is there and looks good!
I also owe thanks to Suzie who kept you guys looking for this!
Thanks Suzie!

BMED
02-07-02, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Mike_W
Works fantastic! the icon looks like a blue version of the DUN connection icon for modem in WIn9x. Info isnt presented as nice as in XP, but it is there and looks good!
Thanks Suzie!

You're just lucky Suzie and I just finished a long-term love affair, otherwise you'd be out in the cold!;)

Just kidd'in Suzie! :)

I'm glad it works for you, it's going in my Win98 goodies folder as we speak!........pass it on to your Win98 buds too!

BMED

Suzie
02-11-02, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Mike_W
Thanks Suzie!

Glad you found what you needed:) I was looking but with no luck. Thanks guys for not giving up and helping.

Originally posted by BMED

You're just lucky Suzie and I just finished a long-term love affair, otherwise you'd be out in the cold!;)

Just kidd'in Suzie! :)

I'm glad it works for you, it's going in my Win98 goodies folder as we speak!........pass it on to your Win98 buds too!

BMED

LOL BMED your a sweetie ;) Nice find BTW :)