PDA

View Full Version : Picking a good router...?

Rings890
01-06-02, 03:45 PM
I am looking at a couple of different routers, Netgear RP114, Netgear RT314, or a Linksys BEFSR41. They all seem to be good routers (according to the manufatures). I had a post on the networking fourm the other day and a lot of people seem to like the Netgear router.
I was also looking at an SMC router but have never herd of them before. The price of the three routers are about the same so that was not a big issue. What are you people useing? What has had problems in the past? I do a little online gaming if that makes a differance in the router I should get. I only will be networking two to three comps so a four port router is the most I would need.

Murman
01-06-02, 03:54 PM
I have the SMC router and I have had or still have (in basement) the Linksys router. The SMC is just like the Linksys but in my opinion a tad better because it has a print server and a external com port for dialup. It has all the functionality as the netgear or linksys and I feel it's much better than the linksys. I had a few minor problems with the linksys and don't experciance them with the SMC.

If you have a LAN and share a printer than go with the SMC so you don't need a dedicated PC on for printing. If you don't share a printer or don't care about needing a PC on all the time for printing then go with either the netgear or linksys.

HalfLifer
01-06-02, 04:14 PM
Netgear, no doubt!

The RT314 and the RP114 are close in features, except the Rp114 has parental features and logs.

The RP114 has the plugs in front, and it smaller.

Both perform the same, and better than the Linksys.

Rings890
01-06-02, 06:32 PM
Well so far no votes for the Linksys . . . interesting.

YeOldeStonecat
01-07-02, 07:21 AM
Here's some thoughts and observations coming from someone who has done probably over a hundred router installs by now...

The Linksys Etherfast series....one of the early ones on the market, and it's taken the market by storm (at least here in the states). While early firmware "growing pains" plagued the name for a while, it's really matured into a decent little router. Very easy to use and configure with it's "made for newbies" web admin, easiest firmware upgrades I've ever seen, and great bang for the buck. It does a decent job of providing shared internet access for average use. You can run basic host services behind it, and it works "OK". Don't forget, it's just a 39 dollar switch under that hood.....don't expect SOHO class performace from it. Fairly stable, every now and then I've seen a few require a hard reset 'cuz they lock up, although with more recent firmware over the past year I haven't seen that problem as often. This is still the router I install for most networks with just basic needs. Reason being, it's web admin is so easy, I can walk any employee through checking and configuring it over the cell phone, or teach staff easily.

NetGear series....appears more barebone than the Linksys, drier web admin to it, most advanced features have to be set through the old TelNet utility. Higher quality switch, faster than the Linksys, more stable in my opinion too. I use these more when a network has some sort of server running behind them with a needs to open ports, like for IIS web pages, mail, etc.

DLinks, SMC's and Assante's...look and feel like something that came off the shelf of Toy's R Us. Had to deal with SMC and Assante for a while....will hopefully never have to again. 3COM, much as I love them for their NICs and switches, their home routers are "OK", but the future of them has been in question for the past year, and I don't like getting things that are discontinued.

I gave Netopia a try last winter, when I and a bunch from planetunrealtournament.com, and Runegame.com, went on the search for a good router for hardcore gamers. We were sick and tired of all the problems with the common routers out there. Netgear routers were fast, but have issues with serving games that run on the UT engine. I and a couple of others got the Netopia....and found them very robust. Just not made for home users, no web admin to them, hard to configure, really meant for the IT pro trained in routers.

Nexland....my current favorite.....speed kings, and the ISB SOHO is in my opinion the fastest home/SOHO router out there. Matter of fact it's marketed as the fastest router for gamers. Great web admin, fastest built in switch I've ever seen on a router. Two thumbs up! And their Pro series routers are just incredible...especially the shotgunning dual WAN model!

BaLa
01-07-02, 11:56 AM
good read YeOlde..

I have a Linskys, I haven't had any probs with it..

actually I'm quite happy with it..

YeOldeStonecat
01-07-02, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by BaLa
good read YeOlde..

I have a Linskys, I haven't had any probs with it..

actually I'm quite happy with it..

And that's the key....that it does the job for you well. I hate seeing people bash the little Linksys...call it a p|ece of junk, etc. Sure, while it's not the most robust router out there, for it's price class, and ease of use, for most peeps it does the job well. You've got to base your decision on what you expect out of your equipment, and how you will use it.

I'm gonna keep selling and installing lots of those. Matter of fact just did another one today! And I'm logged in right now while I'm onsite with another customer of mine's network who I setup with a Linky....one of the first hundred Linksys routers made...back when they first came out.

Ghosthunter
01-07-02, 12:50 PM
Yeah but why get a linksys when for the same price or maybe $5 more you can get a Netgear?

YeOldeStonecat
01-07-02, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by davy19
Yeah but why get a linksys when for the same price or maybe $5 more you can get a Netgear?

Well, ease of use for some people. I love NetGears, I run our offices 6 meg DSL through one, and it's much more robust than the Linksys in my opinion.

But there are some things with the NetGear...for one...ease of use. Not many home users, who don't feel like taking advanced networking classes, would like to be stuck with the TelNet utility you need to do most advanced funtions on the NetGear. There are also quite a few features the Linksys supports that the NetGear doesn't. For heavy gamers who like to host their own servers, the NetGear has a bad issue with the Unreal Tournament game engine.

The Linksys I like to refer to as the jack of all trades, master of none. The NetGear, it's better at fewer things. Not as many features as the Linksys, but it's better at some of them.