PDA

View Full Version : voltage testing?

wip3out
01-06-02, 01:05 PM
I bought a voltage tester the other day, I don't know much about electronics but I am slowly learning. My understanding is that the voltage tester puts a small amount of current through a device to see if it is working. So where would I place the black and red rods from the voltage tester onto the following components to see if they were "dead" or not??

-Processor
-Motherboard
-Graphics Card
-Ram Stick
-PCI Cards

no Flaming Plz. Thanks. :D

syncmaster
01-06-02, 01:23 PM
The voltage tester ,is not used in computers .

The motherboard by it self have the sensors that will tell the voltages ,by the use of the software ..

One good way to start playing with your voltage tester ,is to start cheking some baterys ,of litle radios , or TV remote controls.

The only safe check that you can do on your computer ,is the voltage in the connectors that power up the CD roms or hard drives .

Find one connector that is free .
Set your voltage tester to the scale of 20 DC .
Use the black lead in one of the two black cables ,that is on the midle of the Connector .
There is also one Red cable ,from the one side , also a Yellow from the other ..

Now if you touch with the Red lead one of those cables , you will take numbers in your tester as +5 Volts and from the other +12 Volts .

Thats it :)

wip3out
01-06-02, 01:28 PM
I feel Stoopid. :rotfl:

thanks Syncmaster.

syncmaster
01-06-02, 01:34 PM
Once ,all of as , was feeling stoopid ,at the begining ... :D

MagicMikey
01-06-02, 02:07 PM
Ya, soon you'll be craving for a multi-meter... ;)