PDA

View Full Version : Recording directv on computer

chipvideo
01-06-02, 09:35 AM
Ok I want to know what hardware I need. I have a $50K home theather and I love my audio/video more than most.

Sony Vaio
1.8ghzP4
512 Ram
DVD-RW
WinXP home

I am thinking of getting a second HD for recording onto

YARDofSTUF
01-06-02, 09:49 AM
u need to pay me 10k USD!!!

nah get an ati video capture card, or if u liek spending cash teh radeon 8500DV with capture on it, and a 100gig drive for recording would sound right.

or u could just get tivo lol

chipvideo
01-06-02, 10:00 AM
LOL at the tivo comment. I was leaning towards the ati card. The only thing I understand is there are many other software and hardware that works better and more interpolarible together. I just hate to go out and spend $300 on somethign and find out its crap. How about using my linksys router. Would I be able to send the signel from my computer to my home theater or should I just record everything onto dvd's.

lord_yuri
01-06-02, 10:07 AM
your talking about a video out the radeon 8500DV has it. go for the radeon it has great quality great perfromance and is pretty cheap. video out will let you output what's on your computer screen to a tv. go here for details http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/aiw_radeon_8500/index.html

chipvideo
01-06-02, 10:15 AM
Ok what about the audio in and out. I love my 5.1 surround.

chipvideo
01-06-02, 10:22 AM
I also noticed the ati only has 30 frames per second. Is that enough to look as good as my directv is when I watch it? I want my quality to be as good as the original signal when I record it.

lord_yuri
01-06-02, 10:37 AM
the standard NTSC frame rate is 29.97 basically 30fps. 30fps is full tv frame rate. did you go to the link? the radeon 8500dv has digital audio out and tv out.

from the site:
Connectors

DVI-I (15 pin VGA adaptor included)

Stereo audio, S-video and composite video inputs and outputs

External stereo connection to sound card’s line input and output

Dolby® digital stereo audio output (S/PDIF)

Two external IEEE 1394/iLink™/FireWire® ports

bigswing
01-06-02, 10:52 PM
I run the the ATI card and have Direct TV. The video on the TV from the ATI card is a good as the original Sat input. With the digital audio out the sound quality is the same (digital dolby DTS). You will never know the difference. lol:D

terrancelam
01-06-02, 10:56 PM
Though I'm sure the general public isn't aware of it, all video transmissions in vhs, dvd and sat, are all encoded with "Macrovision". All ATI video card with tivo or vivio had it by default enabled. *cough and disappears*