PDA

View Full Version : What is the hardware that you will never buy one ..

syncmaster
01-05-02, 07:22 PM
Yap this is one .. i never buy thread ..

Tell me what is the hardware that you will never buy and some comments too ..

brembo
01-05-02, 07:26 PM
Cray MPZ

I seem to have misplaced my millions of dollars somewhere.

fartface
01-05-02, 07:42 PM
i am never going to buy another set of wireless headphones, the transmitters SUCK

Mark
01-05-02, 07:44 PM
DVD drive 'cause i see no need for it.

el bob
01-05-02, 07:54 PM
in ear headphones

YARDofSTUF
01-05-02, 07:56 PM
that new refrigerator that lets u access it from teh web

Qwijib0
01-05-02, 07:56 PM
Any product by the following companies:

AMD
VIA
nVidia
Realtek

Qwijib0
01-05-02, 07:58 PM
you want a "why" too?

AMD - I prefer cool running stability
VIA - Ever wonder why they always have an "A" chipset :rolleyes:
nVidia - Screwed us former 3dfxers, top of the line stuff too expensive
Realtek - I have better uses for my cpu cycles

Faust
01-05-02, 08:09 PM
anything using an ALi or SiS chipset.

anything with "Packard Bell" silkscreened on the front.... even if they do come back from the grave.

anything that smells like a dirty pair of sweatsocks.

anything expensive for a woman i haven't slept with yet.

YARDofSTUF
01-05-02, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Qwijib0
you want a "why" too?

Realtek - I have better uses for my cpu cycles

u mena the realtek stuf works enough to use cpu cycles?

terrancelam
01-05-02, 08:13 PM
I'd have to say that I wouldn't buy from Creative, when it comes to burners and cd-rom type devices. When it comes to sound, they know their crap, but with everything else, they know jack *****.

As for Realtek stuff, I used it because A, it's cheap and it works very well for what it is.

Mark
01-05-02, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

u mena the realtek stuf works enough to use cpu cycles?

ya i got a realtek but the price was right , free after rebates.

need to get something a little better.

Qwijib0
01-05-02, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam

As for Realtek stuff, I used it because A, it's cheap and it works very well for what it is.

I agree, it works well as a cheap low-end POS NIC for 10Base-T connections-- since that's what it is.

However, when heading into 100Base-T and 1000Base-T land... I want a more experienced Pro. Like a Pro/100, Pro/1000 or 3c90x series.

terrancelam
01-05-02, 08:29 PM
for most ADSL/G-lite and Cable users, I don't think we'll be using that 10mb full capacity of it anytime soon. Plus I'm not some insane data transfer guy for my home network, so it works great for the price I paid for it (Like $20CAD!). But your right, for a high end business or corporate network I would definately go somewhere else like 3Com.

lord_yuri
01-05-02, 08:58 PM
anything hewlett packard.

Jon
01-05-02, 09:00 PM
Anything Packard Bell
Anything Quantex
Anything Gateway

Mark
01-05-02, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by lord_yuri

i geuss i was lucky 'cause my HP is 2.5 years old and still going strong , have never even reformated the damn thing but will soon

mvern2
01-05-02, 09:55 PM
any "brand name" pc

MagicMikey
01-05-02, 10:23 PM
I don't ever think I'd get a router, I'm currently using a hub and still debating if it's worth it to get a router. I don't want any of my Internet access problems being related to a hardware firewall.... ;)

HalfLifer
01-05-02, 10:52 PM
MagicMikey,

I too had a HUB, but got a router and never looked back. I have the Netgear RP114, and I didnt get any speed loss, and my gaming pings are slightly lower.

MagicMikey
01-05-02, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by HalfLifer
MagicMikey,

I too had a HUB, but got a router and never looked back. I have the Netgear RP114, and I didnt get any speed loss, and my gaming pings are slightly lower.

Are you the Administrator of the network? are you the one dealing with the hardware firewall problems? ;)

gertvanjoe
01-05-02, 11:40 PM
A good sound card . It maybe cool with all the effects and surround sound and stuff but its just too much money . I just wanna put in my 2 sattelite + woofer system and hear were they shootigs are in Q3 and CS

Another think . A 20 - 21 " monitor . I would love to have it but it is just too heavy . And if Im gonna buy it I want to take it to lan parties too and I'm afraid I just can't lift that thing .
So gonna get me a 17" that I can use at lan parties as well

BaLa
01-06-02, 12:24 AM
an Intel P4 too expensive P4s are teh ripoffs...
RDRAM why? obvious..no AMD RDRAM chipsets, too expensive, and high latency..
an american car (hey it's hardware) why? don't go there...

BaLa
01-06-02, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by MagicMikey

Are you the Administrator of the network? are you the one dealing with the hardware firewall problems? ;)

I am..
we have a router..

and what's this hardware firewall problems you're speaking of?

YARDofSTUF
01-06-02, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by lord_yuri

what brand of printers do u like?

drdoug99
01-06-02, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by gertvanjoe
A good sound card . It maybe cool with all the effects and surround sound and stuff but its just too much money . I just wanna put in my 2 sattelite + woofer system and hear were they shootigs are in Q3 and CS

Another think . A 20 - 21 " monitor . I would love to have it but it is just too heavy . And if Im gonna buy it I want to take it to lan parties too and I'm afraid I just can't lift that thing .
So gonna get me a 17" that I can use at lan parties as well

start working out!! LOL, I agree...the 20 inch monitors are 100 lbs or more!! :eek: certainly would not be fun to lug around everywhere.

I think....a DVD drive as well. I have only used the DVD capability like 2 times.....once when I first got it working, and then another time just to watch a movie....but after 5 minitues, I just said, "this sucks" and went to my room to watch the DVD.:rolleyes:

Jim
01-06-02, 01:10 AM

what brand of printers do u like?

Epson? :confused: :p

brembo
01-06-02, 01:36 AM
You all will eat yer words when DVD-Rs get in the "somewhat" affordable price range. I mean c'mon...9 gigs a side, somewhere near 17 gigs(or is it 14) storage on em? They are gonna be the next gen for storage. HDD back up will be a cinch.

MartialArtist12
01-06-02, 01:58 AM
AMD isn't stable? That's only with a bad chipset. AMD 760, SiS735, and for most, the KT266a works fine.

MartialArtist12
01-06-02, 02:01 AM
Jon, Quantex went under becuase their suppliers declared bankruptcy I think, but I have a Quantex laptop and it's doing fine, even if it's two years old. Went through a lot too and it's multimedia capabilities are pretty good since it has a crisp 15" LCD, a hardware decoder card, and it's pretty sturdy.

YARDofSTUF
01-06-02, 03:56 AM
i dont think i'd ever buy a lap top. a computer with that limited bios and mobo would kill me lol, but i would have no need for one, maybe get a palm someday but laptops are not YARD's thing!

BaLa
01-06-02, 04:25 AM
i dont think i'd ever buy a lap top. a computer with that limited bios and mobo would kill me lol, but i would have no need for one, maybe get a palm someday but laptops are not YARD's thing!
laptops are tight

MagicMikey
01-06-02, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by BaLa

I am..
we have a router..

and what's this hardware firewall problems you're speaking of?

Have you ever read the networking forum?

syncmaster
01-06-02, 11:42 AM
Very well so far people :)

As a tech my Not-Buy list , is bigger :D

Creative - CD - CDRW - Web Cam
ARTEC - Scaners
HP - Scaners
Fujitsu -Hard drives
Samsung - Hard drives
EPSON - Printers ( Scaners are Top ones)
POWERCOM - UPS
VIA - black list
NVIDIA - black list
INTEL - small HUBS ( Class B material )
3COM - small HUBS ( Class B material )
Logitech - no in all ( averige stuff)
Microsoft mouse - model EXPLORER Optic (the intellieye works better ) .
No name speakers - ALL
No name fans , with names super cooler , disco cooler , mambo cooler - jumbo cooler ..
No name CPUs paste with funny names , Artict - andarctic -shiveria - north pole and more :D

CDR media with out any manufactors stamp .
Monitors Screen filters ... bla bla protection bla bla harmfull rays ... ( at the year 2002 this is more than a myth )

Inject Refills -- Not becauce you will damage your printer ( this is a myth too ) (Reality only for EPSONS)
But becauce we all need the best quality in photo printing , and only the best ink is good enough for our printer ,so we have to stick to the original manufactor products .

Plastic Covers for Monitors - some they try to protect the monitors from dust , but at the end they kill them from bad ventilation .

Well thats it for now , if i remember something i will add it .

Brent
01-06-02, 11:48 AM
I will never ever every vebsar var evar buy:

Anything with an ALI chipset ever again - it SUCKS ASS HAIR performance is slow, dead slow

I will not buy the current P4 and RDRAM - The current P4 sucks and is a waste of money. It's too expensive, and RDRAM's latecny is too high. I can buy an Athlon XP with DDR for MUCH cheaper then a P4 and have it's performance BEAT that of a 2Ghz P4. I see no reason to pay more money and get lower performance. The ONLY P4 that seems worthy is the Northwood B CPU's. So I will just have to wait and see how those goes, a NorthWood B with DDR might be a solid buy in the future, but for now, the P4 is overpriced and too slow.

I will never by an ECS motherboard - I've heard too many bad things about em

I will ONLY stick to these mobo manufacturers - Abit, Asus, MSI, Epox, Soyo, Maybe Iwill if they would stop using those damn Ali chipsets

I will ONLY buy 3Com NIC's No other brands - 3Com rules NIC's all others sucks

I will NEVER buy Everglide or FUNC mousepads - they suck

I will NEVER buy a Razor Boomslang Mouse - it doesn't feel right in my hand

I will NEVER buy a cheap monitor anymore - I will only get good flat screen or LCD monitors from now on

I might thnk of more stuff later and i'll add to this list.....

BaLa
01-06-02, 03:23 PM

I visit it "occasionally"

I have been known to post there every once in a while as well

MartialArtist12
01-06-02, 08:16 PM
The SiS735 is pretty fast Brent. The only things faster are the nforce and the KT266a, but they're a generation after the 735.

lord_yuri
01-06-02, 09:15 PM
i like epson or canon

Brent
01-06-02, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by MartialArtist12
The SiS735 is pretty fast Brent. The only things faster are the nforce and the KT266a, but they're a generation after the 735.

i know the Sis 735 is fast, i didn't say anything about it

but the ECS mobos are crap

YeOldeStonecat
01-07-02, 06:52 AM

If you have, you'd see the percentage of problems and performance hits with software firewalls FAR exceeds the ones with hardware firewalls. And hardware firewall problems are usually just because the user is clueless on the needs to simply open a port. With software firewalls, you're at the mercy of the near infinite software combinations which can render a textbook installation and configuration of a software firewall troublesome.

Probably over a hundred router installs by now....I love 'em.

YeOldeStonecat
01-07-02, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by terrancelam
for most ADSL/G-lite and Cable users, I don't think we'll be using that 10mb full capacity of it anytime soon. But your right, for a high end business or corporate network I would definately go somewhere else like 3Com.

There's one thing important for online gamers....it's called PING. Amazing difference in ping between network cards....even at LAN parties, you'll see properly installed Intels and 3COMs pulling low teens, and improperly installed el cheapo NICs getting in the 20's, 30's and 40's....which is pretty bad for a LAN, I can ping below 20 out my DSL line and router!

CPU utilization is important for gamers.

nightowl
01-07-02, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by brembo
You all will eat yer words when DVD-Rs get in the "somewhat" affordable price range. I mean c'mon...9 gigs a side, somewhere near 17 gigs(or is it 14) storage on em? They are gonna be the next gen for storage. HDD back up will be a cinch.

DVDR's only get 4.5 gigs right now

DVD disks that are 17 gigs are double sided and double layered, i don't think DVDr's can do that

YeOldeStonecat
01-07-02, 08:13 AM
Anything remotely connected to Apple computers...CrApples!

nightowl
01-07-02, 08:18 AM
i will never buy MS intelli mice....went through 2 of them, both died because of the same problem.....cheap wiring, i've had my logitech opitical mouse for a year now and i've had no problems with it at all

terrancelam
01-07-02, 08:19 AM
I might get a 3com, but maybe in a few months. For now I can ping at 80-100 on a good server with my g-lite. (I normally hit 18K at a high on upload.)

YARDofSTUF
01-07-02, 10:36 AM
3com and netgear are good nics!

terrancelam
01-07-02, 03:35 PM
I'll look into one soon. :)

syncmaster
01-07-02, 04:04 PM
My wish is to see a benchmark of NICs in the web .

3COM VS INTEL VS Realtek .. at 100 Mbits

HalfLifer
01-07-02, 04:28 PM
3com, sync

MartialArtist12
01-07-02, 04:32 PM
My apologies, Brent. I thought you said ALI and got it mixed up with SiS. Damn three letter companies.

YeOldeStonecat
01-08-02, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by syncmaster
My wish is to see a benchmark of NICs in the web .

3COM VS INTEL VS Realtek .. at 100 Mbits

I've seen two benchmarks, cannot remember or find one of them, but if you're into some of the tech and subtle differences between NICs, much as most of us hate Toms site, this article is OK.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/network/01q3/010820/index.html

I cannot remember where I found the other article, but I remember Intel, NetGear, and 3COM finishing in the top three. It was an older article though, 2 or 3 years ago, with about 10 brands of NICs.

I just got one of those 990XP NICs to put in our gaming server. Yah, expensive, 107 bucks!

syncmaster
01-08-02, 03:21 PM
Heh , i found your sensitive spot :)

Its the CPU utilization , other way there is not need to go to 3CR990-TX-97 , as the 3C905C-TX it does the work too .

YeOldeStonecat
01-09-02, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by syncmaster
Heh , i found your sensitive spot :)

Its the CPU utilization , other way there is not need to go to 3CR990-TX-97 , as the 3C905C-TX it does the work too .

Yeah, wanted to go with a top notch NIC in this server, as it's the new gaming server to replace our aging single CPU one. You don't want to skimp on your NIC on a popular public gaming server that may have over a hundred clients concurrently connecting to several games, plus some websites, and management software, all going on at the same time. Although really optimized for Win2K servers with off CPU encryption support, it still has better performance than a straight 905.

BaLa
04-15-03, 02:55 PM
I wont ever buy EMachines :D :p

LT-73
04-15-03, 03:32 PM
Who the hell brought this thread back from the dead?? :rotfl:

Ok, I'll toss in my $0.2

*cough, ugh intel,cough* *choke, gag, cough, ugh Ati. gag, cough, choke*

Did i do okay? :p

el bob
04-15-03, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by LT-73
Who the hell brought this thread back from the dead?? :rotfl:

Ok, I'll toss in my $0.2

*cough, ugh intel,cough* *choke, gag, cough, ugh Ati. gag, cough, choke*

Did i do okay? :p

Disclaimer: I'm running an AXP 1600+ right now ( I really shouldn't feel compelled to say this )

Now read this: http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDU5

koldchillah
04-15-03, 05:17 PM
hmmm...

Canon - printers
Lexmark - ANYTHING
Maxtor - hard drives
ALi chipsets
FIC - motherboards
generic power supplies
Hewlett Packard - Scanners
Hewlett Packard - Laserjet 1000's
90% of name brand PC's
D-Link - ANYTHING
Generic monitors
Kingston Value RAM
Creative Labs - ANY optical drive
ATI - anything over a year old

probably more, but thats all I can think of at the moment

edited:

Fujitsu - hard drives
Memorex - ANYTHING
Samsung - hard drives

Shagster
04-15-03, 05:27 PM
I don't buy anything sony.

POS

And I'd rather have a Gateway than a Alienware. If only you knew what I know about them.

Blisster
04-15-03, 06:08 PM
whats to know about gAylienware, they're overpriced, uglyier than sin and already OC'd tot he max so theres not too much tweaking you can do to it. You could build theretop of the line system for half the prce they're asking for it if you shop carefully.
There laptops are very nice laptops, but still WAYYYYY overpriced.

Blisster
04-15-03, 06:08 PM
BTW whatever happened to MagicMikey????

Massa
04-15-03, 07:37 PM
Hewlett Packard
Compaq
Dell
Gateway
A Gamepad
ALI chipsets
no-name CD-R's
(intel is a maybe.... but only if its as a gift :p )

SLK
04-15-03, 07:53 PM
Where did syncmaster go..

I sure miss him:(

Brk
04-16-03, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by SLK

I sure miss him:(

Truly?

Kyle
04-16-03, 12:51 PM
Any hardware made by Microsoft (other than my Xbox)!

Kyler1

CableDude
04-16-03, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by SLK

Banned

tHE_0ne
04-16-03, 07:03 PM
Aopen
Netgear
Cheap Ram
Cheap Speakers

CableDude
04-16-03, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by tHE_0ne
Cheap Ram

Definately. Never skimp on ram. :)

porkchop
04-16-03, 09:11 PM
DVD-RW
30-inch monitor

Kyle
04-16-03, 09:28 PM
Cheap Ram Corsair XMS... no less! :D

Kyler1

Mehmet
04-16-03, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Kyler1
Corsair XMS... no less! :D

Kyler1

anything that ATI makes thats NOT a video card.

creative labs stuff, anything, and everything, doesnt matter what.

stupid stuff, like, the "pc power down protector"

i dont really buy much hardware to really say anything..

edit, oh, and rounded cables.

Kyle
04-16-03, 10:31 PM
edit, oh, and rounded cables.
I thought bout them but then said... wait a second... Why not just get a nice Serial ATA Barracuda and use those nice small serial cables that came with my motherboard. :D

Like my logic?
Kyler1

Mehmet
04-16-03, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Kyler1
I thought bout them but then said... wait a second... Why not just get a nice Serial ATA Barracuda and use those nice small serial cables that came with my motherboard. :D

Like my logic?
Kyler1

LOL, yeah, but, i dont have any SATA drives to use em on :)

sure, i guess i would use rounded cables with SATA, but their not really "rounded" more of flattish ribbon cable.

LT-73
04-16-03, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by el bob
Disclaimer: I'm running an AXP 1600+ right now ( I really shouldn't feel compelled to say this )

Now read this: http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDU5

I will never turn to the dark side, never ! :p I'll cut it off :eek: before i go with an (ugh) intel.

Tell ya what tho, if AMD doesn't make me happy, I'll get rid of all my AMD rigz and pick up knitting before i get one of those ( ugh), i hate saying it.........i..n..t..e..l. :p

Kyle
04-16-03, 11:02 PM
I will never turn to the dark side, never ! I'll cut it off before i go with an (ugh) intel. :nod:

Barracuda 120GB SATA Hard Drive : $173.00
Athlon XP 3000+ CPU : $325.00
Corsair 1GB PC3200 DDR Ram : $303.00
Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB : $500.00 (approx.)
Having a better system than all your friends. : Priceless

:D
Kyler1

mwkirchner
04-16-03, 11:34 PM
I personally would never buy anything from Gateway ... :nope:

nightowl
04-17-03, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by the snake
i geuss i was lucky 'cause my HP is 2.5 years old and still going strong , have never even reformated the damn thing but will soon

we use HP vectra's on out lan at work and they are the best/ most stable/reliable ......still like them better then the IBM's we just got

Kyle
04-17-03, 11:49 AM
I personally would never buy anything from Gateway ...
The only good store bought PC is a free one...

Kyler1

loop2kil
04-17-03, 12:27 PM
I will never buy OEM pc's again