PDA

View Full Version : Crucial Ram

cy
01-05-02, 03:18 PM
What performance am I expecting to see if I change all my non brand name ram to Crucial? Looking at amount of about 384MB. Like speed? Smoothness? or what else? :)

onetrueday
01-05-02, 03:19 PM
stability... that's about it. Plus, overclockability.

cy
01-05-02, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by onetrueday
stability... that's about it. Plus, overclockability.

Overclockability of the ram or CPU?

Qwijib0
01-05-02, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by cy

Overclockability of the ram or CPU?

both...

the higher the ram goes, the higher you can push the FSB, which increases the CPU speed.

MagicMikey
01-05-02, 03:23 PM
You overclock your RAM when you overlock your CPU...that's why you need good RAM to overclock in general.

terrancelam
01-05-02, 03:24 PM
take it from me, though crucial makes good stuff, unless you have the money to buy it, don't go that way. Just get some good branded ram, like Micron and better yet, Apacer/Infineon ram.Says you the trouble of getting it shipped or finding a store in Toronto that sells it for an actual deal.

Ahh as for going from generic to branded, what you get is CAS2 level ram, which works like a charm for more sticks, higher grade of quality of the chips, newer micron process usually and can usually run at a higher frequency, i.e 133 -150.

Qwijib0
01-05-02, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
take it from me, though crucial makes good stuff, unless you have the money to buy it, don't go that way. Just get some good branded ram, like Micron

Crucial = Micron :p

cy
01-05-02, 03:36 PM
I believe I m using 2 sticks of Infineon 128MB and 1 stick of..erm....generic, CAS3, would that be good enough? How would i determine the ram Mhz?

Qwijib0
01-05-02, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by cy
I believe I m using 2 sticks of Infineon 128MB and 1 stick of..erm....generic, CAS3, would that be good enough? How would i determine the ram Mhz?

FSB mhz = RAM mhz (99% of time, unless you specifically set it different on a mobo that supports it)

terrancelam
01-05-02, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Qwijib0

Crucial = Micron :p

not exactly....Crucial = High grade Micron.

Micron = Standard Grade 7.0ns chip.

Juggernaut
01-05-02, 05:37 PM
I wish Crucial had free shipping to Canada. I have 256MB of Crucial DDR RAM in my comp and I want to buy another 256MB stick but I hate to pay for the shipping....damn you Yankees :D

YeOldeStonecat
01-05-02, 05:44 PM
Look at it this way...do you like a stable system? Do you like not having illegal operations, blue screens, or lock ups?

Good ram, handled and installed properly, you don't get those. Get cheap RAM, and that one hiccup your system gets now and then, well, cheap RAM contributes to that.

And, Crucial and Micron are the same company. It's a division of Micron, that sells to the public. Although I also love Infineon, Corsair, Viking, and Mushkin, Crucial is pretty much the least expensive of the good RAM makers.

I also don't like mixing types/brands of RAM....sticking to all the same in your board leads to less problems.

el bob
01-05-02, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by cy

Infineon makes good ram so if you are planning to overclock and you aren't ablet to overclock your fsb as far as you would like, remove the generic cas3 stick

cy
01-06-02, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by el bob

Infineon makes good ram so if you are planning to overclock and you aren't ablet to overclock your fsb as far as you would like, remove the generic cas3 stick

Wait! I checked and the 2 infineon are 64 amd 128. So if your were me, would u sacrifice 128MB for more overclockable ability? Or your suggestion would be for me to get crucial? :)

onetrueday
01-06-02, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by cy

Wait! I checked and the 2 infineon are 64 amd 128. So if your were me, would u sacrifice 128MB for more overclockable ability? Or your suggestion would be for me to get crucial? :)

I have chosen to have 380megs of ram with a 152fsb, instead of having 512megs of ram running at stock speed. So, I chose to have less ram running faster. It's interesting though, because I might actually have more ram room this way. You see, at 152fsb i am pulling around 550megs/s. If I run at 133mhz, I only get in the low 300'smegs/s. So, the question arises if less ram can push through data faster; does it give your computer more preformance then more and slower ram? Does it almost act like more ram?

Anyways, if I were you I'd stick with more ram. If you're running win98se, then perhaps the 128 and 64 stick would be enough. However, if you have win2k or winxp; then you'll need the extra ram more then you need the extra speed.

cy
01-06-02, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by onetrueday

Anyways, if I were you I'd stick with more ram. If you're running win98se, then perhaps the 128 and 64 stick would be enough. However, if you have win2k or winxp; then you'll need the extra ram more then you need the extra speed.

Yea I m running Win XP and Win 2k Server dual boot :D
Would u suggest me to move from a 320MB Generic to 256MB Crucial or other one like Kingmax? ;)

YARDofSTUF
01-06-02, 03:47 AM
u got sdram right, get 256 megs from crucial and then another 256 when u can afford it.

the crucial will overclock some too, if u think ur cpu adn stuff can take it and u wanna hit fsbs in teh 16-170 range get the kingmax mircoBGA i have 2 256 meg sticks and there good to go at cas 2 anytime!!!

using kingmax tinyBGA on my kr7a, would love to see a micro version later on.

syncmaster
01-06-02, 01:07 PM
Another vote for Crucial 256 Megs 133Bus 2-2-2 .
I live in Greece it was my wildest dream to get some really good memory in my hands , in a normal price tag .

I had ordered 3 sticks 256 Megs ..

The truth is that all memory modules is good in default speeds,
but having a really top quality Ram ,helps you to play with the FSB , or even just to feel better ,that you did the best that you can do ,as help for your system to hit the maxed of it performance .

crazyjw1971
01-07-02, 02:37 AM
Is the AMD XP1700 CPU overclockable? I havent seen anything that says it is.

onetrueday
01-07-02, 04:07 AM
Yes, it is overclockable. However, it must be unlocked first. It's done just like it was with the tb, except it's harder. They cut grooves in the chip between the dots.

BaLa
01-07-02, 05:00 AM
you can also O/C w/FSB