PDA

View Full Version : DDR mobo that supports 1.5Ghz +

EvilAngel
01-04-02, 09:01 PM
In April I will be building a computer and I want to use AMD with DDR.

What DDR mobo can I run 1.5 + ( the higher the better )? I have been reading some reviews and ASUS seems to be getting some great reviews.

Any help would be totaly awesome.. TIA :)

btw, what chipset would I use?

Sorry if this doesn't make any sence, I never really explored or learned hardware. Thanks again.

Or even better yet, post all the hardware and everything I would need.

Got links to building a PC from scratch? That would be cool too.

Brent
01-04-02, 09:07 PM
something with the VIA KT266A chipset or the nForce is the fastest right now

however the nForce is having a few BIOS/Driver problems with mobos, it's not really the best option for a trouble free system right now

which leaves you with a VIA KT266A chipsetted mobo as the best right now

3 good ones I would recommend, Epox, Asus and MSI, I prefer the MSI K7T266 Pro 2, it has USB 2.0, a Promise RAID controller, and is based on the via kt266A and is a very very fast and stable mobo, i have 2 of em i like em so much, other then that I would say either Epox or Asus, their KT266A offering, i wouldn't really recommend Abit right now, they are having major RMA/Quality problems lately

And you would want an AMD Athlon XP CPU. The 1800+ runs at 1.53Ghz and would be great, of course you can buy faster, the fastest one is the AXP 2000+ that is just now coming out, it runs at 1.67Ghz and of course costs the most.

With this you will want a nice big heatsink and at least 30cfm (preferably a little higher) FAN.

THen of course your sticks of PC2100 or higher DDR from a name brand, Crucial for instance.

downhill
01-04-02, 10:18 PM
The EpOx dosn't have an onboard RAID yet, but to tell you the truth, the onboard RAIDS for most of us arn't really that much faster, if at all. If you really need RAID, think of getting a non RAID card and buying a seperate RAID card.

Still, you can use the onboard RAID controller on the Promise, (not sure about the Highpoint) as extra IDE ports, giving you up to 8 ATA devices.

YeOldStoneCat is using an nforce MSI board and seems to really like it. I'm using this Asus A7v266-E (VIA's chipset) and it's quite stable. If your going to go for it, get your RAM right now. DDR is going up in cost, fast.

YARDofSTUF
01-04-02, 10:28 PM
epox 266a chipset is the way i'd go if i were u, get the add on cards u need and be set, much better, epox is a great board.

YARDofSTUF
01-04-02, 10:32 PM
evil how much ram u looking to get in that box?

i got a bit more ddr ram then i need right now :P

EvilAngel
01-04-02, 11:05 PM
Ok thanks guys, I'm going to go and rewad some reviews on the boards and post back with some Q's.

YoS, I'm not sure what mobo I am going to get but yah, if I can use what you got I'll buy it from ya. how much you got?

I want to put in 1Gb of ram so I can multitask like a mofo!

terrancelam
01-04-02, 11:12 PM
consider getting a solid mobo and case. Firstly the mobo because, solid board allows for expansion later on and then some with ocing. As for the case, just for the air flowso that things don't get too hot inside and so that everything last longer.

If you need any help, I'd be more then happy to help ya.

Brent
01-04-02, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by downhill
The EpOx dosn't have an onboard RAID yet, but to tell you the truth, the onboard RAIDS for most of us arn't really that much faster, if at all. If you really need RAID, think of getting a non RAID card and buying a seperate RAID card.

Still, you can use the onboard RAID controller on the Promise, (not sure about the Highpoint) as extra IDE ports, giving you up to 8 ATA devices.

YeOldStoneCat is using an nforce MSI board and seems to really like it. I'm using this Asus A7v266-E (VIA's chipset) and it's quite stable. If your going to go for it, get your RAM right now. DDR is going up in cost, fast.

you got it reversed :D

the HighPoint on board RAID controller allows you to hool up single IDE devices on it, allowing up to 8 total on a Mobo

but the on board Promise controller does NOT allow you to hook up ide drivers in single operation on the promise raid controller, it only supports hard drives in a RAID config

YARDofSTUF
01-05-02, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by EvilAngel
Ok thanks guys, I'm going to go and rewad some reviews on the boards and post back with some Q's.

YoS, I'm not sure what mobo I am going to get but yah, if I can use what you got I'll buy it from ya. how much you got?

I want to put in 1Gb of ram so I can multitask like a mofo!
well if u want 1 gig than i would suggest 512 meg sticks from corsair which i have none off, this would be best for ocing adn gettign 1 gig without filling ur ram slots or getting the delay for accessing 4 sticks of ram. corsair would be good quality and tho they'd be 512 meg sticks should still oc.

downhill
01-05-02, 12:13 AM
Hummm....except....in my mobo manual.....it says..........I can use up to 8 devices...so maybe our info is wrong?

Plus I do see others using this mobo and doing just that at amdmb.com

Also in the Bios.......I have the option of setting that Promise controler to either Scsi (raid) or primary.........Sooooo...I kinda wondered also till I started reading.

Yes this board will do it either way. I only wish I had more control over RAID 0

Brent
01-05-02, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by downhill
Hummm....except....in my mobo manual.....it says..........I can use up to 8 devices...so maybe our info is wrong?

Plus I do see others using this mobo and doing just that at amdmb.com

Also in the Bios.......I have the option of setting that Promise controler to either Scsi (raid) or primary.........Sooooo...I kinda wondered also till I started reading.

Yes this board will do it either way. I only wish I had more control over RAID 0

the setting you are refering to (SCSI) or (Primary) simply is the Boot Order, you can set it so your pc boots either from the ON BOARD Primary IDE-O or the ON BOARD Promise RAID controller which shows up as a SCSI device (even though it's not SCSI)

And yes, it's the HighPoint that allows single IDE operation no questions asked. And the Promise on board, does not.