PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this . . . Low Temps, No OC.

freckmoto
01-04-02, 07:06 PM
I've got my new comp set up and working finally, now I'm on to tweaking :) I'm using an XP 1600+ on an MSI k7T266 Pro2 RU with an alpha PAL8045. My RAM is a 512 Dimm of Mushkin PC2100.

At anything above stock (1.4 ghz) it refuses to run even a single cycle of prime 95. Even at stock, it runs only about 500 before failure. I get into windows at 150 FSB CAS 2 fine, however I think it may be a bit unstable as after about 15 minutes of CS it crashed. Could be unrelated however. Temps have never ever gone above 35 C, that is what baffles me. I've tried 140 and 145 as well, Prime95 doesn't like em, what do you guy think?

Freck

HalfLifer
01-04-02, 07:29 PM
Off topic sorry, but hey, was the PAL8045 easy to install n stuff? Any tips or anything to look out for?

Which way were the letters of ALPHA PAL8045 on the HSF facing?

HalfLifer
01-04-02, 07:44 PM
Well, I think the big stick (512MB) cant handle the FSB, or some other component cant, so it's lockin up on ya.

freckmoto
01-04-02, 07:44 PM
For my MSI Pro2 there was only one way it would fit. It's a tad nervewracking to install. The key is that you have to use a diagonal cross pattern screwing about 2 rotations each time so to even out pressure and not crack the core. I didn't read the instructions the first time completely hehe. Even though I didn't do it diagonally it came out fine. Let me make an Ascii diagram :)

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||0||||||||||||||0||||||||||||||||||||||||

To the left of it should be the capacitors on the mobo etc. To the right maybe a few capacitors and then the end of the board toward the power supply. Above it should be the outputs ( ps2, usb etc). Below it would be ide connectors what have you. Basically, you should orient the part furthest away from the screws toward the "socket 462" label.

Hope that helps,

Freck

terrancelam
01-04-02, 10:32 PM
congrats on the new system.

Secondly, can explain more on how you are actually ocing? Like some steps you are taking?

YARDofSTUF
01-04-02, 10:37 PM
not as easy as ocing ur duron eh freck? :)

u've uped the voltage and stuff?

u arent lowering the multiplier right, cuz the XPs are locked both ways so it would funk up lower possibly

freckmoto
01-04-02, 11:29 PM
Thx Terrance :) Here's the deal. I went into the bios and upped the fsb to varrying lvls. Highest so far is 150. In turn, I upped the DDR voltage and the Core as high as possible. Still, at 140, 145, and 150 it's unstable. All of these were done with CAS 222 Ram settings.

Yes yard, I'm used to the pop it in and get a 66% oc immediately field :cool:

Freck

freckmoto
01-04-02, 11:30 PM
Just a note. The first time I put it at 150, I forgot to change the voltages. Even so, it booted windows without a hitch and would let me do low stress tasks.

Freck

terrancelam
01-04-02, 11:55 PM
...well after a bit of thought, I think one of the problems might be voltage, but then another is that, it seems to me that you haven't "burned in" the chip yet, so it's still somewhat "virgin?". Other then the board limitations, I'm sure you can force it up a bit more. But try lowering your expectations on the memory bandwitdh side (You said you had it clocked at 2-2-2?).

You should try running it for a couple days and then after that and push the vcore up in increment, just to let the cpu get used to the voltage flow.

YARDofSTUF
01-04-02, 11:59 PM
ya burn ins are the way burning in my xp for 2 days straight now, think i'll play with it tomorrow

HongKongPolice
01-05-02, 02:49 AM
You'd be lucky to hit 150 CAS222 with that ram and 2.8vdimm