PDA

View Full Version : New motherboard/cpu questions *terrencelam & brent*

Jim
01-04-02, 04:42 PM
Ever get that feeling of deja vu? :p Well, I'm picking you two out of the crowd to help me on this, but anyone else is free to join in. ;)

Anyway, while my KT7A-RAID has been working without any problems due to the motherboard for a while, I'm looking to get another motherboard and possibly cpu and ram.

The reason? The primary DV ard I use has problem with VIA chipsets (although it just seems to be ones with a VIA northbridge, don't know the full story), and there's no real workaround for it. So even though I'm otherwise pleased with the system, I'm going to end up getting at LEAST another motherboard regardless, possibly a few other components as well.

The thing is, I want something similar to the KT7A-RAID. I'm looking to stay with an AMD-based system and onboard RAID would be very nice. I'm looking for one that's also simply COMPATIBLE with what's out there without the need for a dozen patches to fix what should've been working in the first place.

So for the motherboard, what should I be looking for? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head is the KG7-RAID (since I believe the KR7A has an Apollo northbridge) and the Asus A7M266 (although there's obviously no on-board raid on the Asus one). Any others I should look at? Also, if I look at the KG7, would it support a 1.4GHz cpu (Abit's sites and manuals say 1.33, but those have been wrong in the past) or even the Athalon XP chips?

I have more questions to ask (as usual :p), but I need a few answers and opinions first. Thanks for any help.

m4a2t0t
01-04-02, 05:56 PM
the kg-7 supports the 1.4 t-bird

the kg-7 is the only board that doesnt have the via northbridge that i can think of,that also has onboard RAID.

u might consider the n-force chipset,u could always buy a raid controller card

RoundEye
01-04-02, 06:30 PM
I have two of the KG7 raid boards (well my dad has one). In my dad's I put a t-bird 1.33 in mine I have a XP 1800. The latest bios will take care off the newer processors. Abit hasn't updated their page I think since before the board hit the street.

I don't know exactly why but I've seen many of threads where the Maxtor drives have been underperforming in the Abit kg7 and kr7 boards. Here's a couple of good sites for that board, I picked up lots of info on them. Paul's (http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm) & Amdmb (http://www.amdforums.com/).

From what I have seen the disk performance is faster on the kg7 than it is in the kr7.

I have lots of info on the kg7 including modded bios so that you can turn off ACPI and stuff, just let me know if you get one.

:2cool:

Here's mine before I took it apart and gave the case to my dad. Part II is coming soon :D

http://server2049.virtualave.net/roundeye/zblue.JPG

http://server2049.virtualave.net/roundeye/zinside.jpg

http://server2049.virtualave.net/roundeye/zfront.jpg

Here's my dad's that I built for him for Christmas.

http://server2049.virtualave.net/roundeye/Routside.JPG

http://server2049.virtualave.net/roundeye/Rinside2.JPG

http://server2049.virtualave.net/roundeye/Rinside.JPG

terrancelam
01-04-02, 07:23 PM
right now, things I would have to tell you to hold onto your money. But if you really must, from what I'm told and from what I've seen, all the Via based chipset have the PCI bus problem. And the KG7 has it's own fair share of them, like it's problem with recognizing XP processors. But, all things and all, if you want to stay away from the KT266A chipset, then by all means, go for the KG7, but know that the south bridge still uses the 686B from Via.

Hmmm the KR7A is probably one of the better KT266A boards, but then again, it has a RAID array problem, where you get the 10% gain over regular IDE control.

But over all, I would have to say, Jim, unless you really need to upgrade, wait till the summer time. Then you'll see something to get, a new processor and motherboard and new ram as well. Right now things are too highly priced becaused of the scare and just give it some time, my advice. Besides, you don't see that big of a difference going from what you have to something new, not for the price you'll be paying for it.

Brent
01-04-02, 09:15 PM
your KT7A uses the VIA KT133A chipset

does your DV card have problems with VIA's newer chipsets? Like the latest one from them the VIA KT266A ? your chipset is an SDR board, the KT266A is DDR. So maybe the problem is fixed in the newer VIA chipset compared to your older one. I would check with however you found out about the problem or ask on some message boards and see if the problem excists in the newer VIA chipset. If it does, then you will have to get something else. But if it doesn't then you can get a board based on the VIA KT266A chipset. Or wait for the VIA KT333.

As for the KG7 it's a great board, I got one. It uses the AMD 760 chipset, but do note it does use the VIA 686b southbridge. If the problem with your DV card is only in the northbridge then this board will work fine for you. But keep in mind this chipset has been out more then a year, and it's performance is starting to lag behind with current nForce and VIA KT266A. And when the KT333 comes out then it will be even further pushed back.

The decision is yours, wait, or buy now. If buy now, KG7 will work great for you and works fine with AXP's. But if you wait you may have more options, at least from VIA.

Now another option is to pursue maybe a board based on the Sis chipset, i forgot what it is, i think sis 735 that is on par with the VIA KT266A I believe. But i don't know a whole lot about the Sis chipset, but i have heard it's pretty good.

terrancelam
01-04-02, 09:44 PM
only one problem with the SiS 735 chipset, so far the only mass market marker using the chipset if ECS and if I don't say so myself, they have the ****tiest bios for tweakers. Not to mention that bios updates are far and few between. It's mostly a budget system makers dream, but for anyone serious, stay away.

BTW, what sparked your interest in a upgrade?

terrancelam
01-04-02, 09:52 PM
http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/k7s5a.htm

I may pick on up for *****s and giggles. It's only $115 CAD with tax. Sadly enough, the bad thing is that the ram cost almost as much as the board!

One good thing that I can so far say is that this mobo supports XP processors :)

YARDofSTUF
01-04-02, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
only one problem with the SiS 735 chipset, so far the only mass market marker using the chipset if ECS and if I don't say so myself, they have the ****tiest bios for tweakers. Not to mention that bios updates are far and few between. It's mostly a budget system makers dream, but for anyone serious, stay away.

BTW, what sparked your interest in a upgrade?

ecs, leadtek and chaintek but none overclcok well or tweak much

terrancelam
01-04-02, 10:35 PM
after a bit of diggin, it's down to what brent has put out, the MSI KT266A offering and then there is the Abit KR7A. I wouldn't count the Asus out, but I don't like what I've heard, especially about the 4 hole mount for the kyro tech type not being the correct size!

Jim
01-05-02, 03:17 AM
Okay, here's the deal:

I'm not looking to build some powerhouse PC that I'd use as my main computer. I have two "main" ones right here. I'm looking for it to be a basic DV editing machine, along with the hoardes of spare parts I have here. The machine I use (and have been using for the past...3 [?] years) is, well, only "fine." I mean, it DOES do the job, but barely. Just the simple speeds of the components in the PC (sporting a "speedy" 400MHz PII) limits how I can use it. I want to put together a machine, using components I have and ones that I buy, to use STRICTLY as a NLE. The only other thing that might go in it would be a network card for transferring my stuff between computers.

So I'm not looking for it to have the FASTEST components, or the LATEST hardware. If anything, I'm MORE than willing to sacrafice speed or performance for compatibility. DV requires about 3.7megs a second, so technically, you can use a 5400rpm HD on a PII 233 if you felt like it. So I'm not shooting for great heights here, and in fact, I'd rather spend an extra $100 towards another good harddrive instead of getting a "better" processor or motherboard.

Okay, now that that's out of the way...according to the company itsself, the card only has problems with ALi MAGiK-1 and the VIA Apollo KT133 chipsets. HOWEVER, according to the various message boards and as I figured, its basically a problem with ALL VIA chipsets, but again, it seems to be just for the northbridge. And while I'd like go with an XP chip, its certainly not a requirement or anything.

BaLa
01-05-02, 03:32 AM
XP 1600 should suit you fine..
what do you have now in your DV machine?

a 1.0 or 1.2ghz Athlon would prolly do pretty good too and if you got a newer motherboard, like the Abit KG7 or teh MSI terrance was talking about you could always upgrade the proc later on down the road..

Jim
01-05-02, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by BaLa

what do you have now in your DV machine?

Like I said, basically a PII 400 on an old ABit mobo. The only thing keeping it "together" is a couple of decent Maxtor HD's that let me do that crap on a system that slow. But frankly, I'm tired of waiting years to render DV stuff, and decades to compress anything. :p

BaLa
01-05-02, 03:59 AM
depending on how much money you want to spend to upgrade that comp..

I would go with an AMD Athlon 1.0ghz or above

looking @ newegg.com right now..
1.0ghz Tbird 266mhz OEM for $73

Jim
01-05-02, 04:03 AM
I can get a 1.4GHz Athalon (not XP) for about $25 more, so if I went with a "vanilla" Athalon, I'd probably get that.

But I'd still have to buy that motherboard, as well as at least a 256 stick of the DDR memory for it.

And I need another hd.....

*sigh*

I love how that ONE upgrade always turns into 5, and at five times the cost... :p

YARDofSTUF
01-05-02, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by BIGJIMSLATE
I can get a 1.4GHz Athalon (not XP) for about $25 more, so if I went with a "vanilla" Athalon, I'd probably get that.

But I'd still have to buy that motherboard, as well as at least a 256 stick of the DDR memory for it.

And I need another hd.....

*sigh*

I love how that ONE upgrade always turns into 5, and at five times the cost... :p

haha welcome to life! ;) i hear ya tho, but its always fun to upgrade!

BaLa
01-05-02, 04:11 AM
Memory..

Crucial..

1x 256mb PC 2100 DDR Reg ECC = $97.19 :eek: DAMN!!
or 1x 256mb PC 2100 DDR non ECC = $71.99

or 512mb
ECC REG $197.99
non ECC $161.99

holy CHIT just noticed ram prices..
back in Sept. I bought 2x256 ECC, REG for less then what one costs today!!!

Harddrives...
suggest IBM 60gxp Series....
40 or 60gb.
if you go RAID then you'd need well two..

Motherboard....
is not that easy

Jim
01-05-02, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

haha welcome to life! ;) i hear ya tho, but its always fun to upgrade!

Fun, but I've been on a buying spree for a LOT this week. American Express is either going to be very pleased, or very pissed with me. :p

And I hear you about the ram, which is kinda pissing me off. RAM was DIRT CHEAP when I got it this summer, and I don't think we'll be seeing a low like that for a while. :(

Jim
01-05-02, 05:15 PM
So am I basically looking at the KG7-RAID then?

el bob
01-05-02, 05:38 PM
if you are looking for a raid board i would recommend the MSI K7t266 Pro2 RU

terrancelam
01-05-02, 08:06 PM
to avoid the DV problem, i guess the KG7-Raid is the best choice for you. BTW for the HD, I say "stray not from the path of the 60GXP". :)

I'm not sure how far the Via problem applies for the pci bus latency problem, it might be just the north bridge which causes the slow transfer. But I think the KG7 might be best.

Jim
01-09-02, 11:16 AM
Okay, got one more quick, easy, and hopefully not too dumb of a question. :p

Does the KG7-RAID still require the 4n1's if it has the AMD northbridge but a VIA southbridge?

YARDofSTUF
01-09-02, 11:17 AM

Does the KG7-RAID still require the 4n1's if it has the AMD northbridge but a VIA southbridge?

ya it only installs teh stuff it needs i belive

Brent
01-09-02, 11:45 AM

yes and no

if you are installing Win2k or WinXP then no, it has the neccassary stuff

but if Win9x then Yes

as he said the 4n1's only install what they need, so it won't hurt anything if you do

what you do need to be sure of to get is the AMD AGP driver from www.amd.com

just download the AMD driver pack, it will detect what you need and install it

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2336,00.html

YeOldeStonecat
01-09-02, 12:01 PM
Which software do you use? A good friend of mine, she's VERY hard core into making video's, does a lot of professional ones for training, physical therapy, and family fun stuff. Anyways, after hitting her video forums, I built her a solid machine according to what works best with her software. That happened to be Intel chipsets, PIII, was WinME at the time (as 2K was useless for video editing, ME, much as I hated to use it, has some good built in video support), I upgraded her to XP last Sept. Has an Asus CUSL2, 512 megs, PIII 1.0, ATI Radeon All in Wonder, dual 60 gig IBM GXP40 drives. Drive 2 is used just for the swapfile for the editing software, kept totally empty and defragged just for that, everything else on the partitioned first drive.

If editing is important, for me the key would be to build the computer around the software, whatever works best for it. Not to "hope" the software doesn't blow up too much on non-approved hardware.

terrancelam
01-09-02, 03:41 PM
one thing to mention, if you get the KG7, it might be best to goto the AMD website and get all the latest AGP/miniport drivers from them. Even if you are running with XP.

Brent
01-09-02, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
one thing to mention, if you get the KG7, it might be best to goto the AMD website and get all the latest AGP/miniport drivers from them. Even if you are running with XP.

look up 2 posts :D

RoundEye
01-09-02, 07:34 PM
All you need to know on the KG7. (http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm)