PDA

View Full Version : Router and Cable

Paindriver
01-04-02, 12:01 AM
This might seem to be a dumb question but.
First off i really don't know what you use a router for.

I see in some of your sigs that some of you use a router. What do you use it for? Will it benefit me to get one .... i am currently running Road Runner Cable connection and my cpu specs are in my sig.

drdoug99
01-04-02, 12:11 AM
a router will do you no good if you just have the one computer.

a router, does what it's name implies. "Routes" an IP address to multiple computers, allowing you to share Internet access with all your computers, and also files and such between your computers.

It's useless if you only have one computer.

BaLa
01-04-02, 01:52 AM
I agree almost 100% except for the fact that some routers have a hardware firewall built in...

but I still wouldn't consider that a reason to buy one (if you only have 1 comp)..

why is this in Comp. Hardware forum?

Paindriver
01-04-02, 05:57 AM
umm... cause a router is a piece of hardware:D

Faust
01-04-02, 06:10 AM
BaLa's saying that because there is the "networking forum" which by description would be more beneficial to post pretty much anything networking-related in (and he's right).

but in any case, i would still back the above advice 100%.

without mutliple clients needing their data being "routed" to them through the network via a hardware NAT device or whatever. a router would be a waste. there are plenty of software firewalls that can keep your system/data secure. NAT really isn't a firewall anyways. you would have more control of both incoming and outgoing connections with an actual firewall.

YeOldeStonecat
01-04-02, 06:14 AM
Broadband routers are not useless when just a single computer is using the connection. True one of the main purposes of routers in general is to gateway a network through a single WAN IP, but broadband routers offer more, namely their hardware NAT firewall protection. For people who leave their computers on for extended periods of time, or 24/7, this is great protection. You don't needs to use buggy software firewalls which often create many problems for many users. I see so many users have problems with software firewalls, the only good way to get rid of them is to format, un-install usually leaves enough garbage behind to still leave your computer acting screwy. Software firewalls also eat up CPU cycles.

When you need to run services behind your router, hardware port forwarding is must simpler, and more reliable, than dealing with trying to get your software to work from behind software firewalls.

Also they maintain your connection 24/7, which for some DSL users who may use PPPoE, you can toss your bandwidth comsuming logon software.

Paindriver
01-04-02, 06:33 AM
As far as the router....it could be talked about in either of the forums. Because of the fact that i asked specifically about the router and it is hardware. Go ahead and quote me:D
but it's a waste of time to argue about that.

Anyway, i am not going to use a router for firewall capabilities. I have to computers hooked up to a cable modem with two different ip's ...but i still don't think i'll need a router.

P.S. Router = Hardware;)

YeOldeStonecat
01-04-02, 07:23 AM
Well, benefits of the router...you could cut one IP and have the router pay for itself inside of about 8 months.

Do you do any hosting of any services that you need two IP's for? Or do you just purely websurf and play games?

Do you currently use any software firewalls? If not, well, a friend of mine who has had a cable setup for the longest time....with several IP's, a shared peer to peer network run though his house, he never used anti-virus, never used a firewall of any type, computers all on 24/7. Every now and then his computers would blow up, act flakey, he'd be cursing doing his reformat into the wee hours of the morn, I just chuckled wondering what got planted on his hard drives this time. He finally gave a router a try, computers seemed to last longer once protected.

Which leads to another benefit of a router...they have a built in 10/100 switch...so a nice peer to peer network can be built with protection behind the firewall.

Just one note, weather software firwewall or hardware firewall, if you haven't used them before, be prepared for some things to need tweaking to get them to work from behind a firewall. I just find router NAT firewalls work better than software, easier to configure, and no speed hits.

Paindriver
01-05-02, 12:33 AM
ok if i did use a router and one ip how would that affect my download speeds and performance online? Both of the computers are used for gaming so low ping is a must. As far as antivirus and firewalls. I use Norton on one computer and Mcaffee on the other. Both of them have the free zonealarm fire wall installed.

YeOldeStonecat
01-05-02, 05:49 PM
Ping from 17 - 30 to my server, 40 on a bad day.....through a router.

Paindriver
01-05-02, 06:22 PM
you should ping low to your server if you are close to it. But the ping should have went up if you were gaming on that server with both computers at the same time. Thats what happens with me anyway.